Cyproheptadine And Vitamin D Seem To Go Very Well Together

lampofred

I've been trying to make vitamin D work for several months because many of the issues I have (poor digestion, small appetite, being quick to fatigue, etc.) are things that Dr. Peat recommends vitamin D for, but I always ended up with mania/calcification symptoms after just a few days of supplementing, even at as low as 2,000 IU daily.

However, I recently decided to try cyproheptadine for the low appetite issue (and high 5ht in general), and I've noticed that it's allowing me to take much larger doses of vitamin D comfortably (I think I took 16,000-18,000 IU today). I think I am finally starting to be able to feel the benefits that vitamin D is supposed to have in terms of cognition, posture, bone/joint health, etc. without the manic, hypercalcemic side effects (which were present even when I took vit K).

I don't understand exactly what the cypro is doing, if it's just the fact that it lowers 5ht that's helping or if it's doing something more systemic, but the synergy between cypro and vit D seems very strong, just like the synergy between coffee and aspirin. It's like 1+1 becomes 3 instead of 2.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

man I wouldn't take that much vit. D, that's asking for trouble

Well, up to 20,000 IU a day is still within the realm of physiological dose, and Peat himself suggested that supplementing up to that amount is likely safe. Many people have done higher doses (50,000-100,000 IU a day) for months or even years at a time without toxicity symptoms. Most of the issues I've seen in studies with excess vitamin D come from either high intramuscular injections (around 600,000IU in a shot) or people taking millions of IU of Vitamin D.

Well, up to 20,000 IU a day is still within the realm of physiological dose, and Peat himself suggested that supplementing up to that amount is likely safe. Many people have done higher doses (50,000-100,000 IU a day) for months or even years at a time without toxicity symptoms. Most of the issues I've seen in studies with excess vitamin D come from either high intramuscular injections (around 600,000IU in a shot) or people taking millions of IU of Vitamin D.
there are lots of studies that show hypercalcemia from doses around 20,000 IU.
OBJECTIVE:
To describe a patient with multiple sclerosis (MS) who developed severe hypercalcemia, attributed to the additive effect of 5500 IU of cholecalciferol and 2020 mg of calcium daily.

RESULTS:
The patient's corrected serum calcium level was 15.2 mg/dL (reference range, 8.7-10.1 mg/dL; to convert to millimoles per liter, multiply by 0.25), and her 25-hydroxyvitamin D level was 103 ng/mL (to convert to nanomoles per liter, multiply by 2.496). The results of extensive laboratory tests to rule out hyperparathyroidism, malignant neoplasms, and other causes of hypercalcemia were unrevealing.

Vitamin D intoxication caused hypercalcemia: Case report | ECE2017
Case: 79-years-old female patient presented to emergency department with generalized pain, lack of appetite, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Serum calcium level was 13.8 mg/dl. In her medical history she used 12 ampules of vitamin D-3 in the last month. In her physical examination there was abdominal tenderness. Laboratory findings were as follows; 25-OH vitamin D-3: 455 μg/l (20–150), WBC: 19 570 10e3/μl (3.8–8.6), Urea: 60 mg/dl (10–50), Creatinine: 2 mg/dl (0.6–1.2), Ca: 13.8 mg/dl (8.5–10.8), phosphorus: 2.9 mg/dl (2.6–4.5), albumin: 3.7 mg/dl (3.5–5.5), amylase: 132 U/l (28–100), Lipase: 115 U/l (7–60), Parathormone: 28 pg/ml (19.8–74.9). Abdominal CT scan showed interstitial oedematous pancreatitis. In the follow up, patient was hydrated with isotonic saline infusion. To lower the calcium levels, intravenous furosemide infusion was used. Calculated QTc level when serum calcium is 9.1 mg/dl, was 443 msec. According to literature we could see osborn wave in the ECG but we did not.

this is from <1 min of googling. ive seen more. including even a case where someone had hypervitaminosis D and hypercalcemia just from drinking bone broth (of his own making) every day.

Jacob28

So how to know if I have good levels of vit. D? Or just take 2000 IU, say, max. 10000 IU but for a longer periods of time?

And what about calcium, is it better to take more or a bit less when taking high vit. D doses?

And it also depletes magnesium, isn't it?
I take about 2-4g of my glicynate(10% mg), 0.5g of mg carbonate, 1-1.5g of mg citrate, usually mixed with food, and some baking soda( citrate) too neutralise acidity.
I have frequent muscle and eye twitches, sometimes painful.
I eat about 6-7 potatoes( overcooked and I add a bit alpha amylase, it brokes down almost all starch) and 0.5-1 melon, so I think I get enough potassium.

raypeatclips

Peat says he takes 20k topically. I've seen him mention up to 10k orally but often mentions much lower than that, 2k for example.

I had overdose levels of vitamin D with normal calcium levels even with supplemental eggshell. I was taking 45mg of K2 though.

How much D were you taking?

I've been trying to make vitamin D work for several months because many of the issues I have (poor digestion, small appetite, being quick to fatigue, etc.) are things that Dr. Peat recommends vitamin D for, but I always ended up with mania/calcification symptoms after just a few days of supplementing, even at as low as 2,000 IU daily.

However, I recently decided to try cyproheptadine for the low appetite issue (and high 5ht in general), and I've noticed that it's allowing me to take much larger doses of vitamin D comfortably (I think I took 16,000-18,000 IU today). I think I am finally starting to be able to feel the benefits that vitamin D is supposed to have in terms of cognition, posture, bone/joint health, etc. without the manic, hypercalcemic side effects (which were present even when I took vit K).

I don't understand exactly what the cypro is doing, if it's just the fact that it lowers 5ht that's helping or if it's doing something more systemic, but the synergy between cypro and vit D seems very strong, just like the synergy between coffee and aspirin. It's like 1+1 becomes 3 instead of 2.
What mania symptoms did you get from vit D?

haidut

Forum Supporter

Cypro is a calcium channel blocker, which protects from calcium overload inside the cell. If you get hypercalcemia symptoms from even low doses of vitamin D then it is possible that either estrogen and/or PTH are high, but vitamin D should lower PTH, which leaves estrogen as a likely culprit. Since cypro also has estrogen receptor blocking effects, this may be another reason why it helps.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Vit D increases tryptophan hydroxylase in the brain which could drive up serotonin and cause issues if serotonin is already high. So using the cypro to block serotonin could also be a likely explanation to why you can now tolerate vit D.

raypeatclips

Cypro is a calcium channel blocker, which protects from calcium overload inside the cell. If you get hypercalcemia symptoms from even low doses of vitamin D then it is possible that either estrogen and/or PTH are high, but vitamin D should lower PTH, which leaves estrogen as a likely culprit. Since cypro also has estrogen receptor blocking effects, this may be another reason why it helps.

Does vitamin d not lower estrogen?

milk_lover

Th
Vit D increases tryptophan hydroxylase in the brain which could drive up serotonin and cause issues if serotonin is already high. So using the cypro to block serotonin could also be a likely explanation to why you can now tolerate vit D.
This is the main reason I don’t supplement vitamin D.

Mossy

Vit D increases tryptophan hydroxylase in the brain which could drive up serotonin and cause issues if serotonin is already high.
This is interesting. I wonder if this is a contributor to low serum D that many of us have. Where the body is purposely keeping D low to prevent this high serotonin issue.

Hans

Forum Supporter
This is interesting. I wonder if this is a contributor to low serum D that many of us have. Where the body is purposely keeping D low to prevent this high serotonin issue.
Interesting thought, but I don't think the body would do that. Vitamin D is pro-metabolic and would increase CO2 which would then keep serotonin in check.

Mossy

Interesting thought, but I don't think the body would do that. Vitamin D is pro-metabolic and would increase CO2 which would then keep serotonin in check.
Ok, good to know about the CO2 increase. It would seem an additional serotonin blocker would not be needed, because of this. Thank you.

Coderr

How do you know that it benefits you in cognition, posture, in a short time?