Niacinamide + Vit C = Niacin?

SOMO

Recently I saw an ad for a popular skincare brand called "The Ordinary" which contains 10% Niacinamide.
The commercial stated that if you use any sort of Vitamin-C containing product, to use it apart from the Niacinamide cream. That is, several hours apart.

Their rationale for this was that Vitamin C can catalyze the formation of Niacin from the Niacinamide, and as we know Niacin is responsible for skin flushing/redness.

I thought this was a small concern, because I used to mix my OJ with Niacinamide.

Niacinamide is a pretty “tough” ingredient; light and air don’t have the same effect on it as they do on antioxidants like vitamin C. What’s important for niacinamide is that the product be formulated at a pH that’s close to neutral. Vitamin C (pure ascorbic acid), on the other hand, does best in a low-pH (acidic) environment. However, nicotinic acid—the undesirable by-product of niacinamide and vitamin C—becomes an issue only when the niacinamide and vitamin C are combined in a high-temperature environment for a long time. That temperature is higher than you’d find in most at-home scenarios, including leaving a box of skin care products sitting outside in the sun for a couple of days.
Can Niacinamide and Vitamin C Be Used Together? | Paula's Choice

This article doesn't state what that "high-temeprature" is but I wonder if being combined in a 98.6 degree stomach and being churned around is sufficient to catalyze the formation of Niacin from Niacinamide+Vit C.
Obviously a cosmetics manufacturer is not a "scientific" source, but they would be inclined to produce a product that benefits skin, and does not cause further issues - which Niacin does

OP
SOMO

SOMO

Still need an answer for this. I made the mistake of taking 2 Vit C capsules and 1 Niacinamide tablet and got facial flushing today.

InChristAlone

Super interesting, never heard of this.

youngsinatra

It would be awesome if that would be the case!

Then you have a two-in one product :D

Dr. B

Still need an answer for this. I made the mistake of taking 2 Vit C capsules and 1 Niacinamide tablet and got facial flushing today.

If youve tested niacinamide by itself, vitamin c by itself, and didnt get skin flushing, but when combining the two did get skin flushing, it is very possible they did create niacin or something else.

Doesnt niacinamide also get broken down to niacin during digestion? Or no

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals