Advice on getting long term taste lose after covid??

Cameron

Maybe @haidut would know the reason for long term taste lose (four months now) after possibly having covid. Is there a way to get taste back? Benadryl Flonase aspirin wild oregano steam tried all of these... no taste and oj taste like chemicals.. losing taste is definitely a very real issue I and others have experienced. Any help would be great. Side note other wise healthy male 27 athlete with very metabolic nutrition and rarely have noticeable issues. Smell is coming back past couple months but zero taste for four months. Thanks! Getting old I miss the taste of coffee and milk.

RealNeat

Try lions mane mushroom. Pair it with a micro dose and niacin if so inclined. Like mentioned it's likely a temporary nerve problem. Imagine how long it takes to get feeling back in your finger after a deep cut. I'd try things that really get the mitochondria kicking. MB, aspirin, coq10, red light etc...

LeeLemonoil

It’s a damage to the taste receptors which are g-Protein coupled receptors but also damaged in neuronal transmission downstream.

That’s tissue that takes quite a while to repair. Gaba and vitamin c for structure and repair are my suggestions to supplement ocassionaly

dfspcc20

@Cameron Just curious, since loss of taste/smell has come up several times on the forum.
When you say loss of taste, does that mean you're unable to taste sweet, salty, bitter? Or is it primarily loss of smell & inability to sense flavors? Or both?

Loss of smell/flavor is common with colds & flu, if your nose is congested. Similar to if you pinch your nose with your fingers while eating something.

Loss of taste (via the tongue) is different, and does point to some "newness" in what most people with COVID (whatever it really is) are experiencing. At least in my opinion. I've probably had a cold and/or flu at least once every year since I was 3 up to around 38. Loss of taste was never a symptom, neither for me, my friends or family.

(queue someone pointing out loss of taste is listed symptom of several illnesses; maybe someone's experience can confirm/deny that)

Tim Lundeen

These researchers suggest a high lysine-to-arginine diet and no caffeine/coffee.

YouTube interview:

Research paper. The lead scientist, Dr Kagan, has had research published by The Lancet, one of the top medical journals in the world.
(PDF) Lysine Therapy for SARS-CoV-2

OP
Cameron

Cameron

@Cameron Just curious, since loss of taste/smell has come up several times on the forum.
When you say loss of taste, does that mean you're unable to taste sweet, salty, bitter? Or is it primarily loss of smell & inability to sense flavors? Or both?

Loss of smell/flavor is common with colds & flu, if your nose is congested. Similar to if you pinch your nose with your fingers while eating something.

Loss of taste (via the tongue) is different, and does point to some "newness" in what most people with COVID (whatever it really is) are experiencing. At least in my opinion. I've probably had a cold and/or flu at least once every year since I was 3 up to around 38. Loss of taste was never a symptom, neither for me, my friends or family.

(queue someone pointing out loss of taste is listed symptom of several illnesses; maybe someone's experience can confirm/deny that)
Lose of flavors for me.. I still enjoy my food textures salty sweet but unique flavors are gone except oddly enough I can taste some artificial flavors like red bull Gatorade powders.. but even that is weak. I loose taste with colds and allergies but yes unique in this, Like most people, because the lose of taste has been months and months.

OP
Cameron

Cameron

These researchers suggest a high lysine-to-arginine diet and no caffeine/coffee.

YouTube interview:

Research paper. The lead scientist, Dr Kagan, has had research published by The Lancet, one of the top medical journals in the world.
(PDF) Lysine Therapy for SARS-CoV-2

Nice I have been using gelatin but I do drink quite a bit of coffee caffeine that no coffee outlook is interesting

AndrewGesell

Maybe @haidut would know the reason for long term taste lose (four months now) after possibly having covid. Is there a way to get taste back? Benadryl Flonase aspirin wild oregano steam tried all of these... no taste and oj taste like chemicals.. losing taste is definitely a very real issue I and others have experienced. Any help would be great. Side note other wise healthy male 27 athlete with very metabolic nutrition and rarely have noticeable issues. Smell is coming back past couple months but zero taste for four months. Thanks! Getting old I miss the taste of coffee and milk.
I’m sad to hear that, man. All I can say as a mostly recovered covid case was that it took time. I’ve been experiencing symptoms in waves including smell loss and its almost normal again after 8 months. Don’t stress and keep trying new things - should get better

OP
Cameron

Cameron

I’m sad to hear that, man. All I can say as a mostly recovered covid case was that it took time. I’ve been experiencing symptoms in waves including smell loss and its almost normal again after 8 months. Don’t stress and keep trying new things - should get better
Good to hear! Sinus regeneration I figured will be likely people talking about permanent loss but this has only been around “whatever it is” exactly for a year. Good to hear it came back even if it was a long time.

AndrewGesell

Good to hear! Sinus regeneration I figured will be likely people talking about permanent loss but this has only been around “whatever it is” exactly for a year. Good to hear it came back even if it was a long time.
Yeah man it came back immediately when the acute phase ended then kept reemerging. The intensity of the waves has gone down over a long period of time but obviously the loss of sensation was never permanent.

RealNeat

Yeah man it came back immediately when the acute phase ended then kept reemerging. The intensity of the waves has gone down over a long period of time but obviously the loss of sensation was never permanent.
Were you guys in any state of sleep deprivation leading to it?

equipoise

Both my father and I suffer from chronic sinusitis and both have 90% smell lost. On the other hand, my sister is like some wild animal, extraordinary smell

Nomane Euger

Both my father and I suffer from chronic sinusitis and both have 90% smell lost. On the other hand, my sister is like some wild animal, extraordinary smell
Equipoise,are those chronic sinutisis related to covid?if not I had a dreadfull smell from 13 to 24 years,basically the worst than any one I know,September 2020,I ate only meat for a week,with 60 grammes of grass fed grass finished veal liver per day,and 100 grammes of grass fed grass finished beef suet,it improved,and at the end of this week I ate freshly harvested honey comb,I did swallow the comb and anything contained in it including the pollen,propolis,I felt like I took some psychedelics substances,I had a few nightmares this very night,but the day after I got the nose back for the first time since 10 years,my air passage was exceptionally,my smell was so ******* sensitive it was incredible,it lasted 3 days and then vanished,even the peoples With te best smell I know couldn’t smell odors that I was smelling those 3 days.

equipoise

Equipoise,are those chronic sinutisis related to covid?if not I had a dreadfull smell from 13 to 24 years,basically the worst than any one I know,September 2020,I ate only meat for a week,with 60 grammes of grass fed grass finished veal liver per day,and 100 grammes of grass fed grass finished beef suet,it improved,and at the end of this week I ate freshly harvested honey comb,I did swallow the comb and anything contained in it including the pollen,propolis,I felt like I took some psychedelics substances,I had a few nightmares this very night,but the day after I got the nose back for the first time since 10 years,my air passage was exceptionally,my smell was so ******* sensitive it was incredible,it lasted 3 days and then vanished,even the peoples With te best smell I know couldn’t smell odors that I was smelling those 3 days.

Nah since young age, it gets better in summer and autumn times and then gets completely shutdown in winter. Every year.
Do you know what could've caused the psychedelic experience?

Nomane Euger

Nah since young age, it gets better in summer and autumn times and then gets completely shutdown in winter. Every year.
Do you know what could've caused the psychedelic experience?
I don’t know what in the comb,the comb itself,the fresh pollen,perhaps there was some bee venum,there is venum in the’ comb according to my bee keeper friend,I also got a swollen lips when I woke up the day after.my color vision was also insane the day after despit it was a cloudy day everything did looks « pastel »type color