Myofascial Meridians, Tensegrity, & Structural Health, A Possible Missing Link

CoolTweetPete

I use the term missing link loosely as Ray has addressed "tensegrity" in the past. This is a term Buckminster Fuller coined in relation to architecture, but this model is being related to the structure of our bodies in new science on the "Anatomy Trains". These can be defined as myofascial continuities that allow for most movement as we know it. The old model of muscles initiating motion appears to be incorrect. The Extracellular Matrix seems to communicate much faster than the nervous system, using vibration to do so.

The book Anatomy Trains by Thomas Myers outlines the new science and gives us a fresh look at structural integrity. Myers outlines a fascinating topic he calls "Microtensegrity" in the book and I think this may be a missing link for people, who are trying to regain their health.

I will quote him here for effect,

"It appears that cells assemble and stabilize themselves via tensional signaling, that they communicate with and move through the local surroundings via adhesive molecules and that the musculo-fascial-skeletal system as a whole functions largely as a tensegrity.. Structural intervention works through this system as a whole changing the mechanical relations among countless number of individual tensegrity-linked parts and linking our perception of our kinesthetic self to the dynamic interaction between cells and matrix" (Anatomy Trains, Myers, P. 58)

Basically he is saying that cells needs to communicate via these fascial lines and when posture has been compromised from a lifetime of sitting, the cells are less able to communicate. I think this is analogous to the laying down of degenerative collagen fibers Dr. Peat has discussed.

To make things even more profound, Dr. Myers described an additional microtensegrity effect he and his colleagues observed in experimentation,

"To investigate the possibility further, we developed a method to engineer cells shapes and function. They forced living cells to take on different shapes -- spherical or flattened, round or square by placing them on tiny adhesive 'islands' composed of extra-cellular matrix. Each adhesive island was surrounded by a Teflon-like surface to which cells could not adhere"

The results were mindblowing to me when I read them,

"By simply modifying the shape of the cell, they could switch cells among different genetic programs. Cells that were stretched and spread flat became more likely to divide, whereas rounded cells that were prevented from spreading activated a suicidal apoptic gene. When cells are neither too expanded or hemmed in, they spend their energy neither in dividing nor in dying. Instead, they differentiated themselves in a tissue-specific manner.. Thus mechanical information apparently combines with chemical signals to tell the cell and the cytoskeleton what to do." (Myers)

This makes me consider the plight of the desk job worker, who spends 8 hours a day at a chair. The superficial front line (shown below) is destined to suffer in such a situation. The seated posture will warp these lines as they relate to one another as the years pile on and postural instabilities will become unavoidable in old age.

I think this may be a missing link for some people. I self diagnosed with a condition Myers outlines in a chapter about the superficial back line a few months ago. He talks about how shortness in the front line results in the back line "creeping upward". I can say with a great deal of certainty that I had had this condition for going on 15 years without being aware.

Our bodies just adapt to their new position be it optimal or not. I had developed severe scar tissue around my cervical spine, which a masseuse made me aware of in 2015. Since working on these problems and getting some results, I have seen dramatic improvements in my health.

As many of you know I have had what feels like an infinite struggle trying to regain lost scalp hair. I think this truly was the missing link for initiating a profound change. I chuckled to myself the other day when my barber noticed that my hair growth pattern is changing. I attribute it to the fascial work I've done (soft tissue work and stretching).

I think this may be a great option for someone who thinks they may have a compromised fascial system. It's very enriching and satisfying to regain something I did not know I had lost.

Photos of the other meridians,

Superficial Back Line,

Lateral line,

The Spiral Line,

The Arm Lines,

The Functional Lines,

The Deep Front Line,

Attachments

• DUKzKlmV4AANG2C.jpg
    DUKzKlmV4AANG2C.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 35

Ingenol

Awesome! What specifically are you doing in terms of the facial work and what do you recommend to people starting on a similar journey?

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

I have all sorts of massage tools for working out stiffened tissue, but the most effective ones are electronic. There are several brands of "massage wands" available for sale on Amazon.

Using such devices, foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and targeted stretching for joints that have lost range of motion is a good start. The hips and shoulders are usually prime targets for such work because of the heavy workload they experience in a lifetime. Typically knee problems can be traced to in instability in the nearest neighboring joint i.e. the ankle or the hip. Similarly, shoulder problems can be linked to the cervical or thoracic spine (or both) being immobile.

Such work will only compliment any traditional "exercise" someone chooses to engage it. It can be done while standing in front of the TV if one wishes. :D

L

lollipop

@CoolTweetPete this is fascinating! Thank you for sharing. I had read in the past people alluding to this but never this clear of a write up. The speed of signals and messages across the body are too fast for the nervous system to relay. There had to be something else at play in this all body communication.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

@CoolTweetPete this is fascinating! Thank you for sharing. I had read in the past people alluding to this but never this clear of a write up. The speed of signals and messages across the body are too fast for the nervous system to relay. There had to be something else at play in this all body communication.

Indeed! That was a fascinating revelation. Myers actually listed the speed of the nervous system vs. the tensile communication of the ECM and it’s not even close.

I’ll post the excerpt when I get home. :)

Ingenol

Interesting--do you have any favorite thoracic mobility stretches/exercises? That's definitely one of my weak points so I bend over foam rollers and do some twisting and other work for that but haven't succeeded in seeing a lot of improvement yet.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Interesting--do you have any favorite thoracic mobility stretches/exercises? That's definitely one of my weak points so I bend over foam rollers and do some twisting and other work for that but haven't succeeded in seeing a lot of improvement yet.

The thoracic spine is one of the more complex systems due to the range of motion of the shoulders coupled with the powerful system at work within the rib cage. The spiral line creates an incredible range of motion in children.

Alas, these gifts are often lost because of poor posture for twelve to twenty years of sitting in desks at school, writing and doing everything skilled with one arm, and just general lack of enough movement throughout each day. I’ve seen estimates that about 5 miles a day of walking was something our ancestors did. I’d be surprised if most people walk one. These things are all contributing to pathology.

That said, most people probably need to elongate their back, pectoral, and lateral muscles to reap the benefits of thoracic mobility (which is a motion completely independent from shoulder motion, but you couldn’t tell this looking at most desk workers).

Standing in a door frame, holding onto the edge with one or both (or both) arms and taking step forward is a good way to stretch the pectoral muscles.

Hanging from a pull up bar (you don’t have to pull yourself up at all, just practice hanging by your hands) is a great way to stretch the lats and back muscles.

If all else fails, someone who is well trained in functional movement should be able to assess some of these things with some simple range of motion tests.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Related note regarding hair-loss:

I began investigating this topic in great depth after seeing a picture of the circulatory map of the head and scalp. As can be seen below, the structures delivering blood to the scalp run through the front of the neck and face. This made it very clear to me that impingements of this blood flow from postural distortion (neck against chest rather than looking up, the cell phone viewing posture) could contribute to the pathology of hair-loss.

Even inferior to that, some of these structures run through the shoulders. Again, restrictions of tissues in these areas could be antagonizing blood flow.

Making my neck arms and shoulders more mobile has seemingly helped my hair quality as strange as that sounds.

Last edited:

tonto

@CoolTweetPete

Good stuff thanks for bringing up. The old "bone setters" in the osteopathic profession knew this and the fascia that you talk about is the cornerstone of osteopathic work. From the old osteopathic literature from over 100 years ago discussing fascia:

- “I know of no part of the body that equals the fascia as a hunting ground.

- “All… nerves go to and terminate in that great system, the fascia.

- “This connecting substance must be free at all parts to receive and discharge all fluids, and use them in sustaining animal life, and eject all impurities, that health may not be impaired by dead and poisonous fluids.

- “By its action we live and by its failure we die.”

- “The soul of man, with all the streams of pure living water, seems to dwell in the fascia of his body.

Source: Fascia

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

@CoolTweetPete

Good stuff thanks for bringing up. The old "bone setters" in the osteopathic profession knew this and the fascia that you talk about is the cornerstone of osteopathic work. From the old osteopathic literature from over 100 years ago discussing fascia:

- “This connecting substance must be free at all parts to receive and discharge all fluids, and use them in sustaining animal life, and eject all impurities, that health may not be impaired by dead and poisonous fluids.

- “The soul of man, with all the streams of pure living water, seems to dwell in the fascia of his body.

Those are great quotes. I love the one regarding the flow of cellular waste. It only makes sense that stiff, fibrotic pockets of collagen would limit lymphatic flow to different areas of the body.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Regarding the ECM’s speed of impulse transmission:

“The timing of the fascial system is interesting in that it has two rhythms.. On the one hand, the play of tension and compression communicates around the body as a ‘vibration’ traveling at the speed of sound. This is roughly equivalent to 720mph (1100 kph), which is more than three times faster than the nervous system.” (Myers, Anatomy Trains P. 33)

Fractality

Keep the info coming; I just purchased Thomas Hanna's "Somatics" book which is echos with this topic.

Evgenius

Could you elaborate more on the massage wand, you just massage the areas that are tense ?

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Could you elaborate more on the massage wand, you just massage the areas that are tense ?

Something like that. I have assorted devices that all serve different purposes. Some would be more necessary for some than others. For example, a foam roller pinned against the floor can deliver very broad pressure, capable of more global tissue loosening.

However, very deranged tissue can lead to trigger points, which is what a masseuse might call a “knot”. I think these areas are a combination of distorted patterning and in some cases, fibrosis from allowing that distortion to persist for a very long period of time. These fibrotic areas often make cracking and popping sounds when pressed on.

That said, I think it’s good to get massages. The therapist can often point out the spots that need the most work. Unfortunately that can be expensive, so in lieu of that devices such as this one can be useful,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EFrIBb4HFY11V

These can be used to self administer deep tissue release around most of the body. More importantly, it can be used to locate potential trigger points.

Once located the idea is to apply steady pressure to areas that invoke pain when given such pressure. Through autogenic inhibition, the tissue should relax. This would be done regulary for a variable amount of time depending on how degenerated the tissue had become. Over time and with improved usage patterns, the body should be able to replace fibrotic tissue with more arranged fascia.

Stretching in combination with such soft tissue work will work to create space around the joints and improve their range of motion. If potentially problematic areas are systemically addressed, the structure can be dramatically changed for the betterment of its function as a unit.

Unfortunately for some this may take years depending on the severity of the degradation and other health variables. I think getting energy metabolism working is a higher order priority, but if Dr. Peat believes the interplay of structure and energy is essential to health, maintaining the mechanical integrity of the body’s kinetic systems might be very important.

Everything is truly connected within us.

Motif

Good thread! I will work now more on that. My hip / back / shoulder / neck tensions are extremely annoying and maybe this is really more connected to my many symptoms than I thought.

L

lollipop

@CoolTweetPete

Fascinating quotes - the last two are striking. “Soul of man” - would love to know this definition - could be an enlightening conversation combined with and around the subject of fascia.

L

lollipop

Regarding the ECM’s speed of impulse transmission:

“The timing of the fascial system is interesting in that it has two rhythms.. On the one hand, the play of tension and compression communicates around the body as a ‘vibration’ traveling at the speed of sound. This is roughly equivalent to 720mph (1100 kph), which is more than three times faster than the nervous system.” (Myers, Anatomy Trains P. 33)
Yes. Cool. Extremely explanatory about near intstant communication.

Diokine

Last edited:
OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Biiiiiiiiiig $$

Emission of Biophotons and Adjustable Sounds by the Fascial System: Review and Reflections for Manual Therapy
"The chromosome behaves like a laser emitter, like a modeled structure to emit quantum images expressed as photons, which will then be organized into morphogenetic information"
:feelsgoodman

Soliton

"Solitons may occur in proteins[13] and DNA.[14]Solitons are related to the low-frequency collective motion in proteins and DNA.[15]"

Solitons may also occur in fascia

Wow. Thanks for that. I had no idea there was so much research on the mechanism of cellular vibration. Low frequency collective motion implying our bodies are a constant symphony of vibration. Sounds like something a person with a high metabolic rate would do better. :blush:

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Another fascinating note about a crucially important group of muscles from this text:

"The deepest layers of the superficial back line, the suboccipitals are crucial to opening up the entire SBL.. The high number of stretch receptors in these tissues and their essential link from the eye movements to coordination of the rest of the back musculature ensure their central role. These muscles have been shown to have 36 muscle spindles per gram of tissue; the gluteus maximus by contrast has only 0.7 spindles per gram." (Myers P. 88)

This places them amongst the most dense muscles in the body. These suboccipital muscles respond to eye movement. Even with the eyes closed you can feel the linkage by putting your hands up on either side of your head with your thumbs just under the back of the skull. If you gently work your fingers under the cranial ridge and move your eyes, you will feel this deep connection between the spine and the skull.

Disruption of the functional movement in these muscles would likely cause issues with vision and coordination. "The rest of the spinal muscles 'listen' to these suboccipitals and tend to organize by following their lead" (P. 88).

This would seem to implicate dysfunction of these muscles as possibly initiative of other dysfunctions of tissues along the back of the body (posterior shoulders, rib cage, hips, knees, ankle, plantar fascia, etc.).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals