Should I Supplement Vitamin D? Low 25OHD, Highish 1,25D, High Calcium

Perceiver

Would be wise to supplement with vitamin D when having low 25OHD levels but highish 1.25D and high calcium?

Context:
6 months ago my serum calcium was at 11.2 mg/dL (hypercalcemia), two weeks later got to 10.6 mg/dL
A month ago calcium was still at 10.6 mg/dL.
Rechecked two weeks ago (after taking some low dose vitamin K2 MK7) and this was the result:
- 25OHD is in the lowish range (23.5 ng/mL) [lab range 30 - 100]
- 1,25D in the upper range (61 pg/mL) [lab range 19.9 - 79.3]
- serum calcium in the upper range (9.5 mg/dL) [lab range 8.6 - 10.2]
- PTH in medium-high range (44 pg/mL) [lab range 10 - 65]
- serum phosphate (3,4 mg/dL) [lab range 2.5 - 4.5]
- ionic calcium (1.22 mmol/L) [lab range 1.05 - 1.3]​

I am dealing with SIBO, parasites and sporadic fatigue episodes.
My calcium intake is not great mainly due to SIBO dietary restrictions (no dairy, few green vegetables)
My endocrinologist discarded hyperparathyroidism and said that my vitamin D levels are probably fine.
On the other hand, my naturopath recommends supplementing with vitamin D but I am wary of the implications on my calcium levels.​

I am worried that increasing dietary calcium will increase serum calcium even more.
On the other hand, supplementing vitamin D may also increase serum calcium.

What are your thoughts?

You have high parathyroid hormone due to low calcium and high phosphorus chronically in your diet. PTR should be on the low end not the mid or high end.

Lots of dietary calcium and vitamin K2 MK4 will help put the calcium back into the bones and out of the soft tissue and blood serum.

Supplementing with D3 is a good idea. But you need plenty of K2 MK4.

OP
P

Perceiver

Thanks @ecstatichamster

It feels counterintuitive to lower the levels of a substance marker by increasing the intake of the very same substance.
After all doctors recommend avoiding/decreasing the intake of calcium in hypercalcemia cases.

I assume serum levels are not good indicators of effective body levels. My serum phosphate level was in range.
How to asses the effective body calcium and phosphorus levels?

Could you summarize (or point me to a good and easy reference) the high level picture of the calcium/phosphorus/vitamin D/PTH interactions?

Which are other important cofactors (vitamins, minerals, diet) to effectively bring back the calcium/vitamin D system to optimal levels?

Sorry to flood you with naive questions but I feel I need to understand this in order to tackle the problem.
After all this is what this whole site is about, isn't it? :wink:

BigChad

You have high parathyroid hormone due to low calcium and high phosphorus chronically in your diet. PTR should be on the low end not the mid or high end.

Lots of dietary calcium and vitamin K2 MK4 will help put the calcium back into the bones and out of the soft tissue and blood serum.

Supplementing with D3 is a good idea. But you need plenty of K2 MK4.

is it okay to go a month without dairy like milk/yogurt, if you want to avoid dietary iodine for a month? Calcium would be quite low relative to phosphorus for the month. Like 2:1 phosphorus to calcium.

nbznj

What about lowering phosphorus then. Stick to high quality protein in low amounts

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals