Vitamin C For Stress? What Happened?

firebreather

I swear I have tried everything over the last year as far as supplements go (and lifestyle) to reduce stress - apart from diet I've tried anything and everything Peat recommends.

Nothing has worked except for salt water to a small degree.

But the other day I started taking Vitamin C powder to bowel tolerance to help with receding gums and all of the sudden and the first day I was quite tired and my feet weren't cold.

I took just shy of 2 grams that day, Yes I said grams, not mg.

The second day I took just as much and it was unfreaking believable. My feet did not get cold or sweet once the whole day. I also noticed that my temp low - in the mid 97s which is out of the ordinary as it's usually more like 90.0.

I felt more relaxed than normal.

Then by the third day it seemed to wear off and my feet were back to cold and sweaty and my temp was back up.

I was wondering what the hell was going on.

Then I remembered that at Haidut's suggestion I had taken some glycine and some aspirin and some niacinamide.

I had been using the glycine for a few days before the vitamin c and that was the first time I had ever tried it.

But I have tried aspirin and niacinamide many times before with little to no affect.

Is there any chance that for some reason the large dose of vitamin c was needed to make any of these other three (glycine, aspirin, niacinamide) work for me?

When I thought it was the vitamin c that was reducing the adrenaline response I quit taking these.

But today I took 4 grams of glycine and I'll take some aspirin and niacinamide later today.

I'm stumped.

PakPik

I would suspect that your body has been through a great deal of oxidative stress (this usually results from chronic inflammation), and since vitamin C is one of the most basic antioxidants, you felt great on it. Vit C also "protects" vitamin E, taking vit C is like improving vit E status indirectly (Partners In Defense, Vitamins E And C). Vit E is prothyroid, pro protective steroids, antistress, etc...
Finally, vitamin C is tightly involved in dopamine's function to lower prolactin release. Prolactin is one of the cardinal stress , antimetabolic hormones. Ascorbate Is Essential For Dopamine Action To Inhibit Prolactin Release
From personal experience, I can't feel o.k without at least 1.5 liters of freshly squeezed OJ daily; I've noticed powerful effects from high vitamin C foods.

doesn't high C deplete zinc? you might want to look into that.

doesn't estrogen promote cortisol also constipation does. have you checked your pulse and temp, they are probably not optimal.

OP
F

firebreather

I would suspect that your body has been through a great deal of oxidative stress (this usually results from chronic inflammation), and since vitamin C is one of the most basic antioxidants, you felt great on it. Vit C also "protects" vitamin E, taking vit C is like improving vit E status indirectly (Partners In Defense, Vitamins E And C). Vit E is prothyroid, pro protective steroids, antistress, etc...
Finally, vitamin C is tightly involved in dopamine's function to lower prolactin release. Prolactin is one of the cardinal stress , antimetabolic hormones. Ascorbate Is Essential For Dopamine Action To Inhibit Prolactin Release
From personal experience, I can't feel o.k without at least 1.5 liters of freshly squeezed OJ daily; I've noticed powerful effects from high vitamin C foods.

Very interesting.

Not until reading your post did I remember that I had actually been taking some extra vitamin e just a couple of days before.

That makes so much sense.

I also cut back on the vitamin e which might be why the c wasn't havent the same affect.

Gonna up the e again and see how that feels with the heavy vitamin c dose.

thanks so much

OP
F

firebreather

doesn't high C deplete zinc? you might want to look into that.

doesn't estrogen promote cortisol also constipation does. have you checked your pulse and temp, they are probably not optimal.

I don't know if high c depletes zinc or not but I get more than enough zinc on a daily basis.

What does estrogen have to do with this?

My pulse and temp haven't been optimal for quite some time actually - but it has nothing to do with the c

I don't know if high c depletes zinc or not but I get more than enough zinc on a daily basis.

What does estrogen have to do with this?

My pulse and temp haven't been optimal for quite some time actually - but it has nothing to do with the c

Well you say you have really high stress, so what I'm saying is estrogen is a pre cursor to more cortisol being released. So cortisol being stress. Thyroid and aspirin lower estrogen, which is why I was getting at pulse and temp.

OP
F

firebreather

Well you say you have really high stress, so what I'm saying is estrogen is a pre cursor to more cortisol being released. So cortisol being stress. Thyroid and aspirin lower estrogen, which is why I was getting at pulse and temp.

Ah okay, got ya.

Thankfully my estrogen is low and my cortisol tends to be low as well which has been a double edge sword

Hgreen56

after reading this topic i did a experiment to.
So after waking up in the morning i take 100mg caffeine on empty stomach to trigger a stress reaction.
20 minutes later i became restless and felt adrenaline coming up (Duh)
Then I took 1 gram of vitamin C powder and 20 minutes later the restless feeling where reduced with 90-100% .

Last edited:
OP
F

firebreather

after reading this topic i did a experiment to.
So after waking up in the morning i take 100mg caffeine on empty stomach to trigger a stress reaction.
20 minutes later i became restless and felt adrenaline coming up (Duh)
Then I took 1 gram of vitamin C powder and 20 minutes later the restless feeling where reduced with 90-100% .

I totally forgot about this until seeing your response here.

Still dealing with cold extremities so I might try this again