Minor symptoms - hair, nails, eyes, ears

tara

My most important issue is migraine (main migraine thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3503). If this gets resolved I promise to be happy. :D
Secondarily, I'd like better brain function and more energy.
I don't really care if my minor symptoms get resolved for themselves (though it'd be a nice bonus), but I wonder if they give clues to inform my approach.

Nails: My finger nails have for as long as i can remember been soft, ridged, and with white blotches. I think they may be slow growing, but I don't know what normal is. Someone once said the white blotches indicate zinc deficiency. I think I read somewhere that zinc deficiency can contribute to long, difficult labour, and I certainly had one of those a few years ago (not intending any more). Can anyone confirm either of these?
I think I've read that hypothyroid nails tend to be brittle, and hyperthyroid ones more often soft? The white spots are smaller at the moment - I got briefly excited, thinking they were gone, and then realised it's just that my eyesight has got worse.

Hair: early greyed, hardly any colour left now under the henna on my head (other places still have colour). I think this may indicate long term copper deficiency? Wonder if I should supplement copper, since this is hard to get from food But supplementing seems risky too.
I get a bit of unfashionable chin and uppper lip hair, and remove it weekly. Is this estrogen dominance?
Faint fuzz over forehead. Any significance?
These are all decades long symptoms.

Eyes: Bloodshot. This is recent, just in the last few months of Peat-inspired approach. This doesn't seem like a good sign, but not sure what it indicates/whether I should do anything. I wonder whether it turning up recently has anything to do with me drinking a lot less straight water lately, and eatng more salt?
My eyesight has been gradually worsening/getting more long-sighted. Nothing exceptional for my (late-forties) age, but noticeable. I used to have very good eysight.

Ears: My hearing is not particularly acute, but I've always been unusually sensitive to loud noises - I've hated them since childhood. Can't stand the volume of music that many people seem to prefer, hate loud bangs, and don't like too many competing sounds to have to deal with. This is long standing.

I think my other symptoms probably just go with general slightly low thyroid function, and/or too much estrogen.

Do these details point to any different issues or interventions than you wise advisors have already been suggested?

aguilaroja

tara said:
...I wonder if they give clues to inform my approach.

Nails: My finger nails have for as long as i can remember been soft, ridged, and with white blotches...

Ears: My hearing is not particularly acute, but I've always been unusually sensitive to loud noises .. hate loud bangs, and don't like too many competing sounds ....This is long standing.

A couple of quick thoughts. I hope to review the longer thread in the next couple of days.

When I first read the vitamin D review articles (WDAR, earlier than Dr. Peat discussed them), I started supplementing vitamin D and within a day or two my fingernails became firm after being soft for years. Subsequently, many friends had the same gratifying result, even when taking vitamin D for completely different reasons.

If it has not been done recently, I would suggest checking vitamin D levels (esp. the 25-hyrodxy vitamin D blood test). If possible, also check the blood test for PTH, which Dr. Peat believes should be low in restorative states. Once the blood test is done, or if done recently, you might experiment with augmenting, whether by food source or supplement.

There are other restorative factors influencing the nails, but vitamin D has been surprisingly frequent IME.

The noise sensitivity issue discussion brings to mind the "highly sensitive" profile that presents when metabolism is low and the brain threshold for over-excitation is lower.

As metabolism improves, there is more tolerance for these disturbances, but it does not necessarily mean you will become a heavy metal rock band fan :^)

OP
T

tara

OK, I've been supplementing D occasionally - I could increase this, especially now we are heading into winter.

So the blood tests I should ask my doctor for are:
Vitamin D (preferably 25-hydroxy vitamin D)
Parathyroid hormone
Prolactin
(as well as lead, arsenic, and whatever other poisons we might've been exposed to recently)

aguilaroja

tara said:
OK, I've been supplementing D occasionally - I could increase this, especially now we are heading into winter.

So the blood tests I should ask my doctor for are:
Vitamin D (preferably 25-hydroxy vitamin D)
Parathyroid hormone
Prolactin
(as well as lead, arsenic, and whatever other poisons we might've been exposed to recently)

Yes, those tests would be useful, if the cost to you is low. For data's sake, if you are getting the labs soon, you might wait until after testing before bumping up the vitamin D3.

J

j.

The vitamin D is kinda tricky I think, there are some conditions that cause low vitamin D and increasing with supplements in this context might be harmful.

j. said:
The vitamin D is kinda tricky I think, there are some conditions that cause low vitamin D and increasing with supplements in this context might be harmful.

What kind of conditions cause low vit. D where it would be harmful to supplement?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals