Low serotonin / and dopamine

tommyg130

I know serotonin isn’t considered the happy hormone per say. But surely there are some
Ppl who would benefit from raising it?

Not every single person can have too much on planet earth.

I thought dopamine and serotonin opppose each other, but I’ve actually realized they rise and fall together ? Right? But also antagonize each other at the same time

I had my genes tested and was FAST COMT. Which results in low catecholomine levels due to increased breakdown. A test confirmed this via urine as I had LOW dopamine,addrenaline norepinephrine. My genetics also showed multiple Mutations w serotonin leading to “likely lower brain serotonin activity”. I’m not blindly believing my genetics, however they proved to be right with many other things, confirmed w blood work. Symptoms , etc.

So I’m thinking I just have low dopamine and serotonin. I’ve used cypro before and felt AWFUL. Not just for a few days. And i never had a positive rebound. Maybe i just have low serotonin. And then I read this from @DaveFoster and I’ve never felt something resonate more w me. I also have very low estrogen levels (e2 estrone sulfate, and total estrogens) and achy joints.

I’m going to try Serotonin boosting supps bc I already feel awful so idc anymore lol.

Attachments

• 568F1290-8BED-43D5-8274-2F93A943195C.png
    568F1290-8BED-43D5-8274-2F93A943195C.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 68

I'm.No.One

Just chiming in with nothing but a random experience.

At first cypro helped me A LOT as I was in major burnout, like close to an adrenal crisis.

Naturally just stopped using as much as I recoverd.

Went to use it again & it makes me feel like dead rotting garbage the next day for lack of a better term.

I then, as of late, developed major histamine reactions.

So out of desperation I began taking Claritin, helps really well but I also notice I'm suddenly full of energy, don't feel as depressed, going about my day & not feeling overwhelmed.

At first I thought it was simply from lowering the histamine levels and I'm sure it's related to that as well.

Then because I was concerned about the serotonin boost from Claritin I decided yesterday to try a TINY amount of Benadryl.

It absolutely wrecked me, like 1/4th of a 25mg pill.

Didn't help my symptoms at all while making me feel like garbage on top of feeling racy/anxiety prone.

Benadryl lowers serotonin/adrenaline supposedly.

While my genes say I'm actually prone to low dopamine/normal serotonin I'm thinking over the last year I've tanked both using Cypro/Aspirin.

Especially when I compare how I feel on something that increases serotonin vrs decreasing it.

youngsinatra

You need adequate copper, zinc, iron, folate, B9, B12, iodine status and good protein intake for proper neurotransmitter levels.

Serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine should be in harmony.

If possible, I‘d check ceruloplasmin, plasma zinc, ferritin, folate, holo-TC (B12) on blood work.

OP
T

tommyg130

Just chiming in with nothing but a random experience.

At first cypro helped me A LOT as I was in major burnout, like close to an adrenal crisis.

Naturally just stopped using as much as I recoverd.

Went to use it again & it makes me feel like dead rotting garbage the next day for lack of a better term.

I then, as of late, developed major histamine reactions.

So out of desperation I began taking Claritin, helps really well but I also notice I'm suddenly full of energy, don't feel as depressed, going about my day & not feeling overwhelmed.

At first I thought it was simply from lowering the histamine levels and I'm sure it's related to that as well.

Then because I was concerned about the serotonin boost from Claritin I decided yesterday to try a TINY amount of Benadryl.

It absolutely wrecked me, like 1/4th of a 25mg pill.

Didn't help my symptoms at all while making me feel like garbage on top of feeling racy/anxiety prone.

Benadryl lowers serotonin/adrenaline supposedly.

While my genes say I'm actually prone to low dopamine/normal serotonin I'm thinking over the last year I've tanked both using Cypro/Aspirin.

Especially when I compare how I feel on something that increases serotonin vrs decreasing it.
Damn interesting. So you feel much better w supps raising serotonin.

Good to know when you had normal serotonin anyway. I had low predisposition , and I’ve used large amounts of aspirin, thyroid, caffeine , B3. And I never feel better. I think I just
Have low serotonin

OP
T

tommyg130

You need adequate copper, zinc, iron, folate, B9, B12, iodine status and good protein intake for proper neurotransmitter levels.

Serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine should be in harmony.

If possible, I‘d check ceruloplasmin, plasma zinc, ferritin, folate, holo-TC (B12) on blood work.
Will do thanks. My ferritin I dropped like an idiot w blood donations. Copper and zinc i have issues w and I think they’re skewed from mercury. I have an htma coming back soon that I’m going to to use in combo w blood work my genetics to try to paint a picture. My b12 and folate are in range but have some mutations , and could maybe benefit from a b complex

I'm.No.One

Damn interesting. So you feel much better w supps raising serotonin.

Good to know when you had normal serotonin anyway. I had low predisposition , and I’ve used large amounts of aspirin, thyroid, caffeine , B3. And I never feel better. I think I just
Have low serotonin
I think (many) people on this forum look at things in too much of a black & white construct.

Like, and it's not related to the topic here just an example, assuming everyone without extreme effort is estrogen dominant.

I've always had lower E & T levels, then yesterday when I fell down the rabbit hole of uploading my DNA to self decode & it says I have a predisposition to low E/T...

OP
T

tommyg130

I think (many) people on this forum look at things in too much of a black & white construct.

Like, and it's not related to the topic here just an example, assuming everyone without extreme effort is estrogen dominant.

I've always had lower E & T levels, then yesterday when I fell down the rabbit hole of uploading my DNA to self decode & it says I have a predisposition to low E/T...
I agree. It’s never a 1 size fits all approach when trying to heal yourself. Too much nuance and context. Almost everything my genetics says ended up being true for me which is why I’m putting even more value in it of late

youngsinatra

Will do thanks. My ferritin I dropped like an idiot w blood donations. Copper and zinc i have issues w and I think they’re skewed from mercury. I have an htma coming back soon that I’m going to to use in combo w blood work my genetics to try to paint a picture. My b12 and folate are in range but have some mutations , and could maybe benefit from a b complex
Yeah. I was overdoing the blood donations too. Did 6 donations in the last year.

Iron deficiency is a real problem, too. I was trying relatively low doses of ferrous bisglycinate lately and it feels like it had a beneficial effect on neurotransmitter levels. Finally feeling stimulation from things again.

I have everything else in line. (copper, zinc, iodine, B9, B12)

OP
T

tommyg130

Yeah. I was overdoing the blood donations too. Did 6 donations in the last year.

Iron deficiency is a real problem, too. I was trying relatively low doses of ferrous bisglycinate lately and it feels like it had a beneficial effect on neurotransmitter levels. Finally feeling stimulation from things again.

I have everything else in line. (copper, zinc, iodine, B9, B12)
You supplement those or no? The other minerals and b9 and 12. When I took iron my hair was burning lol, which tells me I took too much or also have a zinc deficiency That iron Was worsening. I need iron , but maybe zinc more . Not sure

How low did you’re ferritin get?

youngsinatra

You supplement those or no? The other minerals and b9 and 12. When I took iron my hair was burning lol, which tells me I took too much or also have a zinc deficiency That iron Was worsening. I need iron , but maybe zinc more . Not sure

How low did you’re ferritin get?
I think the latest ferritin was 30.

I supplement with MitoSynergy copper, methylfolate and methylcobalamin. I drink pure cranberry juice for iodine. My plasma zinc is optimal with diet alone.

aniciete

I supplement with MitoSynergy copper, methylfolate and methylcobalamin. I drink pure cranberry juice for iodine. My plasma zinc is optimal with diet alone.
What do you eat for adequate folate? Greens? I found tropical fruits have an ok amount too.

OP
T

tommyg130

Thank you! Do you think zinc rbc is accurate or better then plasma or the same? I had zinc rbc done. Here it is. Idk what to make of that. It’s low middle. Not sure if that’s decent or not. I’m trying to make an inference about copper status from that, but being it’s not drastically
High or low I can’t idt

Attachments

• 5128FAF0-3FFC-48B4-B2B4-5CAD4DAAB986.png
    5128FAF0-3FFC-48B4-B2B4-5CAD4DAAB986.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 12

youngsinatra

Thank you! Do you think zinc rbc is accurate or better then plasma or the same? I had zinc rbc done. Here it is. Idk what to make of that. It’s low middle. Not sure if that’s decent or not. I’m trying to make an inference about copper status from that, but being it’s not drastically
High or low I can’t idt
Can‘t tell for sure. I have no experience with RBC testing.

Do you eat red meat regularly/daily? That would give you plenty of zinc, iron and B12.

Phosphor

I'm "only" low dopamine, but I can fix it with L-tyrosine. It does get expensive (lots of tyrosine, because my legs start to jerk at night w/o it) -- and I'd guess you could fiddle with both tyrosine and tryptophan and find a mix that works for you.
I did find that, after having my gut microbiome destroyed by cipro, (and I have NOT found a way to replenish whatever class of bacteria it destroyed) -- that I simply cannot eat lectins because apparently I do not digest them, and they are the biggest culprit in the lack of dopamine / leg jerking. So you may find that there are some dietary things you can do, but a lectin-free diet is quite difficult. Better than the consequences of not doing it, which include not only the leg jerking (no sleep) but also quite pointed "urinary incontinence issues" with merely the thought of water. which causes a literal spurt. No lectins, no urinary problems. Fascinating because of the synergies -- dopamine, lectins, microbiome, symptoms.

youngsinatra

Have seen a previous post from you about iron.

Ceruloplasmin (Cp) status looked good there.
If Cp is good, and you have low ferritin and iron deficiency symptoms (which can also occur without anemia) you could benefit from more iron.

OP
T

tommyg130

I'm "only" low dopamine, but I can fix it with L-tyrosine. It does get expensive (lots of tyrosine, because my legs start to jerk at night w/o it) -- and I'd guess you could fiddle with both tyrosine and tryptophan and find a mix that works for you.
I did find that, after having my gut microbiome destroyed by cipro, (and I have NOT found a way to replenish whatever class of bacteria it destroyed) -- that I simply cannot eat lectins because apparently I do not digest them, and they are the biggest culprit in the lack of dopamine / leg jerking. So you may find that there are some dietary things you can do, but a lectin-free diet is quite difficult. Better than the consequences of not doing it, which include not only the leg jerking (no sleep) but also quite pointed "urinary incontinence issues" with merely the thought of water. which causes a literal spurt. No lectins, no urinary problems. Fascinating because of the synergies -- dopamine, lectins, microbiome, symptoms.
Got it thank you , And ya Cipro was bad for me. Do you have anything to confirm low dopamine aside from symptoms? Not saying you aren’t right. I’m just curious . Labs genes ?

OP
T

tommyg130

Have seen a previous post from you about iron.

Ceruloplasmin (Cp) status looked good there.
If Cp is good, and you have low ferritin and iron deficiency symptoms (which can also occur without anemia) you could benefit from more iron.
Noted thank you

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals