Vitamin D - Don‘t Guess, But Test!

Wendy B

Is there any dietary/supplement restriction needed before Vit D testing (doing both storage and active)? I have not been supplementing D, but I have been in the sun more than usual, been taking calcium and magnesium in supplement. Thanks!

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Is there any dietary/supplement restriction needed before Vit D testing (doing both storage and active)? I have not been supplementing D, but I have been in the sun more than usual, been taking calcium and magnesium in supplement. Thanks!
I think avoidance of vitamin D supplements for 5 days is probably best to avoid false readings on the lab results.

Yucca

I take the same amount of vit D as you (10000iu 6d/7, so it’s about 8500iu/d) with 200mcg K2, and my levels are 96ng/ml. My wife has exactly the same levels (96ng) with the same daily intake.
So it’s certainly genetics, as each 1000iu added should raise your levels for about 10ng...

Perry Staltic

I take the same amount of vit D as you (10000iu 6d/7, so it’s about 8500iu/d) with 200mcg K2, and my levels are 96ng/ml. My wife has exactly the same levels (96ng) with the same daily intake.
So it’s certainly genetics, as each 1000iu added should raise your levels for about 10ng...

Do either of you spend time in the sun (without sunscreen)? Skin produces an insane amount if VitD

Yucca

Blood tests were about the 15th February, so no sun at all for about 5 months
But we do use to spend time in the sun in summer, from June to September, without sunscreen (without burning also, never more than 1 h or so) And we don’t take added vit D in summer

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I am speculating that my vitamin D test was maybe false. I did the last one online with a home-testing kit.
Had read that someone tested with the same kit and got a result of 10ng/ml - and when he tested it at the clinic it was 50ng/ml....

Perry Staltic

Blood tests were about the 15th February, so no sun at all for about 5 months
But we do use to spend time in the sun in summer, from June to September, without sunscreen (without burning also, never more than 1 h or so) And we don’t take added vit D in summer

What are your weights like? Because VitD gets stored in fat, people with more fat need more vitD to get the same serum level as someone with less fat. I think it's about a 12:1 ratio of stored vitD to serum vitD.

Belsazar

I am speculating that my vitamin D test was maybe false. I did the last one online with a home-testing kit.
Had read that someone tested with the same kit and got a result of 10ng/ml - and when he tested it at the clinic it was 50ng/ml....
Wouldn't trust it either ...
If you go to a lab to do a blood test it will cost you around ~20-30€ (privat). Based on the amounts you want to ingest, it would be good to have a valid number.

Just wanted to add: Keep also in mind that Vitamin A can be hepatoxic, thyroid suppressive and can be detrimental to bone health. Just read a bit about "hypervitaminosis A" on pubmed. There are a lot of case studies, for example 10.000IU for 18 months were causing liver toxicity in one case. More is not always better.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Wouldn't trust it either ...
If you go to a lab to do a blood test it will cost you around ~20-30€ (privat). Based on the amounts you want to ingest, it would be good to have a valid number.

Just wanted to add: Keep also in mind that Vitamin A can be hepatoxic, thyroid suppressive and can be detrimental to bone health. Just read a bit about "hypervitaminosis A" on pubmed. There are a lot of case studies, for example 10.000IU for 18 months were causing liver toxicity in one case. More is not always better.
Thanks.