Is Vitamin D induced serotonin syndrome possible? Please hear me out...

OP
Q

qminati

5HTP was the greatest mistake of my life, all the heroin, cocaine, and alcohol in the world never created the hellish physiology that 5HTP caused .... dead serious
reading sentences like this is what i need. I have just been making myself worse using this sleeping aid. I was so confused because it would let me sleep while other stuff made me worse so I assumed the low dose was ok. Do you ever go back to normal?

Frankdee20

reading sentences like this is what i need. I have just been making myself worse using this sleeping aid. I was so confused because it would let me sleep while other stuff made me worse so I assumed the low dose was ok. Do you ever go back to normal?
Just talking about my experience with this supplement and the years it took to get back to normal gives me anxiety.... Just stop taking it, it will eventually downregulate 5HT1A autoreceptors (since you are flooding brain with serotonin) and that is a whole other story.... Honestly, tryptophan may have been a safer option since there’s a rate limiting process involved.... and the excess gets converted to Niacin.... but the hydroxy skips all that, and floods the system

Aegon24

how did you resolve this issue? is there a cortisol blood test available?
fasting.
Fasting decreases the synthesis of vitamin d and accelerates its degradation by increasing cortisol.

It is the healthiest way to eliminate vitamin d from your body when it is present in excess.

Aegon24

How much vitamin D did you take? And did you take magnesium? If so how much magnesium daily with your vitamin D? Did you get PTH and calcium tested aswell?
I took 8000 Ui per day for 2 weeks.
Later I also took magnesium and vitamin k2 for at least 2 months.
coffee, sugar, vitamin b, as well as sodium, could help temporarily, but had other side effects so I gave up.
my calcium was normal.

Quelsatron

fasting.
Fasting decreases the synthesis of vitamin d and accelerates its degradation by increasing cortisol.

It is the healthiest way to eliminate vitamin d from your body when it is present in excess.
I saw the synthesis inhibition, but do you have further reading for the degradation? I'm trying to improve my vitamin D, and I'm confused as to why it was so low despite sunshine and some supplementation. My guess was a dumping effect from weight loss followed by weight gain, but cortisol makes more sense.

Perry Staltic

I saw the synthesis inhibition, but do you have further reading for the degradation? I'm trying to improve my vitamin D, and I'm confused as to why it was so low despite sunshine and some supplementation. My guess was a dumping effect from weight loss followed by weight gain, but cortisol makes more sense.

Fat sucks up 25(OH)D so having more body fat requires more vitamin D input to achieve higher serum levels. Fat-to-serum ratio seems to hold fairly constant at about 12:1.

Quelsatron

Fat sucks up 25(OH)D so having more body fat requires more vitamin D input to achieve higher serum levels. Fat-to-serum ratio seems to hold fairly constant at about 12:1.

yeah I'm aware, but I only gained a few kilos from where I was a year or two ago, the issue is that I rapidly lost weight which might have squeezed out the vitamin d from storage and then diluted the remaining D with regained fat as I rapidly gained weight. Like squeezing a sponge, kinda.

SamuraiJack

Vitamin D also depletes potassium, I've experienced this. With those symptoms it appears it may have wrecked your potassium levels.
Try to get 4-6000mg/day for a week or until you feel better. Increase retinol too.
Potassium pointers - sweet potatoes, Avocados, molasses, tomato paste, spinach.

OP
Q

qminati

fasting.

is 24 hours enough or are we talking more like 3 days?

OP
Q

qminati

Vitamin D also depletes potassium, I've experienced this. With those symptoms it appears it may have wrecked your potassium levels.
Try to get 4-6000mg/day for a week or until you feel better. Increase retinol too.
Potassium pointers - sweet potatoes, Avocados, molasses, tomato paste, spinach.
thanks, im gonna do a blood test this week to find out.

lvysaur

I believe folate, B2, and vitamin A can be depleted by sunlight.
Folate in particular for whites.

There is a very strong link between dark skin and pastoralist lifestyles in the African continent. This is DESPITE the fact that the more pastoralist Africans actually have more Middle Eastern ancestry (but are darker than the purer Africans despite this).

I believe that outdoor living, in a non-forested area, is one of the biggest evolutionary selectors for dark skin, and folate is one of the main underlying reasons for it.

Aegon24

is 24 hours enough or are we talking more like 3 days?
I have been fasting between 16 and 24 heures for 3 weeks.
It usually takes 14 hours for the body to start increasing cortisol levels.
The longer you fast, the faster the vitamin d will be broken down.
I just feel a lot of constipation as a side effect and I know it is related to the elimination of vitamin D, because since I took vitamin d 5 months ago, my stools are still soft.
Me too, 4 months ago, I thought that if vitamin d made me so crappy. it was because of serotonin.

Last edited:

Nomane Euger

Does anyone knows how much vitamine D you can synthesis per minute/hour/day fair skinned person,country like France Spain between April and august chest naked or fully naked except private’s parts between 11am and 3pm,very broadly?

Perry Staltic

Gustav3Y

I enjoy laying a bit in the sun, even when it is quite hot outside.
Now I have noticed after I sit maybe not even too much in the sun, even with moderate to low temperature outside
I feel drained.
This can can come with getting sleepy for the entire day after sitting in the sun, but not the good sleepy kind but rather slightly irritated because I feels like something would make me sluggish.
At night after too much sun exposure especially when it was under powerful sun I might have trouble sleeping.

I have tried sitting in the hot sunlight while taking, B6 5mg, Tyrosine 1gram and 2mg Copper, but it feels the same.

Anyone experienced anything like this after sitting in the sun light?

AnnaVR

I enjoy laying a bit in the sun, even when it is quite hot outside.
Now I have noticed after I sit maybe not even too much in the sun, even with moderate to low temperature outside
I feel drained.
This can can come with getting sleepy for the entire day after sitting in the sun, but not the good sleepy kind but rather slightly irritated because I feels like something would make me sluggish.
At night after too much sun exposure especially when it was under powerful sun I might have trouble sleeping.

I have tried sitting in the hot sunlight while taking, B6 5mg, Tyrosine 1gram and 2mg Copper, but it feels the same.

Anyone experienced anything like this after sitting in the sun light?
Yes, if I don't eat any liver that day. Vitamin D needs to be balanced with sufficient amounts of vitamin A, and eggs and dairy just don't cut it. So now I have a small piece of liver every day, maybe around 30-50g pork liver seems to be a good amount for me.

sousfifre96

Hmm....If this is really serious for you, try a glucocorticoid (prednisolone or prednisone).
This will help you.
After an allergic reaction to vitamin d, my doctor prescribed prednisolone. I only took it for a week and it was very effective.
Most doctors have given this type of medication to people who have a bad reaction to vitamin d.

but be careful not to overuse it because you will soon find yourself with symptoms of vitamin d deficiency and a lot of insomnia (low melatonin and serotonin ,high adrenaline and cortisol).
All you need to know is how to balance it all out

Last edited:
OP
Q

qminati

Hmm....If this is really serious for you, try a glucocorticoid (prednisolone or prednisone).
This will help you.
After an allergic reaction to vitamin d, my doctor prescribed prednisolone. I only took it for a week and it was very effective.
Most doctors have given this type of medication to people who have a bad reaction to vitamin d.

but be careful not to overuse it because you will soon find yourself with symptoms of vitamin d deficiency and a lot of insomnia (low melatonin and serotonin ,high adrenaline and cortisol).
All you need to know is how to balance it all out
i found this in the pharmacy down the street, 50mg pills, any info on daily dosage?

Aegon24

i found this in the pharmacy down the street, 50mg pills, any info on daily dosage?
If you want something that quickly and effectively removes serotonin/melatonin, try mucuna dopa de (piping rock).
This will quickly deplete serotonin from your brain, forcing your body to use the vitamin D stored in your body to produce serotonin. This will lead to long-term depletion of vitamin D.

Glucocorticoids are not very good because they are calcium antagonists. This is not good for bone health. In addition, the reduction of serotonin by glucocorticoids is only an indirect effect. therefore minimal.
The healthiest thing to do is to fast, but it is more difficult. I have the same problem as you, and I think I am 70% cured since I started intermittent fasting a few weeks ago.

Aegon24

here is a study about the depletion of serotone by l dopa