Trouble going off vitamin C

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Do you find it increases your menstrual flow or gives you diarrhetic effects?
No, my bowel tolerance is like 12 grams or more. And no increase in menstrual bleeding. Seems about the same if not better.

mamakitty

No, my bowel tolerance is like 12 grams or more. And no increase in menstrual bleeding. Seems about the same if not better.
Oh that’s amazing it works that way for you.
I definitely notice I bleed more if I take vitamin c, in fact I used it a couple times to induce periods when I was late due to stress. I also get diarrhoea at about 4 grams or less :(

youngsinatra

I also like ascorbic acid - I think it can relieve the effects of copper toxicity, which can cause a whole bunch of mental problems.
Dr. Abram Hoffer used high dose vitamin C for his schizophrenic patients. (alongside other nutrients like B3...)

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

I also like ascorbic acid - I think it can relieve the effects of copper toxicity, which can cause a whole bunch of mental problems.
Dr. Abram Hoffer used high dose vitamin C for his schizophrenic patients. (alongside other nutrients like B3...)
Yeah I have a long history of mental health issues so it isn't surprising I love Dr. Hoffer's work!

Gustav3Y

Did he say that is his intent specifically to use Vit C do drop Copper?

Ironically Vit C helps copper further in it's action converting dopamine to norepinephrine.
Also degrades Tyrosine.

youngsinatra

Did he say that is his intent specifically to use Vit C do drop Copper?

Ironically Vit C helps copper further in it's action converting dopamine to norepinephrine.
Also degrades Tyrosine.
IIRC he said that vitamin C increases fecal copper excretion.

I think he mainly used it to prevent adrenochrome formation tho.

Gustav3Y

What are the other forms? I think citric acid is not good because it’s artificial
citric acid is something else than vitamin c.

None the less I mean for example using sodium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid.

mamakitty

citric acid is something else than vitamin c.

None the less I mean for example using sodium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid.
Oh I see! I think someone else mentioned sofium ascorbate somewhere but I didn’t really get it. What are the key differences and why is it better?
I also don’t know where to get it from.

Gustav3Y

Less acidic form with regards to the stomach, worth being mentioned that does not mean it cannot irritate the intestines, but some have better success with it than the very acidic ascorbic acid.
There is also calcium ascorbate.
You can buy both in pure powder form without added recipients for example under the brand Now Foods.

mamakitty

Less acidic form with regards to the stomach, worth being mentioned that does not mean it cannot irritate the intestines, but some have better success with it than the very acidic ascorbic acid.
There is also calcium ascorbate.
You can buy both in pure powder form without added recipients for example under the brand Now Foods.
Would calcium ascorbate also supplement calcium?

Gustav3Y

Would calcium ascorbate also supplement calcium?
Yes, but only a little bit.
For 1000mg of Calcium Ascorbate powder you would be getting roughly 100mg of Calcium and 900mg of Ascorbate.
Same ratios for Sodium Ascorbate.

Birdie

What about the lead content in the usual vitamin Cs ? I've been using Quali-C which claims to be very low lead.

Birdie

What about the lead content in the usual vitamin Cs ? I've been using Quali-C which claims to be very low lead.
Most of the vitamin C comes from China. There is info about lead content and which is better on another thread that I've read recently. Ray has remarked that the old vitamin C was good, but modern mass production uses a different process. It used to be made in small batches but popularity encouraged using different synthesis. Sorry, can't remember which thread it was..

P

Peatness

Can you elaborate on this?
The body gets used to excreting vitaman C if you are supplementing at high doses. I am not sure if there are clinical studies to support this but Linus Pauling wrote about a rebound effect in one of his books on cancer.

THE REBOUND EFFECT - CANCER AND VITAMIN C (Ewan Cameron, Linus Pauling, 1992, pg 117-118 softcover).

When a person regularly ingests about 150 mg of vitamin C per day the ascorbate concentration in the blood plasma is about 1.5 mg per 100 milli?liters. It was observed in 1973 (Harris, Robinson, and Pauling; Spero and Anderson) that when the amount ingested is increased to several grams per day the plasma ascorbate concentration rises to about 2.5 mg per 100 milli?liters and then, with the same high intake, decreases over a few days to about the original value, 1.5.

This phenomenon is well known in bacteria. It is called induced enzyme formation. In the case of vitamin C in human beings, we assume that there are enzymes that help to convert ascorbate to certain oxidation products. It is known that these oxidation products serve a useful purpose?they have been shown to have anticancer activity in mice, and presumably are similarly effective in human beings. The ascorbate itself also is valuable, and accord?ingly on a low intake the body manufactures only a small number of the enzyme molecules, in order to conserve the ascorbate. When the high intake is begun more enzyme molecules are manufactured, in order to convert the extra ascorbate to the useful oxidation products, instead of simply allowing the excess to be excreted in the urine. These oxidation products, which as yet have not been thoroughly studied, may provide an important part of the mechanism by which large doses of vitamin C help to control cancer and other diseases.

From the foregoing argument we would expect that when a person who has been on a high intake of vitamin C for some time suddenly reverts to his original low intake the enzymes, present in large number, would operate to convert most of the ingested ascorbate to its oxidation products, leaving him with a dangerously low concentration of ascorbate in the blood. This effect has been observed; it is called the rebound effect. It lasts for only a few days. by which time the enzyme molecules present in excess have been destroyed and the number remaining has reached the value appropriate to the low intake. There is some evidence that during the period of the rebound effect the susceptibility to infections is increased; the control of cancer might also be less at this time. It is accordingly recommended that a high intake of vitamin C not be suddenly stopped, even for one day; instead it should be gradually decreased, over a period of several days, if a decrease is deemed to be necessary.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals