Cilantro for Iron Chelation

natedawggh

So, even though I've had a huge success with my health I have been thinking that I have iron overload and am just maintaining my health in spite of it (I have not been able to get a doctor to test iron, even though I had thyroid tumors). I am suspicious of this because if I stop any of the protocols I've developed then conditions start to return or regress. I have lost weight, no longer have insomnia, my hair has grown back (and I even think some gray has faded...), my tumors have shrunk and my triglycerides are down, There is only one symptom that continues to plague me, which is a small lesion on my tongue that is white with candida (though since I have to continue taking supplements and thyroid, I'd consider them to all just be suppressed rather than cured). I have never been able to get this lesion to go away and I am still about 20 lbs from being skinny again, and all the doctors I've gone to have dismissed it, even though it is obviously related to whatever is going on in my body.

I decided to try the cilantro Iron chelation and I think it's done some work. Many sites on the web advocate using cilantro with chlorella, but you should not do this as chlorella is high in iron and will add iron to your body instead of taking it away. Cilantro is obviously cheap, and apparently chelates heavy metals very well. About six years ago I was very skinny from using Resveratrol (before I knew how toxic it is), but Reseveratrol apparently also chelates Iron very well (before you think you will use Resveratrol even though it's toxic... it also made me fat later because it increases cortisol greatly. So don't use it). I think I am subscribing to the idea that Iron is ultimately the cause of unhealthy weight gain, directly through suppression of mitochondrial respiration but also indirectly by feeding bacteria and fungus. Just like exercise, amino acids can aid in the management weight but that doesn't mean they remove the cause, and I think the cause is excess Iron, especially when one is physically active and does not see a reduction in body fat.

Has anyone else used cilantro to chelate Iron and/or seen results from doing so? I saw a post in another forum of a woman who had a very high ferritin measurement around something like 1500 and within two weeks using cilantro every day brought it all the way down into the low 400's. Cilantro is praised among the hemochromatosis community. I also supplement with copper and zinc and eat foods like shrimp which are high in minerals just in case the cilantro might chelate those as well, and I would advise anyone attempting this to make sure you are getting a generous supply of the good minerals in tandem with cilantro chelation.

I've also tried some other things to chelate Iron. Turmeric specifically, and I can tell you it does increase estrogen, or some other stress hormones and probably shouldn't use it for chelation purposes. I have gotten my body into such a calm, healthful feeling state most of the time that I am now very sensitive to when something is destructive rather than healthful, and I felt very agitated and a bit cold when using Turmeric (and Resveratrol made me want to kill somebody). I don't at all get that with cilantro.

Peata

Hi Nate, I think I read somewhere that you ate cilantro as the main green in your salad, but can you elaborate on how much cilantro you ate each day?

honeybee

natedawggh said:
So, even though I've had a huge success with my health I have been thinking that I have iron overload and am just maintaining my health in spite of it (I have not been able to get a doctor to test iron, even though I had thyroid tumors). I am suspicious of this because if I stop any of the protocols I've developed then conditions start to return or regress. I have lost weight, no longer have insomnia, my hair has grown back (and I even think some gray has faded...), my tumors have shrunk and my triglycerides are down, There is only one symptom that continues to plague me, which is a small lesion on my tongue that is white with candida (though since I have to continue taking supplements and thyroid, I'd consider them to all just be suppressed rather than cured). I have never been able to get this lesion to go away and I am still about 20 lbs from being skinny again, and all the doctors I've gone to have dismissed it, even though it is obviously related to whatever is going on in my body.

I decided to try the cilantro Iron chelation and I think it's done some work. Many sites on the web advocate using cilantro with chlorella, but you should not do this as chlorella is high in iron and will add iron to your body instead of taking it away. Cilantro is obviously cheap, and apparently chelates heavy metals very well. About six years ago I was very skinny from using Resveratrol (before I knew how toxic it is), but Reseveratrol apparently also chelates Iron very well (before you think you will use Resveratrol even though it's toxic... it also made me fat later because it increases cortisol greatly. So don't use it). I think I am subscribing to the idea that Iron is ultimately the cause of unhealthy weight gain, directly through suppression of mitochondrial respiration but also indirectly by feeding bacteria and fungus. Just like exercise, amino acids can aid in the management weight but that doesn't mean they remove the cause, and I think the cause is excess Iron, especially when one is physically active and does not see a reduction in body fat.

Has anyone else used cilantro to chelate Iron and/or seen results from doing so? I saw a post in another forum of a woman who had a very high ferritin measurement around something like 1500 and within two weeks using cilantro every day brought it all the way down into the low 400's. Cilantro is praised among the hemochromatosis community. I also supplement with copper and zinc and eat foods like shrimp which are high in minerals just in case the cilantro might chelate those as well, and I would advise anyone attempting this to make sure you are getting a generous supply of the good minerals in tandem with cilantro chelation.

I've also tried some other things to chelate Iron. Turmeric specifically, and I can tell you it does increase estrogen, or some other stress hormones and probably shouldn't use it for chelation purposes. I have gotten my body into such a calm, healthful feeling state most of the time that I am now very sensitive to when something is destructive rather than healthful, and I felt very agitated and a bit cold when using Turmeric (and Resveratrol made me want to kill somebody). I don't at all get that with cilantro.

HI forgive me if you have posted this already but the specifics of iron chelation using cilantro. Did you just juice a bunch of it? make a pesto? add it to your smoothies? how are you doing this?
thx.
Congrats on your health improvements. and for posting and sharing.

honeybee

Thx Nate. I've been making a sort of cilantro soup with chicken stock water and cilantro.

Daniil

I wonder what is the mechanism of this chelation? Flavonoids? There is also a lot of iron in the cilantro itself, but non-heme

Amazoniac

I wonder what is the mechanism of this chelation? Flavonoids? There is also a lot of iron in the cilantro itself, but non-heme
Indeed, cilantro isn't low in it, neither turmeric, the content can't be the only criteria. It's how much of the desired compound is present and needed relative to the available iron. A food may be rich in iron, but extremely high in protective compounds, allowing it to work on low amounts or making the exposure worth.

With Sathan, it has been helpful to avoid everything but the key terms, these can be validated elsewhere.

- Protective Effects of Hydro-Alcoholic Extract of Coriandrum Sativum in Rats with Experimental Iron-Overload Condition

"Research on the therapeutic properties of C. sativum is rare and regarding its iron-chelating effect, only limited in-vitro studies are available. Mirzaei and Khatami reported that coriander is a powerful iron chelator plant in in-vitro conditions, also, they found a positive correlation between phenolic and flavonoid content of the plant and iron chelating effects (15). The aim of this study was to investigate the iron chelating and anti-toxicity effects of hydro-alcoholic extract of C. sativum in rats with experimental iron-overload condition."

"The pharmacological parts of C. sativum are its leaves, seeds, and stem. In the current study, the whole plant was dried at room temperature in the shade, and then powdered. Afterwards, the powder was soaked in 1000-mL solution containing 70% ethanol and 30% water for 72 hours (the solution was gently shaked every 12 hours). Then, the solution was filtered using a Buchner funnel and liquid was separated by a rotary evaporator system (26). Finally, the extract was dried by a freezer dryer. For experimental use, the extract was dissolved in normal saline before gavage every day."

"In order to exclude the probability of iron chelation before adsorption or direct hindrance of absorption by extract in the intestine, it was preferred to use IP injection of iron dextran for iron-overload induction."

"[..]rats were treated with iron-dextran (100mg/kg body weight) through intraperitoneal injection once each two days, during a two-week intervention. Healthy control rats were treated with an equal volume of normal saline at the same time. The experimental animals were divided to 4 groups (n=6), and were treated as follows:

Group 1, Healthy control treated with normal saline
Group 2, Iron overload treated with iron dextran (100 mg/kg once every 2 days during 2 weeks intraperitoneally (IP))
Group 3, Iron overload treated with deferoxamine (50 mg/kg once every 2 days during two weeks IP)
Group 4: Iron overload treated with C. sativum extract (200mg/kg extract for 14 days)"​

"Treatment with C. sativum extract significantly decreased iron and ferritin concentration (P < 0.05). Histopathological changes in the liver, kidney, and the cardiac system, and iron accumulation in the liver were observed in the iron overload group compared to healthy controls (P < 0.05). Treatment with C. sativum extract significantly decreased biochemical parameters, such as alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and Creatinine phosphokinase (CPK), and improved tissue damage and decreased iron accumulation in the liver compared to the iron overload group (P < 0.05)."

1617735134608.png

1617735170186.png

"It has been shown that flavonoids could be interfering with iron absorption and act as an iron chelator compound (37, 38). Previous studies confirmed that the iron-chelating properties of a plant directly related to its flavonoids content (39). Najafzadeh et al. demonstrated that silymarin as a flavonoid could decrease iron overload-induced liver toxicity and its effects were similar to deferoxamine (40). In another study showed that baicalin (a commercial flavonoid) has iron chelating and liver protective effects in iron overload mice (36). Ebrahimzadeh et al. reported that there was an association between iron chelating activity and phenol and flavonoid content of herbs. Thus, plants, such as leonurus cardiana and grammosciadium platycarpum, with the highest phenol and flavonoid contents have more iron chelating effects than other plants (41)."

"Moreover, the intake of polyphenol-containing beverages has been proposed as a valuable plan to decrease nonhaem iron absorption in patients with iron overload disorders (42)."

"In addition, Sreelatha et al., reported that injection of 100 and 200 mg/kg of coriander extract is non-toxic and has protective effects on the liver of rats with oxidative stress condition (16)."

Apparently, the method used is similar to the ones in [16] and [26]. The final extract yield was 1/4 of the powdered dry plant, which is mostly water in its natural state, only 10% solids.

200 mg/kg bw ⨯ 4 ⨯ 10 (but dehydration was probably incomplete) = 8 g/kg bw
8 g = 1/2 cup​

Adjusting to humans:

8 g/kg ÷ 6.2 = 1.3 g/kg bw
1.3 g/kg ⨯ 70 kg = 90 g/person​

Pulverizing a large amount and leaving in an alcohol solution for 3 days is extensive processing, different than consuming it barely chewed in flavorant amounts. On the other hand, getting iron as half of the amount above administered intrajugularly every other day is no joke.