Poor Sleep Quality - Vivid Dreaming

DannyIrons™

Ever since I was a young child, I have always struggled to get up in the morning, and have had dark or puffy eyes. I just used to think this was normal and that most people are like this. But the last 8 years or so, I realised that my sleep quality is much worse than the average person, and it is has affected my education, work-life, social life and general well being.

I feel I have tried so many things, and I just can't seem to find an answer, or anything that improves my sleep. I would love just one night of non-vivid but restful sleep, I would give anything for it.

Any supplement suggested before bed never seems to work, and usually makes it a little worse. I think the most strange thing about this, is that it has been every single night since childhood, I never have a day here or there where I feel well rested, never.

I don't suffer with insomnia, but I don't know if it because I am so tired from the night before, I fall asleep quickly. Many times at work and previous workplaces, I have had to sit in the toilet to catch 5 minutes of sleep, I know this sounds ridiculous, but it is really getting out of hand. Any idea of what may be causing this?

biffbelvin

Do you find yourself feeling relatively short of breath upon waking? If so, it's most likely sleep apnea, or some issue with respiration during sleep.

Typical Risk factors include: smoking, obesity, sedentary lifestyle. As a thin ex-smoker I would add forward head posture to that list; as well as eating food too close to bedtime and drinking alcohol.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

Do you find yourself feeling relatively short of breath upon waking? If so, it's most likely sleep apnea, or some issue with respiration during sleep.

Typical Risk factors include: smoking, obesity, sedentary lifestyle. As a thin ex-smoker I would add forward head posture to that list; as well as eating food too close to bedtime and drinking alcohol.

I practice Buteyko, and I have had history of poor respiration during sleep. I do think calm breathing is fundamental to good sleep quality, but I just don't think it's this in my case. I know people who breathe much heavier than me during sleep, but it is not affecting their life on the level it is mine.

Lutzzy

My Mom would come to my house and we would cook things she would not cook just for herself, like a pot of collard greens and she would have night mares. Look at my other posts on citrate of magnesium and epsom salt baths and sleep. I like Jack Kruse's thinking on the blue light and good sleep with yellow lenses, getting your melatonin back in shape. you did not mention if diet or occupation might be a problem...but since childhood makes me think diet.....JFK could take a 15 minute nap during a meeting at the White House...Did not mention if you ever had chiropractor adjustment of your neck as Dr Bergman says C3,C4, C5 keeps you alive...if I lived in California I would be at his office. watch him on youtube, he is hilariously funny and so knowledgeable.

sladerunner69

Ever since I was a young child, I have always struggled to get up in the morning, and have had dark or puffy eyes. I just used to think this was normal and that most people are like this. But the last 8 years or so, I realised that my sleep quality is much worse than the average person, and it is has affected my education, work-life, social life and general well being.

I feel I have tried so many things, and I just can't seem to find an answer, or anything that improves my sleep. I would love just one night of non-vivid but restful sleep, I would give anything for it.

Any supplement suggested before bed never seems to work, and usually makes it a little worse. I think the most strange thing about this, is that it has been every single night since childhood, I never have a day here or there where I feel well rested, never.

I don't suffer with insomnia, but I don't know if it because I am so tired from the night before, I fall asleep quickly. Many times at work and previous workplaces, I have had to sit in the toilet to catch 5 minutes of sleep, I know this sounds ridiculous, but it is really getting out of hand. Any idea of what may be causing this?

I experience this issue as well, I often times absolutely need sleep in such a way that I will have to scrounge out a nap in the back room or in my car during lunch. This is even the case after I have gotten a full 6-7 hours sleep. I am usually unable to get more sleep than this, but when I do manage 8 hours of sleep I notice I do feel more energetic during the day (shocking, I know) but still feel like taking a map at mid day lull.

I suspect this may largely be do to my habit of not falling asleep until after midnight. I have heard other laud the benefits of transitioning to an earlier sleep schedule, which has been sort of traditional wisdom of the older generations. When I sleep from 4am-12pm, for instance, it isn't very refreshing at all. When I manage to fall asleep at 12pm and wake up at 7 or 8am, I feel much better. I think if I can start sleeping at 11pm than I will be in even better shape, as this coincides more closely with circadian rhythms. Studies have indicated the most important sleep is that which is acquired prior to 12am, according to a book of mine called "Body By Science".

lampofred

Have you tried high dose gelatin? That helps a lot with my sleep quality.