Optimal vitamin D intake may be at least 2,000 IU daily

haidut

Forum Supporter
As most people supplementing with vitamins know, the daily RDA for vitamin D has been set at 400 IU (in some countries up to 800 IU) daily, despite no evidence that such doses do anything beneficial, including even the basic target - preventing rickets. More recent studies have argues that the daily supplementation limit, especially in the winter, should be at least 5,000 IU daily. However, such studies usually get viciously attacked by public health authorities and Big Pharma with arguments that such doses carry high risk of dangerous side effects such as hypercalcemia, soft tissue calcification, kidney disease, and even seizures. The study below is perhaps the first to demonstrate that in order to achieve the optimal range of serum vitamin D levels, an adult needs to supplement with at least 2,000 IU daily, that at such doses there is virtually no risk of serious side effects, and that daily dosing is more effecting the than a high, bolus, weekly or monthly dosing. In fact, the study found that a significant portion of the general population (e.g. those with obesity, chronic inflammatory conditions, diabetes, etc) may need quite a bit more than 2,000 IU daily in order to achieve optimal serum levels.

Vitamin D Supplementation: A Review of the Evidence Arguing for a Daily Dose of 2000 International Units (50 µg) of Vitamin D for Adults in the General Population
New study recommends 2000 IU daily vitamin D supplementation
"...Further, the authors noted that randomized controlled trials (RCTs) testing 25(OH)D needs may be biased towards healthy people who may not accurately represent the general population, especially those with obesity. In fact, optimal serum 25(OH)D concentrations for most chronic diseases are slightly above 75 nmol/L (30 ng/mL). Thus, obese individuals, individuals with higher body mass index (BMI), and patients with malabsorption syndromes may require higher doses of vitamin D to increase their serum 25(OH)D levels. Some may not meet the threshold even after supplementing with daily 2000 IUs of vitamin D, like patients with inflammatory bowel disease during episodes of high disease activity."

"...Recent RCTs like the Vitamin D and OmegA-3 Trial (VITAL) gathered safety data on using 2000 IU of vitamin D/day in general adult populations who showed no signs of vitamin D toxicity for 5.3 years, indicating the safety of this daily dosage. Further, a meta-analysis of 15 vitamin D RCTs found no increase in kidney stones when supplementing with ≥70 µg of vitamin D for at least one year."

"...Adherence to conservative dosing regimens not exceeding 800 IU (20 µg) of vitamin D per day may not sufficiently treat vitamin D deficiency, considering the heterogeneity in inter-individual dose-response and accounting for the multiple clinical factors involved, such as obesity, malabsorption syndromes, and medications that impair vitamin D metabolism. This review revealed that daily vitamin D supplementation was more effective than intermittent bolus dosing in adults. However, precaution is needed for older and diseased individuals, who are more prone to adverse effects of vitamin D overdosing. "

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
As most people supplementing with vitamins know, the daily RDA for vitamin D has been set at 400 IU (in some countries up to 800 IU) daily, despite no evidence that such doses do anything beneficial, including even the basic target - preventing rickets. More recent studies have argues that the daily supplementation limit, especially in the winter, should be at least 5,000 IU daily. However, such studies usually get viciously attacked by public health authorities and Big Pharma with arguments that such doses carry high risk of dangerous side effects such as hypercalcemia, soft tissue calcification, kidney disease, and even seizures. The study below is perhaps the first to demonstrate that in order to achieve the optimal range of serum vitamin D levels, an adult needs to supplement with at least 2,000 IU daily, that at such doses there is virtually no risk of serious side effects, and that daily dosing is more effecting the than a high, bolus, weekly or monthly dosing. In fact, the study found that a significant portion of the general population (e.g. those with obesity, chronic inflammatory conditions, diabetes, etc) may need quite a bit more than 2,000 IU daily in order to achieve optimal serum levels.

Vitamin D Supplementation: A Review of the Evidence Arguing for a Daily Dose of 2000 International Units (50 µg) of Vitamin D for Adults in the General Population
New study recommends 2000 IU daily vitamin D supplementation
"...Further, the authors noted that randomized controlled trials (RCTs) testing 25(OH)D needs may be biased towards healthy people who may not accurately represent the general population, especially those with obesity. In fact, optimal serum 25(OH)D concentrations for most chronic diseases are slightly above 75 nmol/L (30 ng/mL). Thus, obese individuals, individuals with higher body mass index (BMI), and patients with malabsorption syndromes may require higher doses of vitamin D to increase their serum 25(OH)D levels. Some may not meet the threshold even after supplementing with daily 2000 IUs of vitamin D, like patients with inflammatory bowel disease during episodes of high disease activity."

"...Recent RCTs like the Vitamin D and OmegA-3 Trial (VITAL) gathered safety data on using 2000 IU of vitamin D/day in general adult populations who showed no signs of vitamin D toxicity for 5.3 years, indicating the safety of this daily dosage. Further, a meta-analysis of 15 vitamin D RCTs found no increase in kidney stones when supplementing with ≥70 µg of vitamin D for at least one year."

"...Adherence to conservative dosing regimens not exceeding 800 IU (20 µg) of vitamin D per day may not sufficiently treat vitamin D deficiency, considering the heterogeneity in inter-individual dose-response and accounting for the multiple clinical factors involved, such as obesity, malabsorption syndromes, and medications that impair vitamin D metabolism. This review revealed that daily vitamin D supplementation was more effective than intermittent bolus dosing in adults. However, precaution is needed for older and diseased individuals, who are more prone to adverse effects of vitamin D overdosing. "
Haidut,
Thanks.
Is there any evidence that low dose Vit D is needed even for folks whose D levels are 60 or higher in the winter (from using a Vit D lamp)?

Runenight201

Isn't the risk for hyper calcemia nullified if one supplements D with K2? What I don't know is the optimal dosing ratio, but I am currently doing 5k IU per day along with 10mg of K2 MK4.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
However, such studies usually get viciously attacked by public health authorities and Big Pharma with arguments that such doses carry high risk of dangerous side effects such as hypercalcemia, soft tissue calcification, kidney disease, and even seizures.
Do you know why its attacked like that Georgi? It is the "forbidden fruit" play. Yet, they make it so readily available and you do too and have fallen for their tricks. You can walk into any store and buy as much vitamin D as you want. If it was so good, they would make it hard to get. If vitamin D is so great, why has it not healed society? More people then ever have taken vitamin D during/after the pandemic and yet society is sicker then ever. Walk into any store and tell me if you can buy Nicotinic Acid. You are gonna have to work hard to find it, but, you can find Niacinamide no problem at all and that is what all the foods are fortified with.
Isn't the risk for hyper calcemia nullified if one supplements D with K2? What I don't know is the optimal dosing ratio, but I am currently doing 5k IU per day along with 10mg of K2 MK4.
Listen to how rediculous that sounds. You are literally saying you need an antidote for a toxin.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut,
Thanks.
Is there any evidence that low dose Vit D is needed even for folks whose D levels are 60 or higher in the winter (from using a Vit D lamp)?

If your serum levels are above 30, as the study says, there is probably no need to supplement.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Yes, quite a few studies show vitamin K can mitigate the risk of hypercalcemia, due to too much vitamin D or other causes (high PTH due to dietary calcium deficiency). However, as the study says, risk of hypercalcemia for doses in the 2,000 IU - 4,000 IU range are virtually nill.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Listen to how rediculous that sounds. You are literally saying you need an antidote for a toxin.

This doesn't make sense to me. Epidemiological evidence suggests that those with low Vitamin D are at higher risk of all-cause mortality. Mechanistically, your body can't absorb calcium from the intestines without Vitamin D. How does that make it a toxin?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you know why its attacked like that Georgi? It is the "forbidden fruit" play. Yet, they make it so readily available and you do too and have fallen for their tricks. You can walk into any store and buy as much vitamin D as you want. If it was so good, they would make it hard to get. If vitamin D is so great, why has it not healed society? More people then ever have taken vitamin D during/after the pandemic and yet society is sicker then ever. Walk into any store and tell me if you can buy Nicotinic Acid. You are gonna have to work hard to find it, but, you can find Niacinamide no problem at all and that is what all the foods are fortified with.

Almost half of the US population has vitamin D deficiency. On the other hand, only about 3% take 2,000+ IU daily.

So, I don't think based on those facts we can conclude that: 1) vitamin D is dangerous, considering the widespread deficiency matches the background of high rates of so many chronic conditions and 2) that supplementing with vitamin D has failed to fix the issues considering less than 5% of people take an amount that is needed to correct the deficiency.
I know at least 4 people first-hand who normalized their blood sugar and reversed their pre-diabetes without doing anything except taking 5,000 IU daily. No exercise and no change in diet.
Now, can vitamin D be dangerous if used carelessly and without matching for calcium intake? Yes. But even in terminal cancer patients (with already established hypercalcemia, as most cancer patients have), taking 50,000 IU daily did nothing bad, kept them alive, and put their cancer in remission.

ddjd

whenever i take vitamin d i notice symptomns of higher cortisol

Soren

Forum Supporter

Why would vitamin D be a toxin just because it functions better with vitamin K? Many vitamins and minerals work in tandem with others and can be bad for the body when taken in a high dose in isolation. Potassium and magnesium work synergistically together but having too much of one or the other can cause issues but this does not mean that either one is a toxin.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

crsnpalmer

What symptoms of toxicity or markers in bloodwork could we look out for if supplementing vitamin D? I haven't noticed any side effects. 29ng/dl(January 23) to 89 ng/dl (january 24). No supplementation in the summer. 2,000-4,000ius in the winter.

Soren

Forum Supporter

Abundant Life

From time to time I would come across information where it is suggested to take super large doses of 10,000+ IU of Vitamin D for chronic conditions such as hashimotos, hypothyroid and I think arthritis too. At first I thought it was insane because the RDA is very, very low and most Vitamin D supplements are well below 10,000 IU. But the more I think about it, our society as a whole spends so much more time indoors, in front of screens compared to our ancestors. It may not be the only reason why our society is so sick, but I do believe it is a big one.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That is a very high dose of Vitamin D but i would wager that the ashwaganda is much more likely to be causing him the negative feelings of depression. i think that is a very overrated herb that can cause a lot of problems. Lots of people reported a mental numbness similar to SSRIs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ7936QkPg4

He is a chiropractor who has said time and time again he is seeing the effects of vitamin D supplementation is having on his patients by destroying them and literally turning them into stone. It might make you feel good for a while because it is a steroid but it is literally killing you softly.

Soren

Forum Supporter
There are people who follow things like the Coimbra Protocol which uses high dose Vitamin D to treat life long chronic conditions like Multiple Sclerosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis that have had life changing results.

Coimbra Protocol Testimonies

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals