Better Metabolism- Higher Heart Rate And. Lower Oxygen Saturation (spO2)?

Ficini

I had a long flight yesterday, so I played with the oximeter. As I understood, the cabin altitude must be maintained at 2400 meters or fewer. It was a wonderful opportunity to experiment with high altitude before deciding to move there.

Above, my spO2 is 95-96% when I’m at sea level. After we got to the maximum altitude (11700 meters), my spO2 was 91-92. My tinnitus amplified, but I felt very good, like a pressure went off me. All the time I notice when the airplane descends. It’s like an enormous pressure building in my ears, which then transforms to knifes in my ear.

I heard about radiation from the engine and for sure, flying is not safe, but I felt good at altitude and it corelates with what I feel when I climb high mountains (1900-2200). Up there it feels nice.

so

sea level: 95-96 Ox, 63-67 puls
probably 2400 meter cabin pressurization: 91-92 Ox, 69-71 puls

I didn’t measure my temperature on the plain. I thought I would look suspicious in all this COVID madness. LOL

Ficini

I just moved to Mexico City (altitude 2250 m)
My SpO2 got to 90 (which I expected).
But I am impressed how high my pulse rate went. From my usual 70 to 85.

Attachments

• mexicocity-spo2.jpg
    mexicocity-spo2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 14
OP
yerrag

yerrag

I just moved to Mexico City (altitude 2250 m)
My SpO2 got to 90 (which I expected).
But I am impressed how high my pulse rate went. From my usual 70 to 85.
Great values. What is your breathing rate after you've adjusted to the higher altitude?

Other markers I would measure would be urine pH to determine my acid-base balance, and perfusion index. With good acid-base balance (urine at optimal range of 6.5-6.8 pH throughout the day likely means good sugar metabolism with low lactate/keto acids and high CO2 in blood and ecf, as well as absence of low-level infection/inflammation), you'll easily improve tissue oxygenation and this leads easily to higher and more efficient sugar metabolism. Maybe you'll maintain the same breathing rate but experience higher metabolism as seen in higher heart rate.

But to be sure that the higher heart rate is due to increased metabolism and not due to inefficient heart pumping, I have this idea of using perfusion index. I just got an oximeter that measures perfusion index as well, from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083JT4S8V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It isn't expensive, at about the price of a regular oximeter. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this feature in a way that I could use it as a reliable marker, but the available information on perfusion index isn't very useful. Perhaps it's because no one wants to be liable for promoting misuse. Not surprising, as even with oxygen saturation alone, we don't get much information of how to use this marker properly. And in a typical hospital, doctors and nurses like to see the spO2 showing 99, which isn't a good thing as it means there's low tissue oxygenation.

The perfusion index (PI) gives out a value ranging from 0-20%, from dead to having a very strong pulse. I don't know if I should take having a strong pulse to mean that the heart pumps blood very efficiently, like that of a car engine with cylinders that don't lose power thru compression leaks with every stroke it makes But in the absence of information, I am going to assume a high PI means a very efficient heart. In terms of inotropy, a heart with higher inotropic quality would give a stronger pulse because it's able to generate more force with each stroke. In terms of lusitropy, a heart with highere lusitropic quality would be able to pump at a higher rate. A very healthy heart in a healthy body would have a high heart rate and a strong heart rate.

So, I'd be interested to see if I could use my PI-enabled oximeter to improve the reliability of measuring my metabolic health. Would high heart rate and a high PI correlate to metabolic health? Body temperature is still important, but I've found that meeting a body temperature of 37C is not enough, and adding heart rate as a marker isn't enough, because sick people can have high heart rates.

Attakai

Yeah I've noticed my PI reflects how I'm feeling much more than my heart rate.
Higher PI = warmer fingers and better circulation. If I press on the pink tips of my finger it will go from white back to pink extremely fast if my PI is good. If it is low the pink will return much slower.
Low pulse + high PI > high pulse low PI.
My sp02 has never dipped below 98% and is almost always 99%.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I'm finally getting somewhere with making sense of using the use of easily measured markers, which can be measured at home, to make sense of keeping tabs with my blood pressure as it relates to my suspected case of hypovolemia, or low blood volume. As Ray Peat has said, blood pressure increases due to hypovolemia, and not due to hypervolemia, which contradicts conventional medical wisdom.

I got hold of this study, and it is very interesting in that it studies the effect of hypovolemia and its effects on blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen saturation, and the perfusion index. With the use of a blood pressure monitor and an oximeter that also takes perfusion index readings, I think I'll be able to monitor my blood volume state, and figure out if I'm making progress in correcting a low blood volume condition.

But before I proceed, I have to describe to you my situation and how I've come about to relate my high blood pressure condition to low blood volume. I've had steadily increasing blood pressure since 2002, where I last had a normal blood pressure of 120/80. It's been 18 years of increasing blood pressure. My last blood pressure reading today is 225/151. I've done almost everything short of taking pharma drugs to lower it, and I don't suffer the usual travails associated with hypertension such as headaches. In fact, no head aches at all, seemingly perfect gut health, excellent blood sugar regulation where I'd have blood sugar level consistently at 84 in between meals. I have no signs of hypothyroid, with temperatures at 37C throughout the day, with wakeup temps at 36.5C. I also pass the Achilles tendon reflex test, and with my ECG QTc values below 440 msec, it seals my case that my thyroid is fine. I've not had flu nor fever for the past 20 years, and for the past 3 years, I've not had allergic rhinitis, which was my only allergy. I've been going out regularly doing these COVID times, and trust that my immune system is doing well, and only wear masks because it's required and don't want to make it a big deal for the people I come in contact with.

I've come to see my high blood pressure condition to be the result of hypovolemia. A CBC blood test would show that I have above range RBC, HBc, and HCt, and this points to hypovolemia. And so this is where I would begin to associate my high blood pressure to hypovolemia. So, without making this post longer that it already is, I wanted to monitor my hypovolemic condition with surrogate markers so that I could see that I'm on the right direction towards lowering my blood pressure.

This is the study I looked at : Tissue Oxygen Saturation and Finger Perfusion Index in... : Critical Care Medicine and I'm attaching the pdf file of the study.

What I have gleaned from the study is this, that the more hypovolemic one is:

- the higher the blood pressure (as Ray Peat had stated)
- the higher the heart rate (so this would somehow temper the idea that the higher the heart rate, the better it is - it's still important to see the context)
- the lower the SpO2 (which would also balance the idea that the lower the oxygen saturation (within say the range of 95-100), the better)
- the lower the perfusion index

I'm glad oximeter products with the Perfusion Index included are starting to come out with no significant price increases. The one I showed earlier seems to work well. I'm now using all these markers comfortably in the comfort of my home, and this will save me time and money, and there's less guesswork for me in terms of monitoring the progress of my healing with low blood volume and hypertension.

Hope to get your comments. If you can get your own affordable oximeter, we can compare notes as well.

Attachments

• Hypovolemia and Markers To Use.pdf
    791.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
P

Peatness

@yerrag

I had this being reported on the BBC news this morning and I found this paper and wondered what you made of it. Seems odd considering that all ethnic groups have pale palms and finger nails

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@yerrag

I had this being reported on the BBC news this morning and I found this paper and wondered what you made of it. Seems odd considering that all ethnic groups have pale palms and finger nails

You're right. It's odd since these units aren't taking readings from the wrist and are reading from the inside palm or finger.

But the findings also only apply to spO2 readings below 80%, I wonder if it makes much of a difference since accuracy is superfluous at those levels. All are in an emergency situaton and need treatment or rescue. And the oximeters can still monitor progress in the directional movement of spO2, and precision is still important - when the reading is off it still is consistently off so that improvement or deterioration in oxsat can still be ascertained.

P

Peatness

You're right. It's odd since these units aren't taking readings from the wrist and are reading from the inside palm or finger.

But the findings also only apply to spO2 readings below 80%, I wonder if it makes much of a difference since accuracy is superfluous at those levels. All are in an emergency situaton and need treatment or rescue. And the oximeters can still monitor progress in the directional movement of spO2, and precision is still important - when the reading is off it still is consistently off so that improvement or deterioration in oxsat can still be ascertained.
I looked this study up because the BBC ran it as a news item yesterday morning. This prompted me to ask why? Why now? I will post if I find answers

P

Peatness

I emailed Dr Peat about the study I posted above. He said, 'they might have used the ear lobe instead of the finger.' This makes me think that if using the finger there ought not to be concerns.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I emailed Dr Peat about the study I posted above. He said, 'they might have used the ear lobe instead of the finger.' This makes me think that if using the finger there ought not to be concerns.
I can't help but be amused that studies leave out important details and I wonder if these people are really that stupid or intentionally want to mislead.

So many studies are of such quality that I can't help but feel each time I read one whether it's a good use of my time.

Someone would post a study with conclusions that I don't agree with, and I have to comb through the study to prove to him that is a study with many errors. I basically become his reader. I don't benefit. He does.

And the pharma serial liars and deceiver keep churning out such studies.

P

Peatness

I can't help but be amused that studies leave out important details and I wonder if these people are really that stupid or intentionally want to mislead.

So many studies are of such quality that I can't help but feel each time I read one whether it's a good use of my time.

Someone would post a study with conclusions that I don't agree with, and I have to comb through the study to prove to him that is a study with many errors. I basically become his reader. I don't benefit. He does.

And the pharma serial liars and deceiver keep churning out such studies.
I think in the age of covid this kind of story, especially coming from the BBC, should be viewed in the context of ongoing propaganda including encouraging minority groups to seek medical attention i.e get jabbed. I see no other reason for running this story at the time, in this way.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think in the age of covid this kind of story, especially coming from the BBC, should be viewed in the context of ongoing propaganda including encouraging minority groups to seek medical attention i.e get jabbed. I see no other reason for running this story at the time, in this way.
Yeah, it's racist to use white man's oximeter for colored people. This is an injustice lol.

P

Peatness

Yeah, it's racist to use white man's oximeter for colored people. This is an injustice lol.
I don’t think it’s that. They just want that group in fear and to come forward to be euthanized jabbed

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I don’t think it’s that. They just want that group in fear and to come forward to be euthanized jabbed
I'm having difficulty figuring how the study conclusions could support efforts to instill fear in the colored group.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Over the past week, I couldn't believe what I was reading from my oximeter. Not in the heart rate, nor with the spO2.

Where I had resigned myself to seeing my perfusion index range from 5 to 8, I began to are go past 10 to 12 one day, and the next dew days I would check to see if it would stay that way.

And sure it did, And more. It went to 16.5. Followed by 14. Thinking it won't be any higher, today it went to what I considered max. To 20. Then past it. To 22.4

This is very exciting to see. I must be doing something right lately. Will have to report in the next weeks what this portends.

Mary Lyn

Will have to report in the next weeks what this portends.
Interest to hear how it has gone as I am trying to reduce my HPB between 127 - 178 systolic) and have just ordered an oximeter which I will have to return to get perfusion.