A very confusing month? (vitamin D, magnesium, liver)

gaze

@Quelsatron if you havnt got a new blood test yet, i think adding pth in to your next labs would be smart. high PTH is the biggest risk when vitamin d is really low

Gustav3Y

i think prolactin can also do it although i'm not sure if it goes through the PTH or if it does it independently. i think ray said PTH should be bottom of the range, although a PTH in the middle doesn't necessarily indicate it's pulling calcium from the bones cause PTH has other jobs also, but having it lower is probably better. do you eat any calcium ?
Prolactin was 6 ng/ml with the same tests (Calcium, PTH), generally that is my Prolactin level when I do blood tests, basically low.
Currently calcium seems to affect my health (under investigation for some time, various doctors, IMRs, all the things).

Probably there has to be some other mechanism to pull calcium from the bones, I would guess.
I try to understand why my calcium is not low, but rather upper normal range, because for sure it is not because of food or supplementation, which non-calcium orientated.
I have supplemented slightly with magnesium but that does not drive calcium low, even if it can slightly raise serum magnesium (all withing normal levels)

OP
Quelsatron

Quelsatron

@Quelsatron if you havnt got a new blood test yet, i think adding pth in to your next labs would be smart. high PTH is the biggest risk when vitamin d is really low
I had a pth test when diagnosed, it was in the middle of the range, my calcium was almost at the top but still within range. I don't think my calcium metabolism is very troublesome for how low my vitamin d is, something else has to explain these huge fluctuations in energy

youngsinatra

Low vitamin D and low calcium intake might increase calcium via moderate PTH stimulation. I think maximum suppression of PTH happens around 40ng/ml+.

Balancing the calcium:phosphate ratio is very important for well-being in my experience. I had neglected it for too long.

Belsazar

@youngsinatra

Thats from Thorne Research ... conflict of interest? Where is the reference for the part highlighted in bold?
"he consensus of scientific understanding appears to be that vitamin D deficiency is reached for serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) levels less than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L), insufficiency in the range from 20-32 ng/mL, and sufficiency in the range from 33-80 ng/mL, with normal in sunny countries 54-90 ng/mL, and excess greater than 100 ng/mL. "

Vitamin D mortality has a U-shaped curve, indicating there is a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.
Figure 1: Plasma vitamin D and mortality in older men: a community-basedprospective cohort study (doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2010.29749.)

(summed up here: )

LadyRae

Low vitamin D and low calcium intake might increase calcium via moderate PTH stimulation. I think maximum suppression of PTH happens around 40ng/ml+.

Balancing the calcium:phosphate ratio is very important for well-being in my experience. I had neglected it for too long.
Did you get your vitamin D results back?

OP
Quelsatron

Quelsatron

Test results came back quickly, i now have a level of 102 nmol, which pretty much is considered great. I don't feel great, but it's comparatively alright, i felt pretty good this morning. I think the experiment has ended, the variable no longer needs to be isolated and I can try other stuff. Which is about time, because I'm in terrible shape athletically and drink way too much coffee. I'm still going to be taking about 5000 IU a day though, at least as long as I don't get good sunlight.

LadyRae

Test results came back quickly, i now have a level of 102 nmol, which pretty much is considered great. I don't feel great, but it's comparatively alright, i felt pretty good this morning. I think the experiment has ended, the variable no longer needs to be isolated and I can try other stuff. Which is about time, because I'm in terrible shape athletically and drink way too much coffee. I'm still going to be taking about 5000 IU a day though, at least as long as I don't get good sunlight.
Very nice #s! I wonder what mine are.... I was sunbathing a lot in Arizona on vacation recently...

youngsinatra

That‘s great! I think the 5000 IU should be a good daily maintenance dose, which probably keeps your level around 40-50mg/ml.

Now you have one problem solved and don‘t need to worry about it much anymore.

Now you can move one and fix other potential problems.

OP
Quelsatron

Quelsatron

That‘s great! I think the 5000 IU should be a good daily maintenance dose, which probably keeps your level around 40-50mg/ml.

Now you have one problem solved and don‘t need to worry about it much anymore.

Now you can move one and fix other potential problems.
Yeah, although I would like to achieve that euphoric hyper state again, or at least the mildly pleased state that preceded it. Maybe i should try some liver again, my dad had a nice recipe

youngsinatra

By the way do you also take vitamin K2?
Do you take vitamin A as retinol?
I had pretty good experience with supplemental vitamin D:A ratio of 1:4 and additional K2.

A long time I couldn‘t handle vitamin D3 alone very well and those side effects ceased/reduced significantly by adding in K2 and A.

I didn‘t do this in the last months but I have become a bit colder since then and started taking this combo again now.

Vitamin D3 5000 IU, Retinolpalmitate 20‘000 IU, K2-MK7 300mcg.

OP
Quelsatron

Quelsatron

By the way do you also take vitamin K2?
Do you take vitamin A as retinol?
I had pretty good experience with supplemental vitamin D:A ratio of 1:4 and additional K2.

A long time I couldn‘t handle vitamin D3 alone very well and those side effects ceased/reduced significantly by adding in K2 and A.

I didn‘t do this in the last months but I have become a bit colder since then and started taking this combo again now.

Vitamin D3 5000 IU, Retinolpalmitate 20‘000 IU, K2-MK7 300mcg.
I take one drop of thorne k2 occasionally, vitamin a in liver when i device to eat it. I'm making chicken livers today and will eat maybe 2-300 g for this week

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals