Saying hello and also need help.

imrepeatingeveryday

Hello everyone,

I’m a new registered user. I’ve been a guest to this forum for a while now.

It would be no exaggeration on my part to suggest that we are surrounded by the ocean of lies and deceptions. By not questioning and conveniently accepting it, it leads to life full of pain, suffering and frustration. And unless we are ready to use our God given abilities to think for ourselves and not being intimidated by knowledge our problems wouldn’t be solved. I’ve been blessed to come across wonderful Ray Peat and this wonderful forum. Most of us are skilled and knowledgeable in so many different fields, but one. One of the most basic and the most fundamental fields of knowledge is proper nourishment. Without this knowledge our well being is not possible. Humans in the past relied on tradition to keep ourselves in good health. Our true doctors always were our mothers and women in general, the keepers of fire and tradition. Today women in general are persuaded to pursue different carriers, to postpone child bearing, to switch to baby formulas, to give birth using c section, to preserve figures by using surrogate motherhood, etc.,

My son is now 27 years old. For the past 7 years was hospitalized 10 times. Diagnosis ranges from by-polar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, mood disorder to obsessive thinking. It took me a while to understand, that without knowing the cause of a problem – solution to this problem cannot be found!

People dressed in white coats, presumably representing knowledge, concern, care and authority are actually nothing more than very ignorant or evil! We’ve been chasing our tail by following doctor’s advice to try different meds to no avail naturally! I’m determent to find what causes my son to suffer recurring episodes. My son’s episodes always coincide with seasonal changes and with highest severity during spring- summer change! Insomnia is always preceding, emotional distress, as well during an episode; my son’s forehead becomes filled with pimples. At all other times forehead is absolutely clear and nice! A picture taken of my son’s face during an episode shows forehead is affected with pimples. When my son is well, he is fully cooperates and enjoys Dr. Peat’s food regiment. Now we are at change of season and as usual my son is experiencing an episode. In the words of Albert Einstein, the theory of relativity must be right because it is “simple and beautiful”! We all need answers and I believe it will be simple and beautiful as Nature itself! Changes in the amount of day light are almost uneventful to most of us, but some of us more sensitive or not able to adjust rapidly and smoothly, suffer some type of consequence!? I’m aware of SAD. Also, I read, that in Italy manic patients were forced to spent up to 14 hours a day in the dark room in the beginning of the experiment (with the daily decreases of time spent in darkness) resulted in much faster return to normalcy compare to controls(both groups received meds as well). My son is not on any meds for over a year now and refuses to be medicated when in the hospital and what appears to help to calm and return to normal is the fact that he is being confined to a hospital and spends anywhere from a week to a month in the hospital and then gets out from the hospital (no meds during hospital stay). My son is also practicing transcendental meditation daily. My son was delivered by c section, only later I came across information, that obstetricians received discounts in insurance premiums due to reductions of birth defects claims cased by vaginal deliveries!

I’ve read a lot on this forum concerning my son’s condition. If someone has an idea or advice, I will appreciate it!

tara

:welcome Welcome imrepeatingeveryday :welcome

My guess is the doctors are more ignorant than evil (and some have a habit of arrogance that doesn't allow them to admit ignorance easily). The medical system is sometimes more about suppressing symptoms than it is about recovery and healing, and I think this may be even more the case in the 'mental health' sector.

I hope you find some ideas here that can help. There is a chance that measures to improve overall metabolism will also improve brain function and resilience. Which measures are most helpful seems to vary from person to person. Sometimes getting blood sugar more stable can help.

Do you want to spell out what you/he have been trying so far, and what effects you have seen? That would give posters here more clues to base suggestions on.

What (and how much) is your son eating (and drinking)? If you want to, you can log a typical day in cronometer.com to see whether he is getting standard recommended intakes of many nutrients. If you do this, be aware that it tends to recommend too low a calorie intake, possibly too much iron for most adults, and I guess you know that Peat recommends getting PUFA as low as possible. He also recommends getting more calcium than phosphorus, and at least 80 g protein/day - some people do better on more.

Have you/he assessed thyroid hormones via blood tests? Or measured temperature and pulse over a period to get an idea of metabolism? If you have numbers you can post them if you want. What the medical profession considers 'normal' may not be optimal.

Are you in spring now, or autumn? It is common to get run down during winter from lack of sunlight - sometimes the effects of this show in spring. If yo are going into winter, you might want to see if you can set up a way to get some extra light exposure. Some people find spending time under strong (eg 250Watt) incandescents (but not fluorescents) regularly can help. Getting out into real sunlight is good when it's there.

Personally, I don't put a lot of store by the labels assigned by the mental health system. I think they mostly amount to something like: "This person is stressed out and having trouble functioning the way we think they should."
It is good that he is able to recover in hospital without drugs. If he can identify what is different in hospital that he finds helpful, maybe that is useful.

There are many things that could be contributing to his distress.

My impression (not particularly Peat's), is that sometimes 'mood disorder' means they have feelings, and no-one has so far been able to effectively listen to them so they can get those feeling out. Anything that helps to get us laughing and crying etc can help relieve emotional tension, if that is a component of our distress. Also, getting out and doing things we find interesting, enjoyable, rewarding can help keep our minds from staying stuck in internal tangles.

Good luck.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Welcome imrepeatingeveryday :welcome2.
I must say your son is the first person (besides myself) that I've heard of having seasonal mood challenges in the spring! This past spring was the first one that I can remember that I didn't get down. Mine started during my teens and I would feel not up to the challenge of the sunlight coming back. I know it sounds odd but I felt it was a struggle to summons the energy to come out of hibernation in a sense. For me eating well is #1 but I've also found pregnenolone quite restorative. I did take meds for many years though and I'm mid 40's in age. Most younger people don't seem to notice much from pregnenolone but if your son has a history of psychiatric drug treatment it could help restore his neurosteroid balance. There are some threads here on the forum about pregnenolone for 'mental health issues'. I will try to find them for you to review.
I've taken medicines to lower serotonin as well that were quite beneficial. I don't think the supplements or medicines are able to work effectively with out proper nutrition though.

natedawggh

Yep! Doctors are usually just not well informed, or inept, and they were probably giving your son Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) which increase serotonin greatly in the body and brain. Doctors think this is good, but serotonin is a hormone of stress, hibernation and water retention. It increases estrogen and depresses metabolism. It sounds like your son has instinctively picked up on this from own his experience. I can attest to those medications making life worse rather than better.

There are a lot of things he can do to increase his metabolism, which will increase his mental energy and in turn increase good hormones, eating a Peat centric diet that includes plenty of fresh fruit, potatoes, milk and cheese, sunshine and mentally enriching activities.

Niacinamide would probably help a great deal, as it is shown to reduce serotonin levels and increase energy.

Cascara Sagrada is also an herbal supplement that will help reduce stress (but it is also a laxitive, so gradually increase the dosage from a small amount to begin with).

Vitamin E that is natural and not from Soy (and without tocotrenols) is very good.

Coffee, Aspirin, Sugar, Chocolate, and vitamin rich foods will help, and he should absolutely avoid all sources of excess Iron and bad fats which include fatty fish, corn oil, vegetable oils, seeds, nuts, nut oils, avocado. The addition of stable oils such as coconut and butter will help as well since they stabilize energy production and increase helpful hormones.