Increasing Vitamin D Exposing Low Magensium Levels?

Sagitarrius90

Hello All,

Ever since I've added 4000 iu daily of vitamin D orally I am getting really irritable, super hot almost a stress response. I am assuming that this is because it is driving calcium up and lowering magnesium which I've suspected for awhile. I must add though before I get this stress response I feel great, my moods improved and I feel alive again

Would increasing magnesium help here? Adding perhaps vitamin k which I see helps other people? Apparently it helps direct calcium where it needs to go and helps avoid calcium overload

somuch4food

I get a similar reaction from 1000 IU daily.

I get heart palpitations and hot flushes when taking the D with a high calcium meal.

lampofred

Vitamin K and magnesium would likely help, but I think vitamin D needs all the other fat soluble vitamins to work well and probably other nutrients that aren't yet known, so eating more liver and eggs would probably be more balanced. High metabolism (CO2) is also needed to control calcium and keep magnesium high.

Arnold Grape

I have had a similar experience, with the onset of severe helplessness after dosing 2000-3000 iu daily of D3 — which sux because it makes me feel fairly great off the bat. At any rate, I agree with what the poster above said about getting all the fat solubles: the problem is they have to occur in good proportions, which makes me think that just taking Estroban is what needs to be done.

OP
S

Sagitarrius90

Can anyone else chime in? I took 4000 iu today and again I feel wired like a feeling of high cortisol.. i read somewhere on here about how vitamin d restores cortisol sensitivity? So maybe taking it in the morning when cortisol is naturally higher is a bad idea? I feel high cortisol symptoms really and again I take all fat soluble vitamins. Magnesium and vitamin a apparently help alot and of course k2.

Maybe I should lower the dose but I do feel alot happier and positive before I feel the cortisol symptoms

somuch4food

What do you eat when you take the supplements?

You should try a lower dose that's closer to what you can find in foods. Maybe splitting the dose through out the day would work better.

OP
S

Sagitarrius90

I always eat fatty foods (coconut oil) with vitamin d - I will try splitting the dose.

Any other theories as to why I feel so agitated and restless/irritable on vitamin d? Only thing I can think of is increased calcium thus lowering magnesium levels. Should probably start taking k2 and magnesium.

Do I need to take calcium with vitamin d? Doesn't vitamin D already drive up calcium? And if I am low magnesium (my tsh indicates hypothyroid) wouldn't vitamin d make magnesium drop further?

OP
S

Sagitarrius90

Because I dont like to give up lol and considering I've noticed some benefits I want to understand why I'm reacting the way I'm reacting. I used to react so well to vitamin d now not so much.

Arnold Grape

Because I dont like to give up lol and considering I've noticed some benefits I want to understand why I'm reacting the way I'm reacting. I used to react so well to vitamin d now not so much.
I know this feeling, but simultaneously I won’t try to come up with the secret riddle necessary to work out why a supplement is making me feel shitty — this is more complex when things make you feel one way at the start and then become problematic later. However, it’s necessary to note when feeling too good at the start, which is its own signal. I’m not sure if you know what I mean

Kingpinguin

Hello All,

Ever since I've added 4000 iu daily of vitamin D orally I am getting really irritable, super hot almost a stress response. I am assuming that this is because it is driving calcium up and lowering magnesium which I've suspected for awhile. I must add though before I get this stress response I feel great, my moods improved and I feel alive again

Would increasing magnesium help here? Adding perhaps vitamin k which I see helps other people? Apparently it helps direct calcium where it needs to go and helps avoid calcium overload

Ime that happens to me when my vit D is saturated. Like I first get lots more focus, energy, almost get like seeing everything high definition aswell. More aware. But increased dosing or supplementing then tends to cause agitation then anxiety.

D

danishispsychic

My doctor told me to pulse dose it - like super high dose once a week.

I always eat fatty foods (coconut oil) with vitamin d - I will try splitting the dose.

Any other theories as to why I feel so agitated and restless/irritable on vitamin d? Only thing I can think of is increased calcium thus lowering magnesium levels. Should probably start taking k2 and magnesium.

Do I need to take calcium with vitamin d? Doesn't vitamin D already drive up calcium? And if I am low magnesium (my tsh indicates hypothyroid) wouldn't vitamin d make magnesium drop further?

How much Calcium do you take?
I have this little hunch that a lot of members are following the Ca-intake advice of Peat,which advises de-Facto high to very high intake of it.A lot of folks drink up to a Gallon of milk/d,which would net you 4.800mg of Ca,all of it utmost available.Combination with even the tiny D amounts like 2000IU or even 1000IU results in hypercalcemia or related conditions?The little hunch is that the Ca-intake peat recommends for the benefit of PTH-suppression is under the influence of D-sufficiency too high,maybe because of hyperresponse or illness,also high sodium disrupts,in my opinion, Orderly Calcium-metabolism.
And ofc Magnesium-deficiency,which some voice the opinion must be kept close to 1:1 Ratio
with Calcium,which is impossible at an rather extreme intake lvl like 4800mg Ca/d.
Calcium can be used as suppressor for PTH,but the most safe and stable physiologic
agent isnt megadosed Ca,but High-Dosed D with more moderate Ca-intakes-
thoughts?

LucH

Any other theories as to why I feel so agitated and restless/irritable on vitamin d?
You need Mg to assimilate vit D. Not enough Mg then if high level vit D is needed. used up.
=> Between 360 and 450 mg Mg. More if stress (Ca fires Mg up).

lvysaur

Around 1/3 to 1/2 of Europeans are falsely vitamin D "deficient" (actually sufficient)

None of the vitamin D tests account for vitamin-D-binding-protein. This is like looking at sex hormones without accounting for SHBG. Garbage in garbage out

African People Aren't Vitamin D Deficient

Frankdee20

Ironically one needs ATP to retain Magnesium, but this is largely a Calcium driven enzyme ... Adequate Thyroid functionality also spares Magnesium

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals