In the last 2 months my vitamin d has lowered by 10 even though I've been taking a lot

ironfist

Does some process use up vitamin D?

During October I was 50ng/ml.

I have been taking 6,000 iu per day. In the past, I have raised my d3 levels by 9ng in 90 days supplementing 1,300iu per day. I am very low bodyfat which means I hold vitamin d more easily.

Anyway, I have been taking 6,000iu per day for approximately 8 weeks and my vitamin d went down 10ng.

Does this sound like a bad test?

Is there something which significantly accelerates the need for vitamin d?

The only other supplements I've taken are Mk4 mk7 collagen and sometimes a daily dose of quercetin. And occasionally thiamine.

I'm not interested in any "u need 50,000 iu per day" type nonsense. I know how my body responds to d3 and I carefully observe my labs and serum calcium, a process I have done for the last 9 years.

My vitamin d is nature made.

David PS

This article lists the usual suspects.

OP
I

ironfist

The only thing I could think of is that I recently thought I was getting sick, was I sick but I am mostly better now except I have a phlegmy cough once or twice when I wake up in the morning. I don't think this would do it.

I'm just so confused why, when taking big doses of Vitamin D, my levels seriously decreased? What would have happened during those 2 months if I wasn't totally taking any???

I was taking dry Vitamin D some people say that's better and some say it's worse I was taking it after my shake in the morning with walnuts so they had some fat. But it's the same kind and the same bottle I was using before when I got my Vitamin D up to 50ng.

OP
I

ironfist

This article lists the usual suspects.
Hey I appreciate you posting this. Those things don't seem to apply to me, however. Except I used a different lab but I don't know why that would matter. Will try to retest in a month I guess.

OP
I

ironfist

Because 10ng drop in 2 months WHILE taking 6,000iu a day? That doesn't even make sense, especially for my biology.

RealNeat

The opposite happened to me. I took essentially no vitamin D and my levels are 101ng/ml apparently...

aniciete

Very strange. I got 30+ minutes of sun a day all summer long and my vit d level went from 25 to 26. How’s your liver health?

RealNeat

Very strange. I got 30+ minutes of sun a day all summer long and my vit d level went from 25 to 26. How’s your liver health?
I have slightly elevated liver enzymes. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Korven

I have been taking 6,000 iu per day. In the past, I have raised my d3 levels by 9ng in 90 days supplementing 1,300iu per day. I am very low bodyfat which means I hold vitamin d more easily.

Anyway, I have been taking 6,000iu per day for approximately 8 weeks and my vitamin d went down 10ng.

The only other supplements I've taken are Mk4 mk7 collagen and sometimes a daily dose of quercetin. And occasionally thiamine.

I'm not interested in any "u need 50,000 iu per day" type nonsense. I know how my body responds to d3 and I carefully observe my labs and serum calcium, a process I have done for the last 9 years.

"Serum 25-(OH)D is a negative acute phase reactant, which has implications for acute and chronic inflammatory diseases. Serum 25-(OH)D is an unreliable biomarker of vitamin D status after acute inflammatory insult. Hypovitaminosis D may be the consequence rather than cause of chronic inflammatory diseases." Vitamin D: a negative acute phase reactant - PubMed

Sickness and inflammation can cause vitamin D levels to drop. Healthy people tend to have "better" vitamin D levels because they are not sick/inflamed. Have you had any health issues, infections etc during this period?

VonKeister

Low blood calcium causes vitamin D to be converted into other forms. Not eating enough calcium and/or consuming too much phosphate will lower you vitamin D level. High prolactin and light deficiency could be other causes

GTW

Optimum Mg will reduce high D and increase low D. Magnesium, A and D are tightly correlated.

syncronicity

I think haidut posted a thread that estrogen lowers D. If you got sick, thyroid would wane with rising cortisol, and estrogen follows. Has your vitamin A or light exposure declined?

David PS

OP
I

ironfist

Low blood calcium causes vitamin D to be converted into other forms. Not eating enough calcium and/or consuming too much phosphate will lower you vitamin D level. High prolactin and light deficiency could be other causes
Serum calcium 9.7, which is basically lower than it usually is (I tend to get hypercalcemia after D).

Law

I'm just so confused why, when taking big doses of Vitamin D, my levels seriously decreased? What would have happened during those 2 months if I wasn't totally taking any???
The timeframe you're talking about is October–December. Have you considered the simple explanation that the onset of winter, coupled with daylight savings time, means you are likely getting less sunlight and hence less endogenous production of Vitamin D?

cs3000

Could be not enough or not the right fatty food at the same time, maybe the walnuts wern't good enough
from what i remember 1 study showed basically zero increase in blood levels in the group who took it without fatty meal

or could just be variation in the testing like u mentioned if its a different company

or degraded supplement maybe if it was opened for a while? probably good to get a fresh batch if its been open for a year
if you meant the same actual bottle from before then that would be my bet. otherwise could try taking at the same time as a decent amount of oil.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals