Does a lot of copper increase the need of vitamin C?

Motif

Every few months I got wounds on my fingers that didn’t heal. And it’s always exactly the same spots.

i figured out that tangerines really help when I had them and they disappeared. It always worked and i thought probably it’s a vitamin C thing.

Now they are back not as bad, but still there.

i Wonder if my copper supplementation has something to do with this? I try to get a lot of copper now to get my levels up.

I also take vitamin A right now and just about 5 mg zinc. B complex and sometimes even camu camu.
But somehow I think it’s the copper.

could copper increase needs for vitamin C?

Edit: I might have to introduce tangerines again.

Edit 2: if I need more zinc and vitamin c when I get lots of copper - how much should I get extra on days I eat liver ?

Last edited:

Motif

@redsun do you know this maybe? Or does it increase the need for zinc ?

Btw would you say 1 mg of copper and 13 mg of zinc are enough for a 6‘1 guy / 73 kg?

Motif

Yes please get more vitamin C with what you are doing.
Thanks! Can you tell me a little more about that?

how much more vitamin c and zinc do I need when I get (much) more copper ?

anything else I need to take care of?

Motif

And does this mean that I have to get more zinc on days I eat liver ? And vitamin c? How much approximately?

@Hans maybe you know this?

Last edited:

Mr.Bollox

And does this mean that I have to get more zinc on days I eat liver ? And vitamin c? How much approximately?

@Hans maybe you know this?
i would not supplement the copper at all, i actually had a small mole start to form on my toe when i was using copper supplements (i was using zinc and i think vitamin C supplements too). it was very small and went away within a month of dropping copper supps. i would just eat the liver, even ancestrals liver product if you really need it. just use organic OJ for the vitamin c. and maybe ZMA just one capsule 3x a week... nutrabios brand is good with no excipients. the zinc will probably cause an issue too. 30mg a week woudl provide around 4mg a day which is good enough the rest ideally should be from dairy/milk and the small amounts in organ meats

Motif

i would not supplement the copper at all, i actually had a small mole start to form on my toe when i was using copper supplements (i was using zinc and i think vitamin C supplements too). it was very small and went away within a month of dropping copper supps. i would just eat the liver, even ancestrals liver product if you really need it. just use organic OJ for the vitamin c. and maybe ZMA just one capsule 3x a week... nutrabios brand is good with no excipients. the zinc will probably cause an issue too. 30mg a week woudl provide around 4mg a day which is good enough the rest ideally should be from dairy/milk and the small amounts in organ meats
Thanks! But did you have copper or any other deficiency ?

Mr.Bollox

Thanks! But did you have copper or any other deficiency ?
not sure, i added it in because i seemed to have developed fatigue and other symptoms from long term usage of zinc and vitamin C supplementation. also wasnt drinking tap water for a while, and didnt really have any copper dietary sources.

Motif

not sure, i added it in because i seemed to have developed fatigue and other symptoms from long term usage of zinc and vitamin C supplementation. also wasnt drinking tap water for a while, and didnt really have any copper dietary sources.
I see! And now do you get copper from foods? What copper sources?

Mr.Bollox

I see! And now do you get copper from foods? What copper sources?

i havent been getting much currently, but im mostly drinking milk, OJ, coconut water, and some dates, raw honey, sometimes dried figs. however i have previously used and plan to add in ancestral supplements products again. when i was using those I would be able to easily get 1oz liver a day if not more. however when I do add them in ill be using them every other day, but that would still be providing 3mg+ copper 4x a week, which is a good amount especially if you arent supplementing zinc/iron or other minerals.
i try to use ZMA 3x a week as well just for a bit of extra zinc and magnesium and some b6 which seems tough to find from foods. the whole milk provides a good amount as well. i think OJ and milk have some copper btw... think milk is 100mcg per cup so with a half gallon that would be 0.8mg. OJ may have like 0.1mg per cup too.
that would mean milk has copper:zinc in about a 1:10 ratio which some claim is ideal. liver has them in more like a 3:2 ratio of copper:zinc but it has some iron, as well as lots of vitamin A and maybe other things that counteract the larger copper amount.
I know Ray said he doesnt like dessicated liver supplements due to some of the aminos and nutrients being oxidized but hes also stated that cooking milk and other foods oxidizes the nutrients. so i think ancestrals products being freeze dried should be fine. they are freeze dried in a raw state, and according to some that should preserve more nutrients compared to cooking.
the ancestrals product is from new zealand and grass fed so it would be hard to get that in a raw state otherwise. it would also be more time consuming cooking and weighing out just an ounce of liver a day

Motif

i havent been getting much currently, but im mostly drinking milk, OJ, coconut water, and some dates, raw honey, sometimes dried figs. however i have previously used and plan to add in ancestral supplements products again. when i was using those I would be able to easily get 1oz liver a day if not more. however when I do add them in ill be using them every other day, but that would still be providing 3mg+ copper 4x a week, which is a good amount especially if you arent supplementing zinc/iron or other minerals.
i try to use ZMA 3x a week as well just for a bit of extra zinc and magnesium and some b6 which seems tough to find from foods. the whole milk provides a good amount as well. i think OJ and milk have some copper btw... think milk is 100mcg per cup so with a half gallon that would be 0.8mg. OJ may have like 0.1mg per cup too.
that would mean milk has copper:zinc in about a 1:10 ratio which some claim is ideal. liver has them in more like a 3:2 ratio of copper:zinc but it has some iron, as well as lots of vitamin A and maybe other things that counteract the larger copper amount.
I know Ray said he doesnt like dessicated liver supplements due to some of the aminos and nutrients being oxidized but hes also stated that cooking milk and other foods oxidizes the nutrients. so i think ancestrals products being freeze dried should be fine. they are freeze dried in a raw state, and according to some that should preserve more nutrients compared to cooking.
the ancestrals product is from new zealand and grass fed so it would be hard to get that in a raw state otherwise. it would also be more time consuming cooking and weighing out just an ounce of liver a day
Sounds good!