Is Too Much Vitamin C Estrogenic?

InChristAlone

No, you are mistaken, the more iron there is reacting in your body the more C you need. As far as copper do more research. Tons of studies on C. I've been studying it for 9 months.

Frankdee20

Yeah, I think Vitamin C, as mentioned on Peak Testosterone, should be taken on an empty belly. It appeared to interact with fats in a bad way, and taking it away from meals ensures no iron is present.

InChristAlone

I would not take that one study as fact. What were these guys CP before doing the AA? If it was higher than normal that indicates inflammation. So it going down is a good thing. I am in group where people do testing on themselves and have found very large amounts of AA to normalize both copper and iron. Also a few people cured of heart disease. That's miraculous in my opinion when the only thing doctors offer is surgery and drugs.

Ella

Forum Supporter
There are many studies about its benefits, but it's not a one application for all. Imagine a person with iron-overload then overloading their system with vitamin c; the reaction would be terrible, endless oxidization.
Same with those who have a copper deficiency, vitamin c, especially supplemented will only make them worse.

I think Ray said he would only take 50 mg at once of vitamin c and that is how it used to be made, but the new method of making it produces contaminants. I believe there is a thread somewhere citing this.

Spot on @JackHanma. I think if you are drinking OJ and eating loads of fruit, liver etc. you would be getting plenty of vitamin C. Real Vitamin C as opposed to synthetic non-functional Vitamin C. Ray says smaller amounts are more effective. I use to use vitamin C to neutralise poisoning from eating chocolate (mycotoxins, copper, lead & cadmium) but found drinking OJ + salt + sugar infinately better. Can get rid of horribe headaches from poisoning which would last 1 week, immediately in one day.

Believe it or not, many ARE using high doses of Vitamin C for iron-overload conditions. Completely over the top, considering milk, coffee, tea and the eating of liver gently and efficiently solves the problem. Supplements remember, are their bread and butter and of course it is going to be pushed - the more the better. Peat before anyone else in alternative health alerted people of the deleterious actions of iron. It was one of the reasons I took an interest in Peat's work. I had studied the mechanisms of bacterial sequestration of iron in infectious disease and its involvement in cancer. When I came across Peat's work, I instantly recognised that he was well read and understood the research at a deeper level than anyone I knew. His comprehension and his ability to connect many mechanisms i.e. estrogen, NO, PUFAs, thyroid etc. has been astounding.

Peat has never advocated supplementing Vitamin C, while others have us check our pee to make sure we are Vitamin C replete and take it intravenously for every condition under the sun. OJ is powerful enough.

Frankdee20

I think less is more with vitamin C, and I don't imply ascorbic acid in isolation per se. Perhaps a product from a whole food source is better, than corn/hexane derived Chinese stuff. Idk.

squanch

I think less is more with vitamin C, and I don't imply ascorbic acid in isolation per se. Perhaps a product from a whole food source is better, than corn/hexane derived Chinese stuff. Idk.
Like I said earlier in this thread, there are freeze dried acerola cherry and camu camu fruit powders on the market with an extremely high vitamin c content. I actually started taking some 2 days ago, just to see if I can feel any effects (around 1000 mg of vitamin c / day). Don't really feel that much different to be honest, maybe in a few days.

Frankdee20

Nice Humans lost their ability to synthesize C due to introducing it exogenously from food.

Frankdee20

Vitamin C is also good for your capillaries

DenMarker

I saw it mentioned elsehwere on the net that too much Vitamin C is actually estrogenic. Is that really the case?

For most of the last 5-6 years I've been supplementing with Emergen-C at least once a day. In fact for most of the last 2 years I was taking two of them a day (which would amount to 2000mg of Vit-C). I stopped taking it about a week ago and I'm noticing my face isn't looking as puffy and my workouts are now making me legitimately full/sore again for multiple days whereas prior I would almost never wake up sore anymore or it would last maybe one day max.

i think if its bother you, just stop. all of us have slightly different biochemistry.
hmmm do u take natural vitamin c supplements or the common vitamin c (artificially man made)

DenMarker

well i am a good example, 1 week after this blog post, i am now in hongkong in asia for work.
my schedule is pretty bad, cannot have balanced meal, just eating what i can find. can't find my usual chia seeds or vitamin c.
so if you ask me, i rather eat vitamin c from a pill box rather than no vitamin c.

of course if i am back in america and able to cook, i will rather cook and eat more fresh vegetables and fruits

tankasnowgod

There are many studies about its benefits, but it's not a one application for all. Imagine a person with iron-overload then overloading their system with vitamin c; the reaction would be terrible, endless oxidization.

I don't think there is any clinical or experimental evidence of the "terrible, endless oxidation" that occurred in your thought experiment. In E.D. Weinberg's book, he even states that Vitamin C is beneficial for Iron Overload conditions, but only cautions about using the supplement because it can improve Iron Absorption from meals (which it does by bonding with non-heme iron). Speaking of which....

The studies you quoted are all single meal studies. I found this long term study, which indicates all sorts of effects. Ferritin could go up, or down, or remain about the same, even when taking two grams per day with meals. If you notice, the three subjects with the highest baseline ferritin levels actually experienced significant drops in ferritin during the experiment.

http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/bloodjournal/64/3/721.full.pdf?sso-checked=true

berk

interesting topic here.
i always got bleeding gums when i take more than 1 gr vitamin c a day.
And if i learn it right here (correct me if i wrong) than high estrogen is the cause of bleeding gums right?

rei

Why would Emergen-C not be good?

I dunno about all the T-increasing stuff at least based on my own experience. Ever since I stopped taking it my muscles feel a lot fuller.
Are you sure you are not just inhibiting glycogen storage in muscles? Vitamin C and glucose compete for the transporter, so if you consume vitamin C in large quantities at or around your meal the glucose will not end up as effectively in glycogen, but in fat.

This is amplified by the fact that vitamin C and fat metabolism are intimately linked, so the transporter effect is not the only cause, there is bound to be biochemical factors shifting towards fat metabolism over glucose metabolism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals