Ascorbic Acid

LucH

Amazoniac said:
I noticed that some people are taking large doses of d-ascorbic acid. I don't think that the organism recognizes it as proper vit C or l-ascorbic acid. It can act as an aox though. Can someone confirm this?
When I buy acid L-ascobic, I verify "N° CAS"
acide L-ascorbique or E300 or [highlight=yellow]CAS 50-81-7[/highlight]
Otherwise it may be 50/50
:yellohello
LucH

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazoniac

LucH said:
Amazoniac said:
I noticed that some people are taking large doses of d-ascorbic acid. I don't think that the organism recognizes it as proper vit C or l-ascorbic acid. It can act as an aox though. Can someone confirm this?
When I buy acid L-ascobic, I verify "N° CAS"
acide L-ascorbique or E300 or [highlight=yellow]CAS 50-81-7[/highlight]
Otherwise it may be 50/50
:yellohello
LucH

I've seen many supplements being sold where I live as Ascorbic Acid, without any specification. When I contacted those companies they replied that it was the synthetic form: D-Ascorbic Acid being sold as Vit C..
I don't think that mixing the two forms is a bad idea though.
But thank you for sharing!

Amazoniac

LucH said:
Amazoniac said:
When I contacted those companies they replied that it was the synthetic form: D-Ascorbic Acid being sold as Vit C..
That's the good one.
"L'acide L(+) ascorbique est dextrogyre; de l'ordre de + 21 °"
D stands for "dextrogyre".
LucH

Yeah, but it's mirrored and I'm not sure if vit C receptors recognize it as proper vit C..
Do you know?

Giraffe

Ray Peat talked in a 2012 radio interview "Antioxidants" about vitamin c.

"... that happens inside the cell during stress. If you're overloaded with iron, when your cell can't use iron properly, any reductant including vitamin c will react to turn the highly oxidized iron into the partly reduced form ferrous iron. In which case that iron then becomes a major oxidant transferring its electrons to fats and proteins, DNA and so on."

They are concluding that ascorbic acid can cause a lot of damage as iron is prevalent in everybody's body and in a lot of food.

Later Peat talks about dehydroascorbic acid which is found in meat.

"It's functioning in the cell as an oxidant, and that is how it's having a major part of its protective effect... if you have a temporary shut-off of the blood supply ... "

"The presence of the oxidative dehydroascorbic in the cell functions as a substitute for oxygen for a short time. It soaks up these random damaging electrons, being turned back into ordinary ascorbic acid which then becomes water soluble, leaves the cell."

montmorency

Imad said:
What I have observed is Vit. C definitely has an anti-stress effect on me and it helps me greatly with cold and allergies. It doesn't have a great laxative effect on me though. Rather, it is the carrot salad that stimulates my bowel movement.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why it is only with the manufacturing method of C that impurities are introduced. I do take OJ of a South African brand - Ceres and it somehow doesn't have the same effect as ascorbic acid and I find myself sneezing and going down with cold if I skip it especially in the winter season of India.

(Belated response ...)

Could this simply be an aspect of dosage? Pauling himself (while possibly admitting the theoretical superiority of getting vitamin C from natural sources such as oranges) said it was impossible (well at least very difficult) to get the high dosages that he recommended from oranges. Orange juice is a bit of a moot point. If you could get sufficient freshly-squeezed OJ, that would be one thing, but I'd have to wonder about commercially prepared OJ, even of the highest quality. I don't have any expert knowledge, but I would guess that the amount or quality of the vitamin C in commercial OJ starts to go down from the moment the oranges are squeezed in the first place.

I like oranges, but if I eat too many in one go, I notice a very unpleasant acid feeling in the stomach.

FWIW, Vitamin C in megadoses does tend to have a laxative effect on me. I try to limit this by dividing my doses through the day, but that's not always convenient / possible. I also try mostly to take it in powder form, usually mixed with about half as much sodium bicarbonate, so what I end up taking is sodium ascorbate (which is fine, I think, according to Pauling - it's actually the ascorbate that the body uses). I also sometimes buy magnesium ascorbate powder, since that has less of a laxative effect on me, and it's another way to get magnesium. Trouble is it's expensive. Anyway, by using powder in preference to tablets, I figure I miss at least some of the extra ingredients that the manufacture of pills/tablets might involve (stearates, etc). Doesn't (probably) eliminate the possibility of heavy metal contamination though, unfortunately. :-(

Giraffe

tara said:
Carotene HelpI can't speak to whether/how much thyroid is in the chicken necks you can get - I couldn't get any info about the ones here either. But I think I could tell that the stock made a small difference to me. You could try it and see if you notice any difference.
How long does it take to feel the effect? I am wondering about dosage.

Last edited:

tara

Giraffe said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96602/
tara said:
Carotene HelpI can't speak to whether/how much thyroid is in the chicken necks you can get - I couldn't get any info about the ones here either. But I think I could tell that the stock made a small difference to me. You could try it and see if you notice any difference.
I have been cooking up 30 - 40 necks at a time, then freezing the stock in ice cubes so I can have a little twice a day. I haven't been completely rigorous about measurements, but I think I have used the stock of between one and two necks a day. I think I could tell mild effects within just 10-15 minutes.
Mittir has a post describing what he worked out about quantities, but it's hard to know how much of the thyroid we actually get out of the stock. I think he said he got very warm from stock of 5 necks.

Giraffe

tara said:
Ascorbic acid
Giraffe said:
Ascorbic acid
tara said:
I have been cooking up 30 - 40 necks at a time, then freezing the stock in ice cubes so I can have a little twice a day. I haven't been completely rigorous about measurements, but I think I have used the stock of between one and two necks a day. I think I could tell mild effects within just 10-15 minutes.
Mittir has a post describing what he worked out about quantities, but it's hard to know how much of the thyroid we actually get out of the stock. I think he said he got very warm from stock of 5 necks.
I remember Mittir mentioning ice cubes. This actually made me wonder, when (after how many hours?) to expect an effect.

Last edited:

ddjd

Without
iron, all three compounds considerably reduced 8-OHdG formation
(i.e., acted as scavengers), while in the presence of iron salts, 8-OHdG
whats the deal with this 8-OHdG marker. does peat see it as a good way of identifying oxidative stress?

MayaPapaya

RP has mentioned that a lot of benefit of high dose vitamin C comes from it's
laxative effect. I believe there is a old thread on vitamin C discussion.
I remember that heavy metals are introduced in manufacturing method.
Orange juice has good amount of vitamin C. Here is a detail RP response
on vitamin C. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ort ... opics/1876

Here is a quote from Peatarian exchange
What about Liposomal Vit C by Dr. Mercola, 500mg per capsule, very good, natural source. Dr. Mercola is pretty reliable alternative dr.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals