I Find Beef Liver And Oysters Disgusting

Dean

Charlie said:
Holy cow Dean! :eek:

You got that right. It was a wild, scary experience. I was by myself and was checking my body for rashes and talking to myself to see if I could tell if my tongue was swelling. :lol: Especially when I strange, but minor discomfort and sensation started in the back of my tongue. When the copious quantities of pure bile started coming up, I kind of relaxed on the shellfish allergic shock worries, figured it was more acid reflux related and focused on passing out as soon as possible. :mrgreen:

But still, when it comes to giving it another go...

Dean

Yeah, Kiran..that possibility has occured to me too. Maybe it wasn't a reaction to oysters in general...just those particular oysters. I know a few other brands of canned oysters had been recalled recently, so perhaps the Chicken of the Sea ones came from the same place as the other brands.

I probably will give those refrigerated ones I saw the other day a try. I'll only eat a couple, just in case.

jaketthomas

I can tolerate Liver. Oysters, out of the question. They're one of the most vile foods I've ever had the misfortune of putting into my mouth. I don't know how people eat them.

Dean

I scored some frozen grass-fed beef liver today. It was frozen; so it will be tomorrow at soonest I can give it a try. I've liked pork liver products like braunscweiger and liverwurst since I was a kid and like chicken livers too. Never tried beef liver though. I understand it's alot stronger tasting but I don't see any reason why I won't be able to get it down.

I also thought I should make a correction on the oyster info I relayed in passing on my eating misadventure. It was not "Chicken of the Sea" canned oysters that I ate, but Bumble Bee. I was in the store I bought them in and double-checked this. It was Chicken of the Sea and another brand that had been recalled. Based on my experience, people may want to think twice about the Bumble Bee brand as well.

I passed on the refrigerated oysters I'd mentioned before that I was going to try next. Their sell by date was drawing nigh and I also noticed that they were farmed oysters. I am guessing we are only supposed to be eating wild ones? I couldn't see on the canned oysters I'd bought where it specified whether they were farmed or wild.

gretchen

Dean said:
Yeah, Kiran..that possibility has occured to me too. Maybe it wasn't a reaction to oysters in general...just those particular oysters. I know a few other brands of canned oysters had been recalled recently, so perhaps the Chicken of the Sea ones came from the same place as the other brands.

I probably will give those refrigerated ones I saw the other day a try. I'll only eat a couple, just in case.

I had some kind of reaction to oysters over the weekend also. I started to itch a half an hour after the meal and woke up in the middle of the night sneezing, which continued for a full 24 hours. It could have been the basil. (you have to make oysters tolerable somehow- the dish I make is basil tomatoes with white rice)

Rolan

Dean said:
My nose is starting to look like a pin cushion from all the sugar and dairy.

Cannot for the life of me understand what this means. A pin cushion? :|

Annnywaaayy, with liver it's best to get the younger ones, i.e from a lamb, especially important should they been fed grains. I'm not even convinced Lambs will have been fed grains as I believe they are fed grass for the first 6 months or so. Don't quote me on that. But if the cow is grass-fed, as mine are, then you're ok with those. Liver's very cheap in the UK, presumably 'cos no-one likes it :cool:

I was eating pig's liver earlier in the year, and while palatable, it was pretty strong. Now it's beef liver; I don't add anything to it, simply frying it in butter for a few minutes and I really like it, which surprised me. Looking forward to getting some lamb liver in.

I'd say just stop being a baby and take it like a man(or woman, let's not be sexist here), because Liver is extremely nutrient dense.

Rolan

Dan Wich said:
Edward said:
I eat liver, egg yolks, and oysters raw.
Does cooking destroy some nutrient you find important? Or are you just trying to gross us out? ;)

I'd also like to find a definitive answer to this. I could probably eat eggs and liver raw without much problem, though cooking them makes 'em taste good.

Bluebell

Edward said:
I eat liver, egg yolks, and oysters raw.

Raw liver - I'm interested in this Edward, have often wondered if that's do-able. How do you eat it, & any freezing to kill possible parasites?

Milky

I'm a bit new to the forum, though I've been lurking for a few weeks. I switched fully to Peat eating about 6 weeks ago coming from a year and a half of low-moderate carb paleo/primal. During that time I seemed to have developed an allergy to oysters, as every time I'd eat them I'd feel like I had a fever and had rashy spots show up on my face and arms and my mouth felt cottony (but no swelling). Same thing had started happening with clams, crab and lobster, too. Overall just felt crappy from all of it, but I used to eat them all the time with no problem so it was definitely a bit of a mystery.

I'm happy to report that I just ate 2 dozen this past week along with a couple of softshell blue crabs with no issues whatsover. I've been noticing a lot of improvements since switching to Peat that gave me the confidence to give the oysters a shot and I'm glad I did. I've been steaming them though, as I noticed Peat mentioned somewhere about the risk of hepatitis from eating them raw. I just melt some butter with a pinch of salt in a small bowl as a dip. Right now I feel like I could eat 3 dozen at a time, and taking a cue from Charlie's experience, I may just do that for a bit until the craving goes away. I've really missed them.

As for liver, I usually force myself to eat it pan-fried with a bit of salt, and recently it's gotten even easier to take with a spoonful of honey drizzled on top. I'm interested in trying the blender trick though. I could probably even sneak it down as part of a milkshake like that.

Milky

Oh, and as far as eating raw liver goes, I still think it's safer to at least sear the outside good and quick. I cook steak the same way. Sear it to kill the surface bacteria and the middle can still be pretty much raw, if preferable.

marcar72

I just ate 4 oz of calf liver raw. I had been meaning to try it for awhile now and oddly enough decided a couple days ago to do it on today, liver day. It wasn't near as bad as what I thought it was gonna be like. The first few bites I even chewed on for a bit, the rest I just cut into bite size chunks and swallowed whole. It's really not any different than if you've cooked your liver medium rare before which I had on a couple of occasions. The taste was actually more bland I thought. Chewing it up really didn't accomplish much since it was so flaccid and rubbery.

I've read the reasons for eating liver raw are to preserve all the b vitamins and the little known anti fatigue factor present in raw liver. No one to date has pinpointed what this anti fatigue factor present in liver actually is. It was also more convenient than having to cook it up and eat it. It's suggested if one is going to eat liver raw to be sure to freeze it for atleast 14 days to kill any possible parasites. I was easy swallowing bite size chucks whole since it's so flaccid and without form. One might even try pretending that they're eating beets! :lol:

juanitacarlos

Glad you posted that marcar72. I can't believe you chewed on raw liver - you're a brave man! The smell makes me gag a little lol.

I've got a couple of pound of beef liver in the freezer, all chopped up nice and small, in 6oz lots, ready to eat starting this week. I've decided to freeze them for 14 days - not really sure if that is necessary, but heard it is.

Bluebell

Wow marcar72, that didn't sound too bad. I like the beet tip :D

Did you swallow it after a meal rather than an empty stomach, & did you eat it cold or room temp? Maybe with gulps of milk to chase it down, it could be OK.

If I do it, I think I'll cut into tiny pieces (for easy eating/no chewing) then freeze for 14 days, just the same as ttramone.

Bluebell

Milky said:
I'm a bit new to the forum, though I've been lurking for a few weeks. I switched fully to Peat eating about 6 weeks ago coming from a year and a half of low-moderate carb paleo/primal. During that time I seemed to have developed an allergy to oysters, as every time I'd eat them I'd feel like I had a fever and had rashy spots show up on my face and arms and my mouth felt cottony (but no swelling). Same thing had started happening with clams, crab and lobster, too. Overall just felt crappy from all of it, but I used to eat them all the time with no problem so it was definitely a bit of a mystery.

I'm happy to report that I just ate 2 dozen this past week along with a couple of softshell blue crabs with no issues whatsover. I've been noticing a lot of improvements since switching to Peat that gave me the confidence to give the oysters a shot and I'm glad I did. I've been steaming them though, as I noticed Peat mentioned somewhere about the risk of hepatitis from eating them raw. I just melt some butter with a pinch of salt in a small bowl as a dip. Right now I feel like I could eat 3 dozen at a time, and taking a cue from Charlie's experience, I may just do that for a bit until the craving goes away. I've really missed them.

As for liver, I usually force myself to eat it pan-fried with a bit of salt, and recently it's gotten even easier to take with a spoonful of honey drizzled on top. I'm interested in trying the blender trick though. I could probably even sneak it down as part of a milkshake like that.

Milky, welcome :D and thanks for your comments, great that you got over that allergy. So that was the Peat style eating that helped you get over it I guess.

I still can't find good oysters. Are you buying live ones in their shells, then steaming them still in shell?

Milky

Hi Bluebell, thanks :)

Yes, there's a fresh fish market not too far from me that sells them for $6/dozen in the shell. I just steam them in a bit of water until the lids pop open.

I definitely think it was switching to Peat style eating and getting my temps back up to a normal range that probably helped the most. That and the daily carrot.

marcar72

Bluebell said:
Wow marcar72, that didn't sound too bad. I like the beet tip :D

Did you swallow it after a meal rather than an empty stomach, & did you eat it cold or room temp? Maybe with gulps of milk to chase it down, it could be OK.

If I do it, I think I'll cut into tiny pieces (for easy eating/no chewing) then freeze for 14 days, just the same as ttramone.

I ate it cold on an empty stomach with two cups of gelatin tea to balance out the amino acid profile. I then had 12oz coffee after to inhibit iron absorption. It was probably more bland being cold I'm thinking. It had just finished thawing out in the refrigerator. Swallowing bite size chunks whole wasn't hard at all really. Even chewing it up (or attempting to) wasn't that bad really. It still tasted like liver for the most part. :2cents

Ari

Interesting notion about eating the liver raw. I would do it if the packaging wasn't so idyllic. Too many things have touched that liver before me to get those cuts into place. Right now I just sear them on high heat with butter or ghee. Inside is still pink. No bad taste at all, then again I am used to 'exotic' foods.

I might be able to shed some light on vitamin destruction through cooking.

If I eat 4 eggs that have been cooked sunny side up, my urine stays the same color as it was pre meal. (eating the whole egg)

But if I eat those same 4 eggs yolks raw, my urine goes really yellow, like it would if I took a b-complex vitamin. (eating only the yolks)

Maybe this means that cooking does destroy some things? I'll have to test it more. I only tried it once so far.

I also want to try just eating 4 cooked yolks to see if that is just as beneficial, but i'm not sure, since I regularly place the yolks into my gelatin soups and haven't seen the same 'b vitamin' neon effect.

I looked around quickly online and the first link I found said that neon urine means that you DID absorb the vitamins...

any input?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals