Sudden drop in vitamin d over a month

Ippodrom47

Hi everyone!
My vitamin D as of January 25, 2023 was 38.7 ng ml (lab reference range 30-100). I hadn't gotten any sun since last August, and I'd been talking sublingual vitamin d tabs so they must really work. They also worked for me a couple of years before to raise my levels as well. Also, magnesium, dairy for calcium and vitamin k, all that stuff, hasn't been neglected.
Vitamin D as of February 22, 2023 at the same lab - 22.7 ng ml. How is that possible?
Several points:
- I continued taking the same sublingual tabs along with the same magnesium;
- diet is the same, no shortage of fat or calories, no overdose on vitamin A;
- no illness, not even a cold.

My possible explanations:
1) faulty results, re-test at another lab;
2) underactive thyroid. Actually, that's where I wanted your advice.
My thyroid is very weird, I react very badly to goitrogens despite having enough iodine in the diet and my labs for TSH, free t3 and t4 being fine. A couple of days prior to the second vitamin D test I started drinking green tea to see how it goes. I googled that the polyphenols in it supposedly have goitrogenic effects but decided to give it a shot nonetheless. It went bad, my metabolism is slowing down (I can always feel that when my stomach stops growling between meals due to migrating motor complex, and food is stagnating).
Can low metabolism cause low vitamin D on a test? Mind you, it's not the other way around, if that's the case at all. Vitamin d is basically a hormone. Can it go down along with others? Thanks!

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Elevated PTH, low calcium intake, and stress, can all increase conversion of 25 hydroxy to 1,25 hydroxyvitamin D.

I wouldn't over think it personally.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Taking any pharma drugs?
Nope
Elevated PTH, low calcium intake, and stress, can all increase conversion of 25 hydroxy to 1,25 hydroxyvitamin D.

I wouldn't over think it personally.
Can stress from working out too much also contribute? I don't know my PTH, my calcium intake is very good. Testosterone is also in the upper range.

exile

Do you take biotin? Masterjohn had an article recently that biotin could cause false high for vitamin d. My other thought would just be too low of a dose for winter.

RP said “Usually 2000 i.u. during the winter will make up for no sunlight. Some people need 5000 iu according to their blood tests, to keep it in the middle of the range.”

And

“During the winter for a couple of months 10,000 units of D should be safe, but it's better to increase calcium and vitamin K, keeping the vitamin D a little lower unless you have the blood level checked occasionally.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals