Unable to sleep, exhausted all day/everyday - developing dark circles under eyes. Getting desperate.

OP
D
Back with another update: This past week has been the first week of the Vitamin D/B100 supplement procedure per Dr. Stasha Gominak. She notes that it takes ~3 months of this to get the microbiome back to normal. But so far, my sleep has been horrible. I feel like I've taken a step backwards. I've experienced two days of exhaustion so crippling, I was not able to work. And today is feeling almost as bad.

I did try a couple other things this week. I tried new sheets (went from 100% cotton to 100% linen, even tried sleeping on the bare mattress with no sheets) and I tried new pillows (soft pillows and firm pillows). None of this had any discernable impact on sleep quality. I took two days this week to get some extra sunlight (2 hours outside instead of my usual 1 hour); this also had no discernable impact on sleep quality, but I plan on continuing to keep this up going forward.

I added a few more items to the bottom of the list that I plan on testing. I don't know what my next course of action is yet, I'll be sure to reply with whatever I do next.
---

Sleep Better To-Do List:​

Green = positive impact
Yellow = ongoing testing
Red = no impact or made sleep worse
Black = not tested yet

- Check for parasites/dysbiotic bacteria via GI-MAP stool test (@chrstn4o)
- Liver flushes: Andrea Moritz protocol (@chrstn4o)
- Explore grounding your bed (@StephanF)
- Do what humans have done for centuries until "modern" quick rinseoff showering became a trend---a hot bath. Adding Epsom salts (magnesium) and baking soda will be absorbed thru your largest organ the skin. (@akgrrrl AND @Kocky777)
- Shoot for more than an hour of sunlight per day. Explore grounding during the day for better sleep. (@Sphagnum)
- Explore excessive EMF's - going to turn off my WIFI router at night and stop using apple ear pods during the day. (@Layne AND @Sphagnum)
- Experiment.. sleep in a different room for a few days, see if that does anything. You may have associated "going to sleep" as a stressful situation. (@HeyThere AND @Bozidar)
- Add more salt to food and a small pinch to the milk/juices you're drinking. If you take it too far, you may end up with a kind of high energy insomnia; be prepared to drink a bit of water before you sleep if that happens. (@ThinPicking)

- Try L-Ornithine to get the alcohol/ammonia out of his system, excellent amino acid for this. Also Taurine to lower Glutamate levels in the brain.(@HeyThere)
- Cyproheptadine - it has a calming effect so maybe it could solve his problem in two ways - 1st that cypro makes better sleep in general, and 2nd that he will not be stressed while not being able to sleep. Go slow with Cypro...one drop does it for me. (@Mathgirl AND @wzuo AND @Mathgirl)
- Look into phosphatidylserine (@Kocky777)
- I sleep on the couch in the living room because "bed in bedroom" is too "OK NOW YOU SLEEP" for me and my mind starts over-thinking. I get it. The couch is unconventional so it feels like "in a hotel". (@HeyThere)
- So, in my own Insomnia thread, @Peatful gave me the very effective advice to eat "1 pound of sugar in three days". I ate approximately 200 grams of honey and tonight I slept REALLY WELL and was also able to sleep WITHIN A FEW MINUTES. (@Kocky777)
- One thing I meant to put in my original reply in regards to the hotel thing, is that you may just need a new mattress. Different sheets as well. Different pillows. (@Sphagnum AND @HeyThere)
- B vitamins (Via Dr. Stasha Gominak Neurologist research) (@Mathgirl)
- Ice cream at night (Ray Peat), and Tocovit topically. (Idealabs via Haidut) (@Mathgirl)
- CBD Gummies (@frannybananny AND @HeyThere)
- Taurine is great, in fact I take magnesium taurate almost every night, milk thistle seems to help, 2 drops of Progest-E will really knock me out (@frannybananny)
- Incline Bed Therapy
- Iron supplementation
- mouth taping (I've tried this in the past, but will give it another go)
- Iodine supplementation (I don't consume salt with iodine, could I be deficient?)
- magnesium in the morning. magnesium BHB.
- nadh (PANMOL trademark). Very high dose. and sam-e [strongly advised to take w/ b vitamin complex]
- yohimbe bark powder to treat possible sleep apnea.
- Try taking eggs and beef out of my diet for a few days (these have been staples in my diet since my sleep issues began years ago, possibly related?)
- Test for mold exposure
- Get an air filter in the room

HeyThere

Back with another update: This past week has been the first week of the Vitamin D/B100 supplement procedure per Dr. Stasha Gominak. She notes that it takes ~3 months of this to get the microbiome back to normal. But so far, my sleep has been horrible. I feel like I've taken a step backwards. I've experienced two days of exhaustion so crippling, I was not able to work. And today is feeling almost as bad.

I did try a couple other things this week. I tried new sheets (went from 100% cotton to 100% linen, even tried sleeping on the bare mattress with no sheets) and I tried new pillows (soft pillows and firm pillows). None of this had any discernable impact on sleep quality. I took two days this week to get some extra sunlight (2 hours outside instead of my usual 1 hour); this also had no discernable impact on sleep quality, but I plan on continuing to keep this up going forward.

I added a few more items to the bottom of the list that I plan on testing. I don't know what my next course of action is yet, I'll be sure to reply with whatever I do next.
---

Green = positive impact
Yellow = ongoing testing
Black = not tested yet

- Do what humans have done for centuries until "modern" quick rinseoff showering became a trend---a hot bath. Adding Epsom salts (magnesium) and baking soda will be absorbed thru your largest organ the skin. (@akgrrrl AND @Kocky777)
- Shoot for more than an hour of sunlight per day. Explore grounding during the day for better sleep. (@Sphagnum)
- Explore excessive EMF's - going to turn off my WIFI router at night and stop using apple ear pods during the day. (@Layne AND @Sphagnum)
- Experiment.. sleep in a different room for a few days, see if that does anything. You may have associated "going to sleep" as a stressful situation. (@HeyThere AND @Bozidar)
- Add more salt to food and a small pinch to the milk/juices you're drinking. If you take it too far, you may end up with a kind of high energy insomnia; be prepared to drink a bit of water before you sleep if that happens. (@ThinPicking)

- Try L-Ornithine to get the alcohol/ammonia out of his system, excellent amino acid for this. Also Taurine to lower Glutamate levels in the brain.(@HeyThere)
- Cyproheptadine - it has a calming effect so maybe it could solve his problem in two ways - 1st that cypro makes better sleep in general, and 2nd that he will not be stressed while not being able to sleep. Go slow with Cypro...one drop does it for me. (@Mathgirl AND @wzuo AND @Mathgirl)
- I sleep on the couch in the living room because "bed in bedroom" is too "OK NOW YOU SLEEP" for me and my mind starts over-thinking. I get it. The couch is unconventional so it feels like "in a hotel". (@HeyThere)
- So, in my own Insomnia thread, @Peatful gave me the very effective advice to eat "1 pound of sugar in three days". I ate approximately 200 grams of honey and tonight I slept REALLY WELL and was also able to sleep WITHIN A FEW MINUTES. (@Kocky777)
- One thing I meant to put in my original reply in regards to the hotel thing, is that you may just need a new mattress. Different sheets as well. Different pillows. (@Sphagnum AND @HeyThere)
- Ice cream at night (Ray Peat), and Tocovit topically. (Idealabs via Haidut) (@Mathgirl)
- Taurine is great, in fact I take magnesium taurate almost every night, milk thistle seems to help, 2 drops of Progest-E will really knock me out (@frannybananny)
- Incline Bed Therapy
- Iron supplementation
- Iodine supplementation (I don't consume salt with iodine, could I be deficient?)
- nadh (PANMOL trademark). Very high dose. and sam-e [strongly advised to take w/ b vitamin complex]
- Try taking eggs and beef out of my diet for a few days (these have been staples in my diet since my sleep issues began years ago, possibly related?)
- Test for mold exposure

I may say something unpopular right now, but...

"- Explore excessive EMF's - going to turn off my WIFI router at night and stop using apple ear pods during the day. (@Layne AND @Sphagnum)"

Could this be placebo? Meaning, if we know there is something near us that can contact us at any moment, or knowing we could pick it up to check on something, or just engage in frivolously, our mind is connected to it vs. if the phone or iPad or whatever is out of reach and unavailable and "not an issue for you to think about". It's like being on vacation: you are away from the every day annoyances and can put it "out of mind".

OP
D
I may say something unpopular right now, but...

"- Explore excessive EMF's - going to turn off my WIFI router at night and stop using apple ear pods during the day. (@Layne AND @Sphagnum)"

Could this be placebo? Meaning, if we know there is something near us that can contact us at any moment, or knowing we could pick it up to check on something, or just engage in frivolously, our mind is connected to it vs. if the phone or iPad or whatever is out of reach and unavailable and "not an issue for you to think about". It's like being on vacation: you are away from the every day annoyances and can put it "out of mind".
I am reminded of the old Steven Wright joke: "I'm addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn't matter."

It could be placebo. But I can't think of a scenario where turning off the router and wearing wired headphones would harm my sleep, so I intend to continue avoiding EMF regardless. I am in such a bad way with this insomnia, I need to stack every single little possible advantage in my favor that I can get, whether it's real or not.

akgrrrl

Wonderful to see your list of member suggests.
Hope you have access to a deep tub, make it hot and luxurious. Many cultures made it plain that bathing is intended to be therapeutic. It open bloodvessels wide and So O2 and NO are prolific, absorption thru the skin and scalp opportunity. Soak in a soup of salts, and therapeutic botanical. Breathe deeply and activate all your personal sleep hygiene protocols. Sending you healing and zzzzzz thru the aether.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I added a grounded pillow which I put under my pillow case. I must say my dreams are much more vivid. Otherwise, sleep quality is similar but maybe a bit better. I also have the ‘Acu-Vac’ coil at my head board. This definitely makes me sleep deeper. In the past I had it in my pillow case, so it would be where my neck would be, then in the morning I had trouble waking up and getting out of bed. As I mentioned earlier, I have a 9V battery with the positive pole to the grounding sheet and the metal mesh under my mattress, the negative pole goes to the ground plug in the outlet.

Layne

I can't think of a scenario where turning off the router and wearing wired headphones would harm my sleep, so I intend to continue avoiding EMF regardless. I am in such a bad way with this insomnia, I need to stack every single little possible advantage in my favor that I can get, whether it's real or not.
Hey @DrivesOldTruck -- A few years ago, the Ashland, OR municipal electric company went around installing smart meters on people's houses without telling them about it. Many residents subsequently started experiencing a whole host of health issues that befuddled them and their doctors.

It was eventually discovered they had these "smart" meters on their homes, and many residents had them removed and replaced by the older analog meters. Many of their "mysterious" illnesses disappeared once the smart meters were gone.

Is this a scientific study? No, but in my mind, it speaks more poweruflly than a "scientific study", which is often manipuled by very powerful politcal and financial interests.

One guy on a tinnitus forum swore that he got his tinnitus from a new pickup truck he had bought, that had all the lastest technological gizmos, many of them giving off high amounts of EMFs, and other wireless radiation. Smart meters are also widely reported to cause tinnitus, primarily because it affects the auricular lobes of the brain. In other words, brain damage.

Last edited:

BobbyJackson

Has anyone mentioned the obvious? OP sleeps well in hotels but not his own bed? Does this extend to almost any bed besides his own bed? Also such a sudden issue sleeping.

Sounds like bed bugs. They can cause havoc to people who are sensitive to them. Haven’t read the whole thread but has anyone brought up bed bugs yet? I’ve seen EMF and all that but OPs sudden descent into this issue does not suggest EMF or mold or something. Those things take ages to build up and if OP was sensitive they’d have caused major issues already, not just suddenly.

I’ve heard stories of people hallucinating and completely losing the plot from bed bugs that they were unaware of.

BobbyJackson

Any idea how/why? I could understand if it was the constant irritation.
Some people just react particularly badly to the bites of bed bugs I believe. Most people will have some issues sleeping but some people can have inflammatory response to their bites and start hallucinating and having serious insomnia etc.

It’s easy to know though, just check the bed for signs of them.

HeyThere

Hey @DrivesOldTruck -- A few years ago, the Ashland, OR municipal electric company went around installing smart meters on people's houses without telling them about it. Many residents subsequently started experiencing a whole host of health issues that befuddled them and their doctors.

It was eventually discovered they had these "smart" meters on their homes, and many residents had them removed and replaced by the older analog meters. Many of their "mysterious" illnesses disappeared once the smart meters were gone.

Is this a scientific study? No, but in my mind, it speaks more poweruflly than a "scientific study", which is often manipuled by very powerful politcal and financial interests.

One guy on a tinnitus forum swore that he got his tinnitus from a new pickup truck he had bought, that had all the lastest technological gizmos, many of them giving off high amounts of EMFs, and other wireless radiation. Smart meters are also widely reported to cause tinnitus, primarily because it affects the auricular lobes of the brain. In other words, brain damage.

What makes the home smart meters worse is that they form a whole grid that you are in the middle of. :mad:

OP
D
I purchased an air filter yesterday. I'm going to run it in my studio for the next few days and see if there's any improvement in my sleep quality.

Hope you have access to a deep tub, make it hot and luxurious.
Definitely high on my list!
I added a grounded pillow which I put under my pillow case.
I just ordered a grounded pillow case on Amazon. The full-sized grounding mats for the entire bed are expensive, but I may look into grabbing one if the grounded pillow improves my sleep.
This is very interesting. I've had sleep issues for years now, though as I note, this is the worst it's ever been. I've lived in two different apartments over the past 7 years (northern USA and southern USA), and had sleep issues at both. So I'm not entirely sure if my immediate environment is the issue.
OP sleeps well in hotels but not his own bed? Does this extend to almost any bed besides his own bed? Also such a sudden issue sleeping.
This is not a sudden issue, but has plagued me for years. The issue has just begun to get very severe recently. It's been a year since my last stay in a hotel, I may see if I can gather enough money for a hotel stay soon and test if this is still the case. When I try sleeping on the floor, or sleeping in a sleeping bag, or sleeping in my couch, there's no difference in sleep quality. I'll give my mattress another check for bed bugs, but I haven't found any in the past.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I just ordered a grounded pillow case on Amazon. The full-sized grounding mats for the entire bed are expensive, but I may look into grabbing one if the grounded pillow improves my sleep.

Full grounded sheets may not be the best choice. You only need to have one point of contact with ground to be ‘grounded’. A full sheet may shorten out bio electric potentials in your body. I tried the full sheet and abandoned it. But instead, I have an aluminum fly screen under my mattress that is tied into the ground. And then I have a 9V battery connected between the ground of the outlet (negative pole) and the screen & pillow case (positive pole). The fly screen can be purchased from Home Depot. 9V battery clips can be ordered from Amazon. Then you need to crimp this all together. I use AMP crimps that allow me to disconnect the battery and reconnect the ‘normal’ ground.

OP
D
Back with an update: I've run the air filter in my studio for a few days now. I had two days in a row where I felt pretty awake, alert, and energized during the day. So, I'm putting this down as having a positive impact on my sleep and keeping it in my routine along with the EMF avoidance.

My next experiment will be using a grounded pillow case for a few nights. Will report back with results!
-------------------------------------------

Green = positive impact
Yellow = ongoing testing
Black = not tested yet

- Incline Bed Therapy
- Iron supplementation
- Test for mold exposure
- Grounded pillow cover (@StephanF)
- High-dose Niacinamide? High Dose Niacinamide Experiment (@Mathgirl)

OP
D
Back with an update: I slept on the grounded pillow case for a few nights but my sleep quality declined significantly. Been completely exhausted the last two days. I'll be discontinuing use of the grounded pillow case going forward.

My next experiment is going to be supplementing Iron for a couple days. After that, my plan is to try the liver flushes.

-------------------------------------------

Green = positive impact
Yellow = ongoing testing
Black = not tested yet

- Incline Bed Therapy
- Iron supplementation
- Test for mold exposure
- Grounded pillow cover (@StephanF)
- High-dose Niacinamide? High Dose Niacinamide Experiment (@Mathgirl)

HeyThere

Be very careful with Iron. Would do better eating liver for iron than take supps.

webbt

I've found large doses of live brewers yeast and also yohimbe bark to be good for energy while dealing with insomnia. Also are you aware of the research on CO2 and sleep? A CO2 meter can be used to ensure it isn't building up.

OP
D
Be very careful with Iron. Would do better eating liver for iron than take supps.
I already eat liver once per week and didn't want to over-consume it. Iron supplementation will only be for 2-3 days though.
I've found large doses of live brewers yeast and also yohimbe bark to be good for energy while dealing with insomnia. Also are you aware of the research on CO2 and sleep? A CO2 meter can be used to ensure it isn't building up.
Can you share any literature on CO2 and sleep? I'll look into the CO2 meter. Is the live brewers yeast taken together with the yohimbe bark, or are these two separate things to take?

OP
D
Back with an update: I slept on the grounded pillow case for a few nights but my sleep quality declined significantly. Been completely exhausted the last two days. I'll be discontinuing use of the grounded pillow case going forward.

My next experiment is going to be supplementing Iron for a couple days. After that, my plan is to try the liver flushes.
I decided to discontinue the Iron supplement after the first day. I didn't feel any effect and don't feel comfortable taking it.

I've ordered Andreas Moritz' book, "The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush". Planning on reading through it ASAP so I can get started on the protocol sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I'll look into knocking some other items off the to-do list and will update as I go.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals