Loss of smell and taste- Covid19

OP
Cooper

Cooper

Any news guys? Thanks for the responses.

My smell and taste still seems stable. I wonder when it will recover fully. Sadly, i think it also caused me a huge loss of libido... Because i can't smell my partner... Sex feels weird without the sense of smell..

Anyone also experienced this? When did your smell improve fully?

OP
Cooper

Cooper

Anyone else?

Im approaching the 8th month mark right now.

Although my smell is recovering slowly, it is still reduced. It is not strong as before.

I also have slight parosmia going on still. I smell my armpits and the smell is different, chemical- onion like.

Will my nose ever be normal again in the future?
I hope olfactory nerves can recover fully... What can i do else to recover?

jay123

Anyone else?

Im approaching the 8th month mark right now.

Although my smell is recovering slowly, it is still reduced. It is not strong as before.

I also have slight parosmia going on still. I smell my armpits and the smell is different, chemical- onion like.

Will my nose ever be normal again in the future?
I hope olfactory nerves can recover fully... What can i do else to recover?
Hi Cooper. I lost mine on Dec. 19th. Still the same. I can sense sweet or salty, can smell smoke from a fire, but virtually nothing else. It is frustrating as I tell my wife I just could eat bread and butter becuase of lack of taste. I have tried exercising my smells with Aromatherapy. If I basically put it up my nose I can smell faintly at times. I have tried magnesium, zinc, doing Vitamin A in the nose right now, and have tried numerous other methods without any improvement.

RealNeat

Hi Cooper. I lost mine on Dec. 19th. Still the same. I can sense sweet or salty, can smell smoke from a fire, but virtually nothing else. It is frustrating as I tell my wife I just could eat bread and butter becuase of lack of taste. I have tried exercising my smells with Aromatherapy. If I basically put it up my nose I can smell faintly at times. I have tried magnesium, zinc, doing Vitamin A in the nose right now, and have tried numerous other methods without any improvement.
Cooking might do the trick, whenever I cooked meals I smelled the fragrant steam coming off of the food, repeatedly. The steam seems to carry the scent, then eating hot food would also make me taste it more, I think this is why the burnt orange works. I tried to cook fragrant meals every day and smell them. Dr. Peat quoted Turkish research where fresh ground coffee reinstates the ability to smell and taste.

jay123

Cooking might do the trick, whenever I cooked meals I smelled the fragrant steam coming off of the food, repeatedly. The steam seems to carry the scent, then eating hot food would also make me taste it more, I think this is why the burnt orange works. I tried to cook fragrant meals every day and smell them. Dr. Peat quoted Turkish research where fresh ground coffee reinstates the ability to smell and taste.
I home cook almost everything. My wife and I cook all the time. Lots of herbs and spices. My family always says how good the kitchen smells and I do not smell it. I will stand over the steam and every once in a while get a smell but it is very faint. I would love to smell coffee again and I still drink it every morning. You can feel the bitterness but nothing else.

OP
Cooper

Cooper

What have you tried so far?
Smell training with essential oils
Zinc
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Im on Human Growth Hormone (which heals nerves and builds new cells also)
Niacin
Many other supplements and vitamins

Im a painter and i remember the smell of oil in my room when i enter. Now i hardly smell the oil in my room. But my taste seems to be back like %90. I can smell some other smells as strong as before (?) i suppose. For example, i can't smell my own poop at all! Some other people also reported this.

But other than that i still have reduced sense of smell.

And the hardest thing for me is the ''uncertainty'' Like will i ever regain my function 100% back to normal? Can i smell like a normal person again? The uncertainty of the situation is so hard for me to cope.

And how will i know that i recovered 100% while i am not sure about what was the 100% anymore.
Like your mind gets used to your reducing sense of smell and you start to forget how strong was your senses before... Adapts itself to the new situation.

I walk down a street with trees and bushes and flowers and i hardly smell anything, i keep wondering what kind of scents i would smell if i was healthy. I miss all those smells, newly sawn grass and all.... I remember the whole garden would smell like grass even from far away when my parents cuts the grass in garden. Now i didn't test it yet because it is winter but i would say i probably would smell it only up close to the grass, and not intense as before even up close.... Life feels dull.

It kills me inside. I feel like a sub- human. How will i ever know...
(Comparing your smell sense in detail with a healthy friend, maybe would work.)

Can someone please help me out? I can be stoic about this situation and all and i was like that for a long time, but i need something else... To recover or cope.

Last edited:
P

Peatness

Zinc
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Niacin
I'm sorry you are going through this and thank you for sharing. I remember reading about vitamin A and Vitamin D restoring smell disturbances. Have you looked into either of those.

jay123

Zinc
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Niacin

Im a painter and i remember the smell of oil in my room when i enter. Now i hardly smell the oil in my room. But my taste seems to be back like %90. I can smell some other smells as strong as before (?) i suppose. For example, i can't smell my own poop at all! Some other people also reported this.

But other than that i still have reduced sense of smell.

And the hardest thing for me is the ''uncertainty'' Like will i ever regain my function 100% back to normal? Can i smell like a normal person again? The uncertainty of the situation is so hard for me to cope.

And how will i know that i recovered 100% while i am not sure about what was the 100% anymore.
Like your mind gets used to your reducing sense of smell and you start to forget how strong was your senses before... Adapts itself to the new situation.

I walk down a street with trees and bushes and flowers and i hardly smell anything, i keep wondering what kind of scents i would smell if i was healthy. I miss all those smells, newly sawn grass and all.... I remember the whole garden would smell like grass even from far away when my parents cuts the grass in garden. Now i didn't test it yet because it is winter but i would say i probably would smell it only up close to the grass, and not intense as before even up close.... Life feels dull.

It kills me inside. I feel like a sub- human. How will i ever know...
(Comparing your smell sense in detail with a healthy friend, maybe would work.)

Can someone please help me out? I can be stoic about this situation and all and i was like that for a long time, but i need something else... To recover or cope.
I can relate to this too. I have all the same thoughts.

RealNeat

I can relate to this too. I have all the same thoughts.
Might want to get in contact with Keith Littlewood or Chris Masterjohn. Also I'd find a skilled acupuncturist or chiropractor, they deal with this type of stuff more frequently than you'd think, this was not unheard of "pre-covid."

@Cooper

jay123

Might want to get in contact with Keith Littlewood or Chris Masterjohn. Also I'd find a skilled acupuncturist or chiropractor, they deal with this type of stuff more frequently than you'd think, this was not unheard of "pre-covid."

@Cooper
Thanks!

LoryEl

My brother had COVID19 ( i fermly belive it is just a bad flue nothing else based on what i see around me)and lost smell and taste for a few days and could not get it back. Day 5 when it seemed even worst I gave him 10000units of vit D his smell and taste came back in 2 hours. My teenage daugter was recently "tested positive" i started her on 10000 units of vid D in olive oil and she never lost smell or taste. Just a small fever and today some headake but full on her feet. Rest of us in the house did not got it. I personally make a case of spending a lot of 1:1 time with anyone sick helping them out and I did not got it but i am on high dose vid D. Hope this helps you recover. I also am not a fan of too many supplimnets especially considering how many other stuff they put in pills now. i would live out anything that you have been on for a while and did not pay off.

David PS

Lactoferrin supplementation for taste and smell abnormalities among patients receiving cancer chemotherapy - PubMed
Support Care Cancer 2021 Oct 13 - "Taste and smell abnormalities (TSA) are common in patients receiving chemotherapy and may lead to altered nutritional intake, treatment withdrawal, and impaired quality of life. Lipid peroxidation in the oral cavity is one cause of TSA. Lactoferrin (LFN), an iron-binding salivary protein, reduces production of lipid oxidation byproducts and has been shown to reduce perception of unpleasant flavors ... A total of 26 patients enrolled; 19 remained on study at day 30 and 17 at day 60. Baseline mean TSQ scores were 6.5 (taste), 3.1 (smell), and 9.6 (composite). By day 30, mean composite TSQ score improved by 1.7 (p = 0.018); taste and smell improved by 0.6 (p = 0.062) and 1.1 (p = 0.042), respectively. From baseline to day 60, mean composite TSQ score improved by 3.8 (p < 0.0001); taste and smell improved by 1.9 (p = 0.001) and 1.8 (p = 0.003)"

jay123

Lactoferrin supplementation for taste and smell abnormalities among patients receiving cancer chemotherapy - PubMed
Support Care Cancer 2021 Oct 13 - "Taste and smell abnormalities (TSA) are common in patients receiving chemotherapy and may lead to altered nutritional intake, treatment withdrawal, and impaired quality of life. Lipid peroxidation in the oral cavity is one cause of TSA. Lactoferrin (LFN), an iron-binding salivary protein, reduces production of lipid oxidation byproducts and has been shown to reduce perception of unpleasant flavors ... A total of 26 patients enrolled; 19 remained on study at day 30 and 17 at day 60. Baseline mean TSQ scores were 6.5 (taste), 3.1 (smell), and 9.6 (composite). By day 30, mean composite TSQ score improved by 1.7 (p = 0.018); taste and smell improved by 0.6 (p = 0.062) and 1.1 (p = 0.042), respectively. From baseline to day 60, mean composite TSQ score improved by 3.8 (p < 0.0001); taste and smell improved by 1.9 (p = 0.001) and 1.8 (p = 0.003)"
Interesting

InChristAlone

My brother had COVID19 ( i fermly belive it is just a bad flue nothing else based on what i see around me)and lost smell and taste for a few days and could not get it back. Day 5 when it seemed even worst I gave him 10000units of vit D his smell and taste came back in 2 hours. My teenage daugter was recently "tested positive" i started her on 10000 units of vid D in olive oil and she never lost smell or taste. Just a small fever and today some headake but full on her feet. Rest of us in the house did not got it. I personally make a case of spending a lot of 1:1 time with anyone sick helping them out and I did not got it but i am on high dose vid D. Hope this helps you recover. I also am not a fan of too many supplimnets especially considering how many other stuff they put in pills now. i would live out anything that you have been on for a while and did not pay off.
Excellent! I'm not a huge fan of supplemental vitamin D but I do know flu symptoms are way worse in people who don't get enough sunlight so however it needs to be done vitamin D is still needed.

David PS

Interesting
I had posted this in the "how to treat" thread last Sunday.

Last edited:

jay123

I had posted this in the "how to treat" thread last Sunday.
Yeah, Im going to try this. I only found one brand without excipients. I will start over this weekend. Im hoping for good things. They are 500 mg tabs.

David PS

Yeah, Im going to try this. I only found one brand without excipients. I will start over this weekend. Im hoping for good things. They are 500 mg tabs.

Great, please let me know if it works for you. By the way, lactoferrin is found in colostrum. Bovine colostrum inherently contains lactoferrin but it is not always specifically listed. Often it is just lumped into the term immunoglobulins. The product labeling for "Symbiotics Colostrum Capsules Plus, Supports Healthy Immune Response" has lactoferrin in the fine print. I do my window shopping at Amazon.

Last edited:

RealNeat

Great, please let me know if it works for you. By the way, lactoferrin is found in colostrum. Bovine colostrum inherently contains lactoferrin but it is not always specifically listed. Often it is just lumped into the term immunoglobulins. The product labeling for "Symbiotics Colostrum Capsules Plus, Supports Healthy Immune Response" has lactoferrin in the fine print. I do my window shopping at Amazon.
With the amount of milk Ray suggests drinking would one not get a decent amount of lactoferrin?

David PS

With the amount of milk Ray suggests drinking would one not get a decent amount of lactoferrin?
That is a good question. I have never considered getting lactoferrin from milk. Lactoferrin is high in colostrum (intended for a baby calf) and human breast milk. Cows milk has much less with the exact amounts depending in part on the age of the cow, the stage of lactation, number of milk somatic cells and the presence of pathogens. I think that is why people look to colostrum as a source of lactoferrin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals