New to the forum and need lots of input!!!

knewberry72

Good evening :) I am new to the forum and have lots of answers and hoping someone here can help me. I am not sure who Ray Peat is, but I am hoping this forum can help me out. My Vitamin D levels have been low for about 4 years now that I know of. I have alot of muscle and joint pain, muscle spasms etc. I have cervical spinal stenosis, 2 herniated discs in my neck, bone spurs and osteoarthritis. I am on the lowest dose beta blocker, (atenolol) for heart rate which I take in the morning. I also take low does Lexapro at night for anxiety and depression. I have done so much reading low vitamin D etc, before I have taken vitamin D given by my doctor, where you take 1 pill once a week for a few weeks. Anyways, levels were checked again little over a month ago and they were 23, which is still low. I joined a group on facebook because the group is all about Vitamin D Wellness, and I was so excited to learn more and get to feeling better. They only use a certain kind of Vitamin D3, K2 and Magnesium Glycinate. I ordered all of these and started taking the protocol. I started on 5,000 iu of VItamin D3, 90 mcg of K2 and 200 mg of Magenesium Gylcinate. The first week or two I felt like I had more energy...but 3rd and 4th weeks, I started to feel not so good, no energy and the last couple of days so much anxiety that I felt like I was going to flip out and need to go to the ER. I stopped taking everything and today is the 2nd day of taking nothing. Oh..after 2 weeks of taking the 5000 iu D3, I reduced it to 2000 iu D3...because I was getting these horrible hot flashes, I guess you could call it. That got some better..but then I was feeling very lightheaded. So, I am wondering if I can start taking vitamin D3 and k2 again but maybe try to start out with LESS than 2000 iu of D3 and maybe try transdermal Mag Spray at night? Not sure what to do and not sure why I was feeling soooo anxious and panicky? I have felt some better since quitting these 2 days ago...but want to make sure I get the benefits of these vitamins without feeling worse. Just thought I would feel better :( I have noticed that muscle pain has been better, RLS too... Thanks so much for any input someone may give :)

J

jb116

Hi knewberry

Very simply, to me it could very well be a case of revving up your metabolism without proper nutritional support. Although I didn't see anything about your diet listed. May be you can fill in the blanks there?

OP
K

knewberry72

I have been eating Paleo since March 2, 2015...Which I have added a little bit of complex carbs in every one in awhile...I lost 42 pounds since March and feel I eat pretty healthy.

answersfound

The Lexapro may be causing you to feel anxious and panicky.

OP
K

knewberry72

Lexapro has never caused me to feel that way...wouls it be interfering with the D3 or Mag?

Brian

What is your Vitamin A intake from food and/or supplement? Vitamin A needs to be balanced with vitamin D in a ratio of at least 5:1 to ensure hypercalcemia does not develop.

What form of vitamin K2 are you taking? K2 MK4 is often the most recommended because it is the most active form identical to the type made in the body from K1. 90mcg may not be enough to balance vitamin D supplementation. 1-5mg per day or more may be necessary for therapeutic effect.

I don't know if an imbalance in vitamin A, D or K is directly related to your recent negative symptoms, but it is known to cause various issues especially when vitamin A is low in relation to D.

OP
K

knewberry72

I havent been taking any Vitamin A because the group I have been following says not to take it. I have been using Jarrow K2-Mk-7. Is vitamin A retinol? I am new to all of this and trying to figure this out. Also I am not sure what foods vitamin A would be in...guess I should research that as well.

OP
K

knewberry72

I do eat spinach most days atleast once, I do eat sweet potatoes several times a week, romaine lettuce several times a week..but not sure if its enough vitamin A

Brian

knewberry72 said:
post 109590 I havent been taking any Vitamin A because the group I have been following says not to take it. I have been using Jarrow K2-Mk-7. Is vitamin A retinol? I am new to all of this and trying to figure this out. Also I am not sure what foods vitamin A would be in...guess I should research that as well.

Yes, retinol is pre-formed vitamin A. Beta-carotene from vegetables is pro-vitamin A and needs to be converted to the active form in the body, but often is not without enough B12 and thyroid hormone, so retinol from food or supplement is often advised.

Egg yolks, liver, dairy fat are good sources of retinol.

The only time I can think of that it would be advisable to take vitamin D without A is if you knew for sure you already had excess in your system. This is usually impossible, so I would at least try to get 10,000 IU retinol (not beta-carotene) from food and/or supplement to balance 2,000 IU vitamin D.

K2-Mk-7 may be OK, but most positive research has been done for MK4. A product with a combination of K1 and K2 such as Life Extension Super K is a safe bet. Or a serving of cooked leafy greens can be a good source of K1 and magnesium.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

knewberry72

How much of the Vitamin A would I need to take using 2000 iu of D3? When do you take this supplement? Is there a protocol to follow?

Brian

knewberry72 said:
post 109596 How much of the Vitamin A would I need to take using 2000 iu of D3? When do you take this supplement? Is there a protocol to follow?

10,000 IU vitamin A for 2,000 IU D3. That's a 5:1 ratio favoring vitamin A. This should be a safe amount for anybody, but just listen to your body and re-evaluate if something doesn't feel right.

Getting 10,000 IU from food isn't that hard if you eat a few ounces of liver per week plus egg yolks and dairy fat daily. But any reputable brand of vitamin A supplement in the form Retinyl Palmitate is effective too.

It's probably best to take A, D, and K at the same time so that they will be in the blood simultaneously.

Here's a threads on the subject:
Vitamin A blocks the hypercalcemia from vitamin D

Last edited by a moderator: