Low oxygen saturation in my eight year old son

Juliampersand

I wanted to share about my eight year old son as he is my main motivating factor for learning as many principles as I can from Dr. Peat. He was raised Paleo-ish with seed oils and all the vaccinations until I discovered Peat when he was almost six. He was always a bit overweight but the obesity came at about five and continues to this day. My husband is of the carnivore persuasion and points to my son’s continued obesity as proof that Peat’s ideas don’t work. I believe it is because I’m stumbling my way as I learn how to apply Peat’s principles and his body is still healing from how I used to feed him.

Yesterday, and about eight months ago, he came down with a one day cold/flu where he was weak and short of breath. I used an oximeter this time and his oxygen saturation went as low as 81 percent. He’s feeling better today with 91 percent oxygen. Any advice on how I can prevent this from happening again? I’m guessing it has something to do with endotoxins from what I’ve perused on this forum.

youngsinatra

I’d get to the doctor and check some labs regarding anemia. (hemoglobin, B12, folate, ferritin, transferrin saturation, ceruloplasmin, serum copper)

Does he have anemia type symptoms even when he is not ill?

OP
J

Juliampersand

Thank you, @youngsinatra ! I’ve been afraid of getting his labs done because I don’t want to traumatize him with the poke but it may be lifesaving.
No symptoms of anemia normally.

youngsinatra

Thank you, @youngsinatra ! I’ve been afraid of getting his labs done because I don’t want to traumatize him with the poke but it may be lifesaving.
No symptoms of anemia normally.
Yeah, as a kid I was scared to death from needles.

If he has no symptoms of anemia, then my suspicion might be false and no blood work is needed.

Momma

I wanted to share about my eight year old son as he is my main motivating factor for learning as many principles as I can from Dr. Peat. He was raised Paleo-ish with seed oils and all the vaccinations until I discovered Peat when he was almost six. He was always a bit overweight but the obesity came at about five and continues to this day. My husband is of the carnivore persuasion and points to my son’s continued obesity as proof that Peat’s ideas don’t work. I believe it is because I’m stumbling my way as I learn how to apply Peat’s principles and his body is still healing from how I used to feed him.

Yesterday, and about eight months ago, he came down with a one day cold/flu where he was weak and short of breath. I used an oximeter this time and his oxygen saturation went as low as 81 percent. He’s feeling better today with 91 percent oxygen. Any advice on how I can prevent this from happening again? I’m guessing it has something to do with endotoxins from what I’ve perused on this forum.
Gonna get hate for this, but here ya go…

Throw the pulse ox away. Get him outside in the sun; away from devices (xbox, phone, desktop, tablet).
Let him discover something he loves. Something that is his; and let him run with it.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Broda Barnes had mentioned in his writings that kids can be hypothyroid too and benefit from some thyroid supplementation.
I'd focus on keeping him well fed and full of sunshine and fun while watching for hypothyroid symptoms.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
With oximeters you need to have him hold very still and wait about 30 seconds to get a good reading. Often the first number that comes up isn’t accurate. If the 81% number is accurate I’d be very concerned. That is basically getting into emergency medical attention territory IMO. Bad things can happen quickly with sats that low. Are his nail beds or mucous membranes of his mouth blue or gray when you are getting these low readings?

OP
J

Juliampersand

Thank you all for your comments! I’m sorry I missed some of them, I didn’t get notified of them. @Blossom, he did not look bluish, but now I know to look in both places you mentioned if it happens again, so thank you!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you all for your comments! I’m sorry I missed some of them, I didn’t get notified of them. @Blossom, he did not look bluish, but now I know to look in both places you mentioned if it happens again, so thank you!
You’re welcome.

yerrag

i have been having similar issues lately. I have an O2ring which I wear overnight and it gives me a graph os spO2 minute by minute, and I can see spO2 drop to as low as 81 once in a while, and someimes going as low as 73. They are sporadic and don't stay that low. Since I do not snore and I don't have sleep apnea, I don't see these drops as due to restricted airways. So I am quite sure that these drops are due to the respiratory burst of phagocytosis, wherein neutrophils and macrophages create ROS to kill microbes or to vainly attempt to eliminate toxins such as heavy metals. The respiratory burst consumes a large amount of oxygen, so much that it causes sharp drops in spO2.

When my lungs are working well and can rapidly take in oxygen from atmospheric air, I do not experience shortness of breath when spO2 drops occur due to phagocytosis. This is when I can run sprints and not get exhausted, or when I can carry stressful weight loads, and not feel out of breath. This is also when I could swim in cold waters, and I feel fine as my body can produce heat to keep myself warming because I am getting adequate oxygen from normal breathing.

After I injured my lungs taking an item wrongly which caused my mucus lining much harm and needing time to recover, I find myself needing to supplement with oxygen at night when the spO2 drops occur during phagocytosis. I also find it difficult to walk even slowly for a short distance as I rapidly run out of breath. Needless to say, my temperature can't stay up when I stay I long time in a pool that is cold. I would become pale and it;s because my blood oxygen would get so low as the demand for oxygen is high, and my lungs cannot keep up supplying oxygen.

I'm working on my recovery both in my lungs as well as in eliminating what causes my immune system to keep employing phagocytosis, which uses a lot of oxygen. So, I have great confidence these issues will be resolved and I will be back to normal and even better than normal.

I don't know if my experience is any guide for you to work with in addressing your child's issues, but I hope you find them helpful.

All the best.

Jonk

I would echo the sentiments above about getting adequate sunlight and finding a hobby. Also in my experience when dealing with gut issues, it's almost like I instinctively avoid the sun, but when my intestine is fine I instinctually want to go outside.. So that's one thing I would try, seeing if he is reacting to something in the diet.

yerrag

i have been having similar issues lately. I have an O2ring which I wear overnight and it gives me a graph os spO2 minute by minute, and I can see spO2 drop to as low as 81 once in a while, and someimes going as low as 73. They are sporadic and don't stay that low. Since I do not snore and I don't have sleep apnea, I don't see these drops as due to restricted airways. So I am quite sure that these drops are due to the respiratory burst of phagocytosis, wherein neutrophils and macrophages create ROS to kill microbes or to vainly attempt to eliminate toxins such as heavy metals. The respiratory burst consumes a large amount of oxygen, so much that it causes sharp drops in spO2.

When my lungs are working well and can rapidly take in oxygen from atmospheric air, I do not experience shortness of breath when spO2 drops occur due to phagocytosis. This is when I can run sprints and not get exhausted, or when I can carry stressful weight loads, and not feel out of breath. This is also when I could swim in cold waters, and I feel fine as my body can produce heat to keep myself warming because I am getting adequate oxygen from normal breathing.

After I injured my lungs taking an item wrongly which caused my mucus lining much harm and needing time to recover, I find myself needing to supplement with oxygen at night when the spO2 drops occur during phagocytosis. I also find it difficult to walk even slowly for a short distance as I rapidly run out of breath. Needless to say, my temperature can't stay up when I stay I long time in a pool that is cold. I would become pale and it;s because my blood oxygen would get so low as the demand for oxygen is high, and my lungs cannot keep up supplying oxygen.

I'm working on my recovery both in my lungs as well as in eliminating what causes my immune system to keep employing phagocytosis, which uses a lot of oxygen. So, I have great confidence these issues will be resolved and I will be back to normal and even better than normal.

I don't know if my experience is any guide for you to work with in addressing your child's issues, but I hope you find them helpful.

All the best.
If the spO2 is often in the 91 area and not in the 97/98 area, there is an issue with the lungs' ability to take in oxygen.

That needs to be addressed. Since my case isn't microbial, I have began to use hypertonic saline (1.5%) nebulization. When there is a microbial cause, as evidenced by yellowish/greenish phlegm, and when hypertonic saline doesn't work as well, some have used 0.1% H2O2 or 0.1% methylene blue nebulization. Other approaches are available where chlorine dioxide is used.

The shortness of breath occurs when one stresses oneself beyond what the body is capable of supplying in terms of oxygen. Refraining from oxygen-demanding activities is helpful, but that would be difficult for an active child.

Being short of breath even without much physical activity can still happen when the lungs are impaired, and when the body needs to use phagocytosis to deal with pathogens and toxins internally, which requires a high consumption of oxygen.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals