Loss of smell and taste- Covid19

Cooper

Hello guys, i had a covid experience two months ago. It was mild. However me and my mother still experience loss of taste and smell. It improved from nearly zero to %60 i would say. But it is a slow process.

Is there any unknown ways to fix this issue fully or to help its recovery? Any personal experiences would be good to hear. Also, will i ever get back to 100% state? How will i know when i get back to normal fully?

Thanks.

jzone56

Hello guys, i had a covid experience two months ago. It was mild. However me and my mother still experience loss of taste and smell. It improved from nearly zero to %60 i would say. But it is a slow process.

Is there any unknown ways to fix this issue fully or to help its recovery? Any personal experiences would be good to hear. Also, will i ever get back to 100% state? How will i know when i get back to normal fully?

Thanks.

I think mine came back 100% about ~1 month after all symptoms resolved (no congestion/runny nose/fever).

Aside from diet, I take t3 so perhaps that sped up the healing process.

Another friend who came down with covid same time as me had full senses returned about 2 weeks after. I think if you supply your body with the building blocks required to repair those cells, your body will repair and will regain full senses in time.

Zigzag

I lost smell for 2 weeks or so. It came back to the previous perfectly fine state. But my covid case was pretty weird and mild I'd say (very low body temp 35C, insane weakness and that's about it) .

supercoolguy

I lost smell for 2 weeks or so. It came back to the previous perfectly fine state. But my covid case was pretty weird and mild I'd say (very low body temp 35C, insane weakness and that's about it) .
Why is loosing a sense of smell from so called CV19, such a bad thing? My housemates stink from constant Onion & Garlic consumption.
The subsequent B.O. is unstoppable.

Beastmode

Peat has mentioned Zinc, but I would still look at the major factors first (i.e- body temp, pulse, mood, sleep quality, libido, etc) to see if and how they are trending (good or bad.) If those are all moving in the right direction, it might just be a "time" thing while your system regenerates.

Also, going to a park, garden of flowers, etc with some conscious attention to what you can and can't smell can help.

Lilac

I lost 98 percent of my sense of smell in late December/early January. Taste was affected, too, but less so. For three months, I had no improvement. I finally wrote Ray, and he suggested shellfish, for the zinc. I ate canned oysters and fresh shrimp and also supplemented a bit. Within two weeks, my sense of smell improved. I'd say I am at 10 to 15 percent power now. I think it will be a slow healing. When I started the oysters and zinc, a clear, light, strongly acidic liquid was dripping out of my nose. I have to keep a handkerchief handy. I suspect this is part of the healing process. Someone on the forum said it took eight months for complete recovery. Don't panic.

maillol

I've had a terrible sense of smell for years, not from covid but I've noticed these things improve it:
Thiamine
B6
Egg yolks
Methylene Blue
Iodine
Pregnenolone
Walking

jay123

I had a headache for about 4 hours on December 18th. I woke up on 19th and drank a glass of oj that tasted like water. As of today I still have no taste and can barely smell things. I had no other symptoms. I have done smell protocols and of course following the zinc info. Hoping it comes back soon!

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Thiamine perhaps.

jay123

Thiamine perhaps.

Thanks. Yes. I have done it over the last couple of months.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I had a headache for about 4 hours on December 18th. I woke up on 19th and drank a glass of oj that tasted like water. As of today I still have no taste and can barely smell things. I had no other symptoms. I have done smell protocols and of course following the zinc info. Hoping it comes back soon!
I might have heard Dr. Peat or someone into the metabolic theory of health mention that elevated cortisol can inhibit the sense of smell too. Hang in. It took one of my friends about 6 months post covid-19 to get his full sense of smell back. He was the extremely high cortisol type and his lifestyle and diet didn't help.

tanya48

I had a loss of taste and smell for only about 5 days and then went back to 100% normal. I was taking Zink, Vit. C, Vit D, colloidal silver, and Echinacea for the duration of covid which lasted about 12-14 days.

Mike wolff

I lost mine for several months still not back ? the strange think is it changed my taste buds I never been a sweat eater and now that’s all I crave along with pasta and bagels , my wife is the same too post covid

jay123

I lost mine for several months still not back ? the strange think is it changed my taste buds I never been a sweat eater and now that’s all I crave along with pasta and bagels , my wife is the same too post covid
Yeah. I tell people and eat by sight but I can "sense" salt and sweet in my food. I salt the heck out of everything.

Diokine

I have been researching protein dynamics in relation to olfaction and I think there are some important points to consider.

Prion protein (PrPc) is a protein found throughout the body, but especially in the nervous system. The term prion is typically associated with infectious prion diseases like mad cow, which is initiated by pathologic misfolded protein sequences, which appear to transfer their conformational arrangements and cause neurodegenerative disease.

The normal form of prion protein is however critically involved in maintaining liquid-liquid phase interfaces in cells and neurons, this is critical for maintaining the especially differentiated environments where the complex electronic signals generated by metabolism are propagated.

Amino acids form long chains, which form more complex structures like helices and sheets, these manifest incredibly complex electronic interactions, additions of metals like zinc and copper to domains on these protein chains allows for tuning of their response. Copper specifically can interact with these complexes to create tunable semiconducting interfaces. Reductions of this semiconducting property can allow excessive broadband current, resulting in excitotoxicity.

Imagine the output of light from the sun. This luminous output is driven by the incredible reactions happening inside of the sun, and these reactions occupy a nearly continuous spectrum of interaction. This represents chromaticity. In a musical sense, a diatonic scale is represented by the 7 notes of the scale, following a particular pattern, based off of a root note or tonic. A scale that utilizes smaller steps, for instance all 12 of the commonly used musical notes, would be chromatic. A continuous shift in pitch could be described as hyperchromatic.

Olfaction requires a nearly hyperchromatic integrity of signals, and this requires precise modulation of the physical substrate of electronic interaction – the proteins. Situations that encourage protein aggregation and disruption of liquid-liquid phase interfaces can be imagined to have a critical role in disrupting proper olfactory response. Viruses are known to do this. Proteins themselves can also do this, ala the classic pathological prion protein. Some proteins, specifically aromatic acid sequences, can cause self-amplification of low complexity amino acid repeats associated with prion like domains. In a healthy organism this process is checked by chaperones and a properly functioning proteolytic apparatus. In a stressed organism, this self-amplification can reach a critical point and will manifest as damage to tissue.

In this context, I think that proteolytic enzymes like serrapeptase and nattokinase may be promising in encouraging proteome integrity and assisting in removing protease-resistant aggregates that may have been precipitated by offenders. Zinc might also be beneficial through matrix metalloprotease activity, among other mechanisms. I think that B5, B6, and B12 would also be important. Limiting excitoxicity with something like limonene might also be prudent. Proper adrenal activity and proteolytic potency would also be important.

Copper and the Prion Protein: Methods, Structures, Function, and Disease

Zinc and Copper Influence Excitability of Rat Olfactory Bulb Neurons by Multiple Mechanisms

Olfactory behavior and physiology are disrupted in prion protein knockout mice

Valence and patterning of aromatic residues determine the phase behavior of prion-like domains

Binding of methylene blue to a surface cleft inhibits the oligomerization and fibrillization of prion protein

jay123

I have been researching protein dynamics in relation to olfaction and I think there are some important points to consider.

Prion protein (PrPc) is a protein found throughout the body, but especially in the nervous system. The term prion is typically associated with infectious prion diseases like mad cow, which is initiated by pathologic misfolded protein sequences, which appear to transfer their conformational arrangements and cause neurodegenerative disease.

The normal form of prion protein is however critically involved in maintaining liquid-liquid phase interfaces in cells and neurons, this is critical for maintaining the especially differentiated environments where the complex electronic signals generated by metabolism are propagated.

Amino acids form long chains, which form more complex structures like helices and sheets, these manifest incredibly complex electronic interactions, additions of metals like zinc and copper to domains on these protein chains allows for tuning of their response. Copper specifically can interact with these complexes to create tunable semiconducting interfaces. Reductions of this semiconducting property can allow excessive broadband current, resulting in excitotoxicity.

Imagine the output of light from the sun. This luminous output is driven by the incredible reactions happening inside of the sun, and these reactions occupy a nearly continuous spectrum of interaction. This represents chromaticity. In a musical sense, a diatonic scale is represented by the 7 notes of the scale, following a particular pattern, based off of a root note or tonic. A scale that utilizes smaller steps, for instance all 12 of the commonly used musical notes, would be chromatic. A continuous shift in pitch could be described as hyperchromatic.

Olfaction requires a nearly hyperchromatic integrity of signals, and this requires precise modulation of the physical substrate of electronic interaction – the proteins. Situations that encourage protein aggregation and disruption of liquid-liquid phase interfaces can be imagined to have a critical role in disrupting proper olfactory response. Viruses are known to do this. Proteins themselves can also do this, ala the classic pathological prion protein. Some proteins, specifically aromatic acid sequences, can cause self-amplification of low complexity amino acid repeats associated with prion like domains. In a healthy organism this process is checked by chaperones and a properly functioning proteolytic apparatus. In a stressed organism, this self-amplification can reach a critical point and will manifest as damage to tissue.

In this context, I think that proteolytic enzymes like serrapeptase and nattokinase may be promising in encouraging proteome integrity and assisting in removing protease-resistant aggregates that may have been precipitated by offenders. Zinc might also be beneficial through matrix metalloprotease activity, among other mechanisms. I think that B5, B6, and B12 would also be important. Limiting excitoxicity with something like limonene might also be prudent. Proper adrenal activity and proteolytic potency would also be important.

Copper and the Prion Protein: Methods, Structures, Function, and Disease

Zinc and Copper Influence Excitability of Rat Olfactory Bulb Neurons by Multiple Mechanisms

Olfactory behavior and physiology are disrupted in prion protein knockout mice

Valence and patterning of aromatic residues determine the phase behavior of prion-like domains

Binding of methylene blue to a surface cleft inhibits the oligomerization and fibrillization of prion protein

So methylene blue may help? I have some but have not used it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals