Where Does This Leave Me?

flyingpotatoes

Been a fan of Peat for a while now, but unfortunately the advice around here has not been able to cure me of my main ailments yet.

About me, I am a 23 year old male. I tend to have problems gaining weight on normal amounts of calories. Right now I am eating 3k per day and seeing a downward trend (only exercising 3-4 times per week for ~45 minutes).

I have tried immersing myself fully in Peat earlier and although I was able to see improvements, there seems to still be something major missing.

I have very deep set, dark purple circles under my eyes. Additionally, I have very very bloodshot eyes. Like veins all throughout the white sclera. It doesn't change much with sleep. I usually sleep 7-9 hours.

My diet right now is lots of grass-fed milk and cheese and yogurt and fruit. I get well over 100% of RDA for most vitamins and minerals (on average 300-400% but some are higher and some are below 100%).

Ever since I got really sick I have developed a more gaunt face and stored more fat in my legs/thighs etc. I'm guessing it's related to too much estrogen. I always know when my health is a its worst because the dark circles gets darker and my fat storage shifts more towards my lower body. Along with this I am constantly hungry but that's probably related to a previous athletic eating disorder I had (anorexia athletica).

I have tried things like eating large amounts of calories (6k+ per day) which can be helpful but is a pain in the butt.

I've had some interesting health stories in the past. Actually one of my most successful health escapades was giving in and eating everything and anything in site. I must have gained 20lbs in 4-5 days eating 13-15,000 calories per day and sleeping 12-14 hours per day... oh man I don't even want to think about the PUFA count. I gained a ton of muscle but I doubt that is the path the health. My guess is that it was probably more or less the shutting down of the stress hormones being the biggest benefit and if I had gone for a lot longer not sure how beneficial it would have been. But it was truly amazing how my health changed. Interestingly I could keep the weight on easier with lower calories after. The dark circles faded, I felt full, and my personality came out. I don't think that kind of caloric density is possible with healthy foods (I've tried Peat style). I should note I also had no responsibilities at the time as well so it was not a stressful time psychologically but it is an interesting anecdote.

I've tried so many things over the years, Paleo, Peat, Matt Stone, Elimination Diets, etc.

Yet I still haven't been able to solve so much.

Anyone out there dealing with similar problems? I'd love to hear your experiences.

Last edited:
M

marikay

I'm not a 23 year old male, but I recognize some of your problems. Here's what I would do:

1. eat more sugar (that will go a long way to getting rid of the dark circles).

2. dump the yogurt (lactic acid is a big problem for over-exercisers - I used to be one) ice cream is better

3. stop exercising entirely until you have all the health problems solved. after that only exercise if you have too much energy to sit still.

you're still young and should pop out of the bad place pretty quickly once it happens. good luck

thegiantess

I feel ya on the feeling awesome when you can consume enough calories, but doing so with so many limitations on diet becomes annoying and difficult. As you already know, you probably need more than 3k calories a day. You're a young male, for goodness sake, eat! I have posted on this forum for advice on getting more calories in with very very limited time and advice was almost always sugar. I eat low fat as well so my restrictions are even greater. I have found dates to be the single best thing for me. They're high calorie and can be consumed quickly and effortlessly. White rice with some butter and salt, potatoes with salt w coconut oil, oj... That stuff is so high in calories and it goes down easily.

Maybe do some blood work instead of just guessing you have an estrogen issue. A hormone panel and a complete blood count would be a good place to start.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals