Has anyone recovered their sense of smell and Parosmia after 6 months of Post- Covid?

Cooper

Im almost 5 months in post- covid, and i still didn't recover my sense of smell fully. I still can't smell my own body odor and i can't taste beer for example. I also have altered sense of taste and smell. Foods and drinks taste rotten sometimes. I tried every supplement and doing smell trainings but no...

Has anyone recovered their sense of smell and taste by 100% after 6 months of Covid, or i just got permanently damaged at this point? (5 months in)

What can i do, thanks.

AndrewGesell

Im almost 5 months in post- covid, and i still didn't recover my sense of smell fully. I still can't smell my own body odor and i can't taste beer for example. I also have altered sense of taste and smell. Foods and drinks taste rotten sometimes. I tried every supplement and doing smell trainings but no...

Has anyone recovered their sense of smell and taste by 100% after 6 months of Covid, or i just got permanently damaged at this point? (5 months in)

What can i do, thanks.
Nope. I still lose it to this day bin tiny bits after a year but it always goes back to say 90% threshold. Maybe with time. Have you tried smelling citrus ? I’ve heard it is an exercise that must be accomplished in post covid groups

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems like I have but I suppose it’s somewhat hard to know for certain. I never had a great sense of smell after having reconstructive surgery on my sinuses after a MVA at age 18 though. I’m 7 months post covid and never feel like I should be able to smell or taste but do not.

Lollipop2

I did - but only lost smell and some taste for maybe a week and it was May/June 2020.

angelina

There is roasted orange trick on youtube that worked for my daughter. You have to char an orange slice and eat it. There are some people that are recovering their sense of smell using "scent therapy." I understood this concept immediately as I have kids with autism and remembered that in sensory therapies they sometimes the stimulate sense of smell along with other senses. I advised my daughter to get 4 different essential oils (like they do in the scent therapies) however, do other things while you smell them. Hold ice cubes, put your feet in warm water, blindfold yourself....anything that will stimulate senses WHILE you smell. Do it a few times a day. She took baths after work with various temps and smelled the oils. She thinks this helped, but the charred orange trick really brought it back and then she got better over the next week or so. Best of luck. I lost mine for 2 weeks after Covid and it was maddening. I can't even imagine 6 months.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z0drnuRvw

angelina

There is roasted orange trick on youtube that worked for my daughter. You have to char an orange slice and eat it. There are some people that are recovering their sense of smell using "scent therapy." I understood this concept immediately as I have kids with autism and remembered that in sensory therapies they sometimes the stimulate sense of smell along with other senses. I advised my daughter to get 4 different essential oils (like they do in the scent therapies) however, do other things while you smell them. Hold ice cubes, put your feet in warm water, blindfold yourself....anything that will stimulate senses WHILE you smell. Do it a few times a day. She took baths after work with various temps and smelled the oils. She thinks this helped, but the charred orange trick really brought it back and then she got better over the next week or so. Best of luck. I lost mine for 2 weeks after Covid and it was maddening. I can't even imagine 6 months.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z0drnuRvw

Sorry, just saw you were doing smell training. I was reading too fast!!!

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I have my smell back to what I feel is 100%. I have COVID 1/4/21. It took about 3 months for it to return.

RealNeat

I have my smell back to what I feel is 100%. I have COVID 1/4/21. It took about 3 months for it to return.
Did it slowly come back or at once?

JamesGatz

If you want your sense of smell back just lower your serotonin - I can smell literally everything when my serotonin is low - another person's shampoo from a different day's shower, I can smell their fear as well ... like a dog I can sniff out when they're afraid

Saba

I recovered mine within about a month. But I only lost my sense of smell for a week and my sense of taste was slightly weakened but never gone. I may have taken some zinc once or twice during that month.

Taotatoes

I recovered mine within 2 weeks of symptoms ending, but ever since (Aug 2020) sometimes when I go outside and breathe fresh air, I taste/smell lemonade. Happens frequently. It weirds me out.

jjg2996

I was sick and lost my sense of smell and taste the week before Thanksgiving. Once I recovered, I took about 100mg’s zinc daily for a week, and then 50mg’s daily for another week, and smell and taste came right back. Something about zinc deficiency and immune response. My sisters smell/taste had been about 50% after getting sick as well. Didn’t change for 4 months. She started zinc supplements and her smell and taste came back fully in 3 weeks. Some people may need to keep bio-available copper (organ meats) high when taking a lot of zinc to balance it out, do your research.

Perry Staltic

I was sick and lost my sense of smell and taste the week before Thanksgiving. Once I recovered, I took about 100mg’s zinc daily for a week, and then 50mg’s daily for another week, and smell and taste came right back. Something about zinc deficiency and immune response. My sisters smell/taste had been about 50% after getting sick as well. Didn’t change for 4 months. She started zinc supplements and her smell and taste came back fully in 3 weeks. Some people may need to keep bio-available copper (organ meats) high when taking a lot of zinc to balance it out, do your research.

that's very interesting. those are elevated doses, but that may be what is needed short term to correct the situation. also selenium is recommended because it apparently makes zinc bioavailable

OP
Cooper

Cooper

Yeah i tried Zinc with no results, thx for sharing though.

Now i ordered Vitamin A nasal drops, there are studies about it but im 8 months post covid. Idk if it suppose to work for me too? The studies show recovery on covid patients and maybe post covid ones with the usage of Vitamin A nasal drops.

Has anyone tried VitA nasal drops?

Or anyone else recovered lately, fully the smell regardless of method?

Thanks

RealNeat

Now i ordered Vitamin A nasal drops, there are studies about it but im 8 months post covid. Idk if it suppose to work for me too? The studies show recovery on covid patients and maybe post covid ones with the usage of Vitamin A nasal drops.

Thanks
I have a developing theory.

Can you smell anything? If you can, can you smell sulfur specifically, feces, farts, eggs, cauliflower, milk, etc... (side note can you taste sweet, salt and sour? In my understanding if you can you have your sense of taste, just not smell)

Most people I've met that lost their sense of smell get back the ability to smell sulfur last.

Is this because the body is trying to get more animal products in the diet for the sulfur and zinc? I think so.

Here is the theory, the things you can't taste or that don't taste bad (temporarily) you need more of.

There is a mineral analysis test based specifically on this phenomenon.

Zinc is well known to be a nasty bitter taste, try liquid zinc sulfate and see if you can taste it. It's almost unbearable to most people. It'll hit the sulfur and zinc needs if that ends up being the problem.

Also I'd focus more on animal foods, especially eggs and milk, sulfur is important for environmental contaminant detoxification and the so called immune system.

Good little write up on sulfur below, he sells the sulfur salt, I've tried it, tastes like salty eggs, smell goes away when cooked but it retains the sulfur. I don't know if I'd suggest it however as it's pink and likely has too much iron. A good read nonetheless.

Last edited:

bogbody

Thanks
i got some retinil for my husband to use nasally and he said it helped him.

Lilac

Can you smell anything? If you can, can you smell sulfur specifically, feces, farts, eggs, cauliflower, milk, etc... (side note can you taste sweet, salt and sour? In my understanding if you can you have your sense of taste, just not smell)

Most people I've met that lost their sense of smell get back the ability to smell sulfur last.

Is this because the body is trying to get more animal products in the diet for the sulfur and zinc? I think so.

Here is the theory, the things you can't taste or that don't taste bad (temporarily) you need more of.

There is a mineral analysis test based specifically on this phenomenon.

Zinc is well known to be a nasty bitter taste, try liquid zinc sulfate and see if you can taste it. It's almost unbearable to most people. It'll hit the sulfur and zinc needs if that ends up being the problem.

Also I'd focus more on animal foods, especially eggs and milk, sulfur is important for environmental contaminant detoxification and the so called immune system.

I am glad I just looked up "parosmia," as that is what I have now. It's about one year since losing 98 percent of my sense of smell. It took three or four months to get back a bit--may 10 percent. Adding shellfish (per Ray) helped to speed things along. Got up to maybe 40 percent in another couple of months. I continued to eat oysters and get sun and my sense of smell slowly improved. One day, I could smell the gas from the stovetop. Finally, I could smell my own urine (but distorted). I have a lot of distorted smells. Some things are registering, but they are registering wrong. I did think sulfur might be involved. I would also say that the distortion has gotten worse. My cologne bottles went from "nothing" to "very faint but pleasant" to, now, "fairly strong but unappealing." I remember smelling, faintly but truly, lilac and basil earlier in 2021. Now basil registers this generic "green/acrid/somewhat unpleasant" smell. I used to have a very keen nose and palate, so this is frustrating.

Things that taste and/or smell wrong:
Onions, garlic
Coffee
Orange juice
Basil
Coke (but Dr. Pepper tastes right!?)
Beef
Chicken
Bacon
Eggs
Chocolate

I had recently starting dropping onion and garlic, as the dishes taste better without them. But maybe that is the wrong approach, as you theorize. Coke, onion, and garlic are the most unpleasant. Coffee and orange juice are OK. I still crave them, but it must be for the nutrients. They are not delightfully delicious. :(

RealNeat

I am glad I just looked up "parosmia," as that is what I have now. It's about one year since losing 98 percent of my sense of smell. It took three or four months to get back a bit--may 10 percent. Adding shellfish (per Ray) helped to speed things along. Got up to maybe 40 percent in another couple of months. I continued to eat oysters and get sun and my sense of smell slowly improved. One day, I could smell the gas from the stovetop. Finally, I could smell my own urine (but distorted). I have a lot of distorted smells. Some things are registering, but they are registering wrong. I did think sulfur might be involved. I would also say that the distortion has gotten worse. My cologne bottles went from "nothing" to "very faint but pleasant" to, now, "fairly strong but unappealing." I remember smelling, faintly but truly, lilac and basil earlier in 2021. Now basil registers this generic "green/acrid/somewhat unpleasant" smell. I used to have a very keen nose and palate, so this is frustrating.

Things that taste and/or smell wrong:
Onions, garlic
Coffee
Orange juice
Basil
Coke (but Dr. Pepper tastes right!?)
Beef
Chicken
Bacon
Eggs
Chocolate

I had recently starting dropping onion and garlic, as the dishes taste better without them. But maybe that is the wrong approach, as you theorize. Coke, onion, and garlic are the most unpleasant. Coffee and orange juice are OK. I still crave them, but it must be for the nutrients. They are not delightfully delicious. :(

The theory I'm talking about suggests the opposite however. If something tastes bad or unappealing it's probably not what's needed. It is a loose theory, so more investigation is needed.

It should not taste at all, taste good or taste neutral if one needs it.