Is Too Much Vitamin C Estrogenic?

JDreamer

I saw it mentioned elsehwere on the net that too much Vitamin C is actually estrogenic. Is that really the case?

For most of the last 5-6 years I've been supplementing with Emergen-C at least once a day. In fact for most of the last 2 years I was taking two of them a day (which would amount to 2000mg of Vit-C). I stopped taking it about a week ago and I'm noticing my face isn't looking as puffy and my workouts are now making me legitimately full/sore again for multiple days whereas prior I would almost never wake up sore anymore or it would last maybe one day max.

Well granted that Ray Peat wouldn't touch vitamin C even if you paid him, a hypothetically pure powder could still give you such issues by shifting your redox balance in the cell.

nikotrope

Most research shows Vitamin C increasing T at 2000mg per day.

Emergen-C seems like a pretty bad supplement though. Vitamin C supplements from whole foods are a lot different.

OP
J

JDreamer

Most research shows Vitamin C increasing T at 2000mg per day.

Emergen-C seems like a pretty bad supplement though. Vitamin C supplements from whole foods are a lot different.

Why would Emergen-C not be good?

I dunno about all the T-increasing stuff at least based on my own experience. Ever since I stopped taking it my muscles feel a lot fuller.

BibleBeliever

I think Ray talks about lead and other contaminants getting into vitamin c supplements, but I can't find the citation.

Otherwise: Vitamin C overdose/deficiency symptoms, benefits, side effects

Too much can lower copper levels. Probably lower vitamin e levels. The link says lowers zinc and even manganese.

I was trying 2-3 liters of orange juice and after a few weeks started to notice arm weakness. Frozen orange juice which is higher in vitamin c made it much worse. I decreased orange juice to about 1 liter and replaced the rest with manganese-rich maple syrup. The difference in muscular output and mental energy was staggering.

I also noted a diarrhea effect from excessive vitamin c.
Vitamin c also increases iron absorption.

Excessive vitamin c can form oxalic crystals according to this and many others:
Transcript: #123 How Oxalates Ruin Your Health with Dr. William Shaw - Liveto110.com

"Another source of oxalates that you have to be aware of is high doses of vitamin C. When vitamin C decomposes, it can form oxalates. In the medical literature, it’s controversial. Some articles indicate that even 500 milligrams, greater 500 milligrams might result in increased oxalate whereas others indicate you have to exceed 2000."

theLaw

Ray discusses vitamin C here:

Also, I would look toward getting C from whole foods while focusing on improving liver health (caffeine+ k2) to improve T and lower E.:D

squanch

Any opinions on vitamin c in the form of acerola cherry / camu camu fruit powder (freeze dried)?
It wouldn't have any of the contamination issues of supplemental ascorbic acid.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

Guavas, Couliflower, Bell peppers, Broccoli, Kiwis are excellent sources. You could easily get 200 mg daily from combining those alone.

Arnold Grape

I'm averaging around three-four grams, in addition to what I'm eating - there's no way this theory holds for me personally.

Frankdee20

I'm averaging around three-four grams, in addition to what I'm eating - there's no way this theory holds for me personally.

. Can I ask why you feel you should supplement that much ?

Arnold Grape

After I read the post I linked above, I became convinced that I could raise temps and potentiate the other b vitamins listed to lower iron and initiate thyroid function. While that did not happen consistently- per se, I do feel better and have more energy than before. I think there are times when you can mark the growing of your health and the components of this growth are almost relative to the person. In this case, increasing Vitamin C, in addition to taking the b-vitsmins (b1, b2, b7) and taurine - with occasional use of pregnenolone has worked well for me. I also use Progest-e in tiny amounts.

Frankdee20

How much Taurine you do ? I like it, but aside from relaxation, can't tell what else it's doing

Arnold Grape

-Between like 4-6 grams of Taurine daily: typically once you notice that noxious smell when flatulent, that is ostensibly enough. Mainly I think it helps with glycogen storage and muscle building, although ideally for hair and mood, as well. There are other factors, but I noticed when I first began Peat-eating I could only tolerate about 1/2 cup of OJ on waking while now I can drink 2-2.5 without any negative response.

InChristAlone

So much misinformation! Vitamin C can literally save your life if you are sick. Can't say the same about taking thyroid. Do more research.

BibleBeliever

So much misinformation! Vitamin C can literally save your life if you are sick. Can't say the same about taking thyroid. Do more research.
There are many studies about its benefits, but it's not a one application for all. Imagine a person with iron-overload then overloading their system with vitamin c; the reaction would be terrible, endless oxidization.
Same with those who have a copper deficiency, vitamin c, especially supplemented will only make them worse.

I think Ray said he would only take 50 mg at once of vitamin c and that is how it used to be made, but the new method of making it produces contaminants. I believe there is a thread somewhere citing this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals