Is It Safe To Take High Doses Of B Vitamins?

Connor888

w98HSwo.png

I know some say you pee out what you don't use, but how much of a guarantee is that? Is it proven without any doubt ? My B12 is on the lower end and figured I may as well get a b complex in case im lacking in any other vitamins. Safe ?? I ask because as you can see by the pic the supplement I've seen has crazy high doses. Just strikes me as quite unnatural taking these vitamins in such high doses
Thank you.e

Below is the one I use for B vitamins (and more);

About £3.49 from the likes of Tesco, Holland & Barrett etcetera :): I find most of the B-complex tablets have enormous RDA doses, less is sometimes more IMO. Each pack contains 125 grams, so 25 days worth for £3.49.
Basically with the amount per 5 gram serving you could take with each meal of the day IMO, oh and it tastes nice :hungry::handok:
Also you might want to investigate Brewers Yeast too.
product-shot.jpg

Nutrition-table-with-text.gif

Last edited:

Jessie

I've seen several studies where really high doses of thiamine (up to 1,500mgs), niacinamide (up to 1,500mgs), and biotin (up to 300mgs) were used without incident or much drawback. These three in particular get used pretty rapidly by the body, so that may be why.

Thiamine, if used in high doses for months at a time, could increase your potassium requirements. And niacinamide could increase your need for choline if used in high doses for months at a time. Generally though, there's many positive benefits to using B1, B3, and B7 in high doses for short intervals (1-4 weeks). Namely the combo can suppress FAO and reignite proper oxidative phosphorylation. It essentially has many of the same effects thyroid supplements have.

Something like folate or B12 may be more harmful if used in high doses, since we use less of them on a daily basis.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

Below is the one I use for B vitamins (and more);

About £3.49 from the likes of Tesco, Holland & Barrett etcetera :): I find most of the B-complex tablets have enormous RDA doses, less is sometimes more IMO. Each pack contains 125 grams, so 25 days worth for £3.49.
Basically with the amount per 5 gram serving you could take with each meal of the day IMO, oh and it tastes nice :hungry::handok:
Also you might want to investigate Brewers Yeast too.
product-shot.jpg

Nutrition-table-with-text.gif

Great thank you that looks like a good product.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

I've seen several studies where really high doses of thiamine (up to 1,500mgs), niacinamide (up to 1,500mgs), and biotin (up to 300mgs) were used without incident or much drawback. These three in particular get used pretty rapidly by the body, so that may be why.

Thiamine, if used in high doses for months at a time, could increase your potassium requirements. And niacinamide could increase your need for choline if used in high doses for months at a time. Generally though, there's many positive benefits to using B1, B3, and B7 in high doses for short intervals (1-4 weeks). Namely the combo can suppress FAO and reignite proper oxidative phosphorylation. It essentially has many of the same effects thyroid supplements have.

Something like folate or B12 may be more harmful if used in high doses, since we use less of them on a daily basis.

If you remember where those studies were could you link them here please?

Jessie

Yeah I can find some of them, many of which are on the forum. But I don't remember all of them. All these studies used high doses of these vitamins:

Thiamine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor As Effective As Acetazolamide

"The highest concentration of thiamine is required to inhibit hCA I and it is 380nM/L. This figure from a human study on the pharmacokinetics of thiamine shows that this concentration is achievable using a 1,500mg dose."

Thiamine Reduces Both Lactate And Ammonia

"The study was with humans and also included exercise, which makes thiamine even more interesting to athletes. The type of thiamine used was TTFD, which is the scientific name for allithiamine, and the dose was 10mg/kg. That would mean a total daily dose in the range of 600mg-900mg for most people."

Niacinamide May Prevent Melanoma

"About 2 years ago an Australian study hit frontpage news. It found that ingesting 1g niacinamide daily significantly reduced the risk of non-melanoma skin cancers."

Niacinamide Can Treat Kidney Failure

"This study shows that a HED dose of about 30mg/kg niacinamide for 4 days fully restored kidney function."

Biotin As A Treatment For Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

"This human study used 300mg daily dose of biotin in patients with MS and the results were so promising that 2 clinical trials are already underway."

OP
Connor888

Connor888

Yeah I can find some of them, many of which are on the forum. But I don't remember all of them. All these studies used high doses of these vitamins:

Thiamine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor As Effective As Acetazolamide

"The highest concentration of thiamine is required to inhibit hCA I and it is 380nM/L. This figure from a human study on the pharmacokinetics of thiamine shows that this concentration is achievable using a 1,500mg dose."

Thiamine Reduces Both Lactate And Ammonia

"The study was with humans and also included exercise, which makes thiamine even more interesting to athletes. The type of thiamine used was TTFD, which is the scientific name for allithiamine, and the dose was 10mg/kg. That would mean a total daily dose in the range of 600mg-900mg for most people."

Niacinamide May Prevent Melanoma

"About 2 years ago an Australian study hit frontpage news. It found that ingesting 1g niacinamide daily significantly reduced the risk of non-melanoma skin cancers."

Niacinamide Can Treat Kidney Failure

"This study shows that a HED dose of about 30mg/kg niacinamide for 4 days fully restored kidney function."

Biotin As A Treatment For Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

"This human study used 300mg daily dose of biotin in patients with MS and the results were so promising that 2 clinical trials are already underway."

Thank you so much

Frankdee20

I’ve used this same product for many months off and on, but when I took two capsules, my anxiety increased....

D

danishispsychic

I like Mary Ruth's B complex drops. No b-1 in them though- they have made such a diff in my hair , nails, mood.

SonOfEurope

Has to be well over what the body would desire but then it might become a bit of a burden on the kidneys too.

Still far less dangerous than OD on the Fat solubles.

Energizer

Supplements
Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives. In the winter I use vitamin D, but only on my skin in an oil. Using a thyroid supplement temporarily might help to lower your estrogen.

Some of the B vitamins, especially B2, can be very allergenic. B6 doesn't affect the others very much; 10 mg per day is a big dose.

Its effects are usually visible immediately, or within a few days, if it's going to be helpful. It's best in general to get the B vitamins from regular foods, occasionally with liver, because supplements usually contain contaminants that can cause allergic reactions when they are used for a long time. Other B vitamins that are usually safe for occasional use are B1, niacinamide, and pantothenic acid.

If you are getting enough of the major nutrients, including protein, calcium, and sugar, it's possible that you have a specific stress-related deficiency, for example of B6, niacinamide, or selenium. 10 mg of B6 can sometimes make a quick difference in prostate and libido, 100 mg of niacinamide can reduce some stress symptoms. Applying caffeine solution to the scalp locally helps to promote hair growth. Water and a little alcohol are convenient for applying it. [LOW LIBIDO, HAIR LOSS FOR A YOUNG MALE]

Because of individual sensitivities, each one should be tested carefully. Allergic reactions sometimes show up within a few minutes of contacting your mouth, other times it takes a couple of days to see a bad reaction. The worst one is B2, folic acid is next for allergies. B1, pantothenic acid, niacinamide and B6 are pretty safe.

[PUFAs IN VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS] As long as you use the vitamin topically it would not do any harm but be careful to not expose your skin to direct sunlight.

Most supplements contain enough impurities to eventually cause problems. Thyroid and aspirin are among the safest, and the most likely to be valuable indefinitely. It depends on where you live, but vitamin D3, vitamin K, and selenium deficiencies are extremely widespread.

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

Jessie

Yeah, yeast tends to be the least adulterated multi vitamin on the market. Brewers yeast will work, I prefer nutritional yeast due to the cheesy flavor. I recommend a yeast that's non-fortified, so there's no excess iron. The one I get is by Sari Foods. Here's the nutrient composition, no B12 unfortunately, because B12 in yeast comes from the fortification process.

Attachments

• yeast.png
    yeast.png
    278.5 KB · Views: 28

Energizer

Yeah, Brewers yeast doesn't have recipients, but might have a lot of estrogen.

Jessie

Yeah, Brewers yeast doesn't have recipients, but might have a lot of estrogen.
That is true, trading one con for another I suppose. Few times a week is probably safe, I wouldn't recommend making it apart of the daily diet. Eggs, oysters, liver, and dairy can cover 99% of the basis.

Hgreen56

b-vitamines are water-soluble vitamins so you can never overdose them because you piss it out again if the body not using it.
(the more yellow your urine is, the more money b-vitamines you peeing out)

Ben.

Well i can only draw from my own experience taking high b-complex vitamins for 2 weeks daily. The urin is literally neon-yellow atleast at the initial pee after taking the vitamins.

oddly enough after around 4-5 days my eyes changed in colour and intensity. From a greyish blue to a deep ocean blue like the actor in vikings as ragnar has. Sadly this effect only persisted for 2 days (coworkers were amazed tho).
I didn't take any other supplements during that time i think. Perhaps Fishoil that had vitamin d and olive oil in it (yea i know better now...) and maybe i was experiementing with hericium mushroom capsules for my stomache issues.

At the 6th or 7th day i started to get issues when taking it. Feeling nauseated or rather sick to my stomache... So i stopped taking it daily and only every second or third day. But this too eventually led to me feeling bad taking it.

Conclusion for me was taking it 2-3 times a week should be fine and you get a fun colour while you pee, but anything in to high dosages as a supplement can be problematic long term.

Hgreen56

Well i can only draw from my own experience taking high b-complex vitamins for 2 weeks daily. The urin is literally neon-yellow atleast at the initial pee after taking the vitamins.

oddly enough after around 4-5 days my eyes changed in colour and intensity. From a greyish blue to a deep ocean blue like the actor in vikings as ragnar has. Sadly this effect only persisted for 2 days (coworkers were amazed tho).
I didn't take any other supplements during that time i think. Perhaps Fishoil that had vitamin d and olive oil in it (yea i know better now...) and maybe i was experiementing with hericium mushroom capsules for my stomache issues.

At the 6th or 7th day i started to get issues when taking it. Feeling nauseated or rather sick to my stomache... So i stopped taking it daily and only every second or third day. But this too eventually led to me feeling bad taking it.

Conclusion for me was taking it 2-3 times a week should be fine and you get a fun colour while you pee, but anything in to high dosages as a supplement can be problematic long term.
Take the b vitamins separately and find out which one gives you deep ocean blue eyes again.
With a bit of luck you will find out which one makes you sick to.

Ben.

Take the b vitamins separately and find out which one gives you deep ocean blue eyes again.
With a bit of luck you will find out which one makes you sick to.

Mhhhh i am not sure i understand you correctly. It was a experiment for my tinnitus a year ago.

Taking them seperately in high dosages ... that sounds very expensive. Let's assume i take each B-Vitamin seperately i had in the complex which are 11. Then i use each seperately for 2 weeks. That means i need 22 weeks to go trough all.

I actually think it was just to much in a to of a high dosage why i felt bad. Or do you guys take these high dosage vitamins on a regular basis without issues?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals