Vitamin D3 makes me feel cold

MidBicep

So I've been taking for almost a month vitamins D3 & K2MK4 (in one pill that I smash to dust and add to my milk) and just vitamin D3 (pill, same company as the other). Lately I upped my D3 dose to 8000 IUs and there was a reason for it, but I started feeling cold despite no changes in my diet (400+ g sugar, 100 grams ~ protein, low fat mostly saturated, foods were milk, table sugar, instant coffee, ground beef, beef liver and salt, which in the past has been a diet that makes me feel quite warm).
I started taking notes of my temperatures, bowel movements and overall feeling. After eliminating the D3 and K2 supplement I got a better bowel movement than I had throughout the last month. However, I bumped up the daily D3 intake to 10000 IUs to see what's gonna happen and today I felt cold all day long.
The reason I'm taking D3 is because in my past blood work I had low vitamin D, I have symptoms of bacterial infection which can be cured with enough vitamin D and also have food intolerances like eggs and I've heard Danny Roddy saying that egg allergy is usually because of low D3.
So it seems obvious to me that my body needs vitamin D, yet when I take it I feel cold all day long and I just wanna stay in bed.
I'm gonna stop taking it altogether for 3 days and post results. Has any of you had similar reaction from taking oral D3? How can I go about getting enough vitamin D until the summer comes and I get tanned?

youngsinatra

Vitamin D can deplete magnesium, potassium, copper, vitamin A, which are important for energy production, which could explain why you feel cold.

I need to pay close attention to those too, because I take 8000 IU D3, 300mcg K2 MK7 and 25‘000 IU of A as Retinylpalmitat.

I do an magnesium foot bath almost daily, and when I forget it for a few days, I begin to feel cold aswell.
Beef liver in small amounts but frequently also makes me heat up significantly.

PS in the past I couldn‘t even handle 4000 IU D3 despite being deficient in vitamin D. I think taking vitamin A in a ratio of 3:1 to 5:1 (A : D) helped me a lot.

Peace!

Hans

Forum Supporter
So I've been taking for almost a month vitamins D3 & K2MK4 (in one pill that I smash to dust and add to my milk) and just vitamin D3 (pill, same company as the other). Lately I upped my D3 dose to 8000 IUs and there was a reason for it, but I started feeling cold despite no changes in my diet (400+ g sugar, 100 grams ~ protein, low fat mostly saturated, foods were milk, table sugar, instant coffee, ground beef, beef liver and salt, which in the past has been a diet that makes me feel quite warm).
I started taking notes of my temperatures, bowel movements and overall feeling. After eliminating the D3 and K2 supplement I got a better bowel movement than I had throughout the last month. However, I bumped up the daily D3 intake to 10000 IUs to see what's gonna happen and today I felt cold all day long.
The reason I'm taking D3 is because in my past blood work I had low vitamin D, I have symptoms of bacterial infection which can be cured with enough vitamin D and also have food intolerances like eggs and I've heard Danny Roddy saying that egg allergy is usually because of low D3.
So it seems obvious to me that my body needs vitamin D, yet when I take it I feel cold all day long and I just wanna stay in bed.
I'm gonna stop taking it altogether for 3 days and post results. Has any of you had similar reaction from taking oral D3? How can I go about getting enough vitamin D until the summer comes and I get tanned?
As already mentioned, vitamin D dramatically increases magnesium requirements. With low magnesium, active vitamin B1 levels will drop which will lower glucose oxidation and possible heat production.

OP
M

MidBicep

So a small portion of daily liver and maybe a bit of dark chocolate will take care of it? I'm not into supplements, I prefer real food.

Hans

Forum Supporter
So a small portion of daily liver and maybe a bit of dark chocolate will take care of it? I'm not into supplements, I prefer real food.
Magnesium is hard to get enough of from non-gut irritating foods. Dark choc is very low in magnesium, so you'll have to eat a lot. Milk is a good source, but then you'll have to drink like 4L per day to get enough. Potatoes, bananas, spinach, oat, etc., are good, but they can cause gut irritation. Peat has recommended boiled spinach juice for magnesium, but that amount is still low.

OP
M

MidBicep

Magnesium is hard to get enough of from non-gut irritating foods. Dark choc is very low in magnesium, so you'll have to eat a lot. Milk is a good source, but then you'll have to drink like 4L per day to get enough. Potatoes, bananas, spinach, oat, etc., are good, but they can cause gut irritation. Peat has recommended boiled spinach juice for magnesium, but that amount is still low.
I drink around 1.5L of low fat milk every day but my diet is basically carnivore + sugar and coffee because I have a sensitive gut and I do feel better without starches or fiber indeed.
Is adding milk of magnesia to my milk a viable choice?

youngsinatra

You can try magnesium chloride as a footbath or as topical magnesium oil, which I like personally, because all the oral magnesium supplements cause diarrhea for me.

If you are able to get magnesium bicarbonate, then this is the best way in my opinion.

When you are eating carnivore plus dairy and sugar, you are getting very little magnesium and the sugar might speed up your metabolism, which then burns through a lot of magnesium too.

Peace

Hans

Forum Supporter
I drink around 1.5L of low fat milk every day but my diet is basically carnivore + sugar and coffee because I have a sensitive gut and I do feel better without starches or fiber indeed.
Is adding milk of magnesia to my milk a viable choice?
Absorption isn't very good from magnesium hydroxide, unless reacted, so I'd rather go with glycinate, lysinate or taurate.

OP
M

MidBicep

You can try magnesium chloride as a footbath or as topical magnesium oil, which I like personally, because all the oral magnesium supplements cause diarrhea for me.

If you are able to get magnesium bicarbonate, then this is the best way in my opinion.

When you are eating carnivore plus dairy and sugar, you are getting very little magnesium and the sugar might speed up your metabolism, which then burns through a lot of magnesium too.

Peace
Does this look good like a good way to take it?
Also some guy in the comments says not to get one with sodium hipochlorite in it, but I found one with calcium hipochlorite, is that bad?

youngsinatra

Does this look good like a good way to take it?
Also some guy in the comments says not to get one with sodium hipochlorite in it, but I found one with calcium hipochlorite, is that bad?

I would rather use pure magnesium hydroxide powder and dissolve it in highly carbonated water.

Here is a good video tutorial:

Mossy

I’m very similar to you. All my blood tests reflect chronically low vitamin D. The last two days I thought I would test larger dose of vitamin D, based on a users comment where his sister took 50,000 IU of D3 and 800 mg of magnesium, with success. Using roughly that same ratio, I took 20,000 IU of D3 and 400 mg of magnesium the last two days, and my feet have been freezing, and my morning temp today was maybe the lowest ever, 96.8F (36C).

In addition to the D and Mag, I’m taking topical K4 and a small amount of oral vitamin A and vitamin E. The reason for the small amount on the vitamin A is it makes my bones too dry. If I were to follow the 5:1 ratio, I’d have to take 100k IU.

Edit: I should add that I’ve also been taking a little B2, B6, and taurine to potentiate the Vitamin D. At least I’ve read that these do. Lastly, I am taking vitamin C as well. So, many variables here. It may not be accurate to blame the D, though it would seem to be a definite possibility.

Last edited:
OP
M

MidBicep

I’m very similar to you. All my blood tests reflect chronically low vitamin D. The last two days I thought I would test larger dose of vitamin D, based on a users comment where his sister took 50,000 IU of D3 and 800 mg of magnesium, with success. Using roughly that same ratio, I took 20,000 IU of D3 and 400 mg of magnesium the last two days, and my feet have been freezing, and my morning temp today was maybe the lowest ever, 96.8F (36C).

In addition to the D and Mag, I’m taking topical K4 and a small amount of oral vitamin A and vitamin E. The reason for the small amount on the vitamin A is it makes my bones too dry. If I were to follow the 5:1 ratio, I’d have to take 100k IU.

Edit: I should add that I’ve also been taking a little B2, B6, and taurine to potentiate the Vitamin D. At least I’ve read that these do. Lastly, I am taking vitamin C as well. So, many variables here. It may not be accurate to blame the D, though it would seem to be a definite possibility.
You are doing too much. I just take 4000 IU D3 & 45μg K2 now. Whenever in doubt, instead of adding more supps, go back to square 1. Pinpoint your problems and solve them one by one, not all at the same time. Chances are it took you a lifetime to mess things up, I don't believe megadosing every vitamin under the sun will solve everything in a week

Mossy

You are doing too much. I just take 4000 IU D3 & 45μg K2 now. Whenever in doubt, instead of adding more supps, go back to square 1. Pinpoint your problems and solve them one by one, not all at the same time. Chances are it took you a lifetime to mess things up, I don't believe megadosing every vitamin under the sun will solve everything in a week
I do agree with you. It’s only the D3 that I megadosed, and everything else was to potentiate that.

OP
M

MidBicep

I do agree with you. It’s only the D3 that I megadosed, and everything else was to potentiate that.
It's really easy to overexaggerate the importance of supplements on this forum. Focus on a therapeutic diet first and only then start playing around with supplements according to your needs. For example, my main problems are NAFLD and indigestion. Of course I avoid PUFA now, but other than that I drink small doses of coffee throughout the day to fix the first and I avoid starches to fix the second. I feel better now than when I was megadosing D3 and supplementing NDT and taking aspirin. Keep in mind it takes time to heal.

Mossy

It's really easy to overexaggerate the importance of supplements on this forum. Focus on a therapeutic diet first and only then start playing around with supplements according to your needs. For example, my main problems are NAFLD and indigestion. Of course I avoid PUFA now, but other than that I drink small doses of coffee throughout the day to fix the first and I avoid starches to fix the second. I feel better now than when I was megadosing D3 and supplementing NDT and taking aspirin. Keep in mind it takes time to heal.
I’m always attempting to fix and “do no harm”, but sometimes I do over do it. The reason for the large dosing was I wanted to be able to take my weekly vitamin D on my two days off, and not have to deal with it on the days I work. But, now I’m off work I feel so bad. So, learning a lesson.

Dr. B

As already mentioned, vitamin D dramatically increases magnesium requirements. With low magnesium, active vitamin B1 levels will drop which will lower glucose oxidation and possible heat production.
why/how does d3 increase magnesium requirements is it due to d3 boosting calcium? wouldnt implementing magnesium supplements lower that calcium down which would then defeat the point of even using the d3
I did not know d3 depletes specific nutrients, thought it was more of like it increases calcium and metabolism so increases all nutrients utilization...
is 10,000IU d3 a day safe from supplements, alongside around 6000 to 7000IU vitamin A from foods only like whole milk and beef liver...

youngsinatra

why/how does d3 increase magnesium requirements is it due to d3 boosting calcium? wouldnt implementing magnesium supplements lower that calcium down which would then defeat the point of even using the d3
I did not know d3 depletes specific nutrients, thought it was more of like it increases calcium and metabolism so increases all nutrients utilization...
is 10,000IU d3 a day safe from supplements, alongside around 6000 to 7000IU vitamin A from foods only like whole milk and beef liver...
In my experience higher doses of vitamin D (10’000 IU+) of vitamin D makes me require more magnesium, K2 and potassium and less calcium.

I am currently on a regime of 10‘000 IU D3, 400 mcg K2-7 and 600mg elemental magnesium from supplements.

I probably reach about 1000mg of both magnesium and calcium in total.

Hans

Forum Supporter

There was another study that showed that vitamin D increases magnesium requirements, but I can't find it after a quick search.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals