Lines Down Fingernails

kineticz

I have just noticed that since I started implementing some Peat ideas into my diet and lifestyle I have developed white lines down my fingernails for the first time ever.

I have also developed white semi circles at the base of my fingernails.

I used to check them and I think it was because someone suggested they tell of a zinc deficiency. Is this true?

This site seems to think it's liver disease or protein deficiency

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nail-abnor ... ction.aspx

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Maybe you could post a picture of your nails?

Sheila

Dear Kineticz
I think you will find the white lines in the link you posted refer to transverse lines, whereas I think you are meaning longitudinal lines? If they are transverse, I think they're similar to Beau's lines showing some sort of interruption to repair, possibly gut related. So, to concur with Blossom, a picture would be good.
Sheila

Stilgar

I too have developed these ridges. Longitudinal ones, mainly on my thumbs, but in the light I can see them on my other nails.

I have recently too been wondering about them, seeing as I have been suffering a bit from brittle nails, urge to chew, strange feeling in my mouth, rapid change in hair texture, leg cramps and weakness and things like that. This pattern seems to come on suddenly, and then disappear a few days later and I wondered if it was due to lack of protein in my diet, on top of taking thyroid which is increasing my protein needs.

What is your protein intake? When I really examine my diet over the last few months (years even), even whilst knowing Peat's recommendations, I realise that it has been embarrassingly low for me. Anything less than 60g and my body seems to freak.

I have a hunch that the nails are just the memento from said journey of protein deprivation.

tara

White semi-circles at base of fingernails sounds like normal lunulas.

OP
kineticz

kineticz

Hi sorry they are indeed Longitudinal

Very faint so my camera won't pick them up but my nails were clear pink before I started adding sugar etc.

ljihkugft7

I
I too have developed these ridges. Longitudinal ones, mainly on my thumbs, but in the light I can see them on my other nails.

I have recently too been wondering about them, seeing as I have been suffering a bit from brittle nails, urge to chew, strange feeling in my mouth, rapid change in hair texture, leg cramps and weakness and things like that. This pattern seems to come on suddenly, and then disappear a few days later and I wondered if it was due to lack of protein in my diet, on top of taking thyroid which is increasing my protein needs.

What is your protein intake? When I really examine my diet over the last few months (years even), even whilst knowing Peat's recommendations, I realise that it has been embarrassingly low for me. Anything less than 60g and my body seems to freak.

I have a hunch that the nails are just the memento from said journey of protein deprivation.
I agree. I always come up short with protein and have these lines as well as white spots.

I definitely feel that it is from protein deficiency or gut inefficiency.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals