Unidentified Anti-Fatigue Factor in Beef Liver!

youngsinatra

The Weston A. Price Foundation wrote about the anti-fatigue factor and discussed a study that was done to prove the benefits:

Liver’s as-yet-unidentified anti-fatigue factor makes it a favorite with athletes and bodybuilders. The factor was described by Benjamin K. Ershoff, PhD, in a July 1951 article published in the Proceedings for the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. Ershoff divided laboratory rats into three groups. The first ate a basic diet, fortified with 11 vitamins. The second ate the same diet, along with an additional supply of vitamin B complex. The third ate the original diet, but instead of vitamin B complex received 10 percent of rations as powdered liver.

A 1975 article published in Prevention magazine described the experiment as follows: “After several weeks, the animals were placed one by one into a drum of cold water from which they could not climb out. They literally were forced to sink or swim.
Rats in the first group swam for an average 13.3 minutes before giving up.
The second group, which had the added fortifications of B vitamins, swam for an average of 13.4 minutes
Of the last group of rats, the ones receiving liver, three swam for 63, 83 and 87 minutes. The other nine rats in this group were still swimming vigorously at the end of two hours when the test was terminated. Something in the liver had prevented them from becoming exhausted. To this day scientists have not been able to pin a label on this anti-fatigue factor.”

I would guess that the combination of B-vitamins, copper and retinol have a positive effect on energy production by raising ceruloplasmin, which provides bioavailable copper which is so crucial
in Complex IV / Cytochrome C Oxidase in the Electron Transport Chain.

What are your suggestions for the anti-fatigue factor? What are your experiences with beef liver?

Source: SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals
Source: The Liver Files - The Weston A. Price Foundation

tankasnowgod

The Weston A. Price Foundation wrote about the anti-fatigue factor and discussed a study that was done to prove the benefits:

I would guess that the combination of B-vitamins, copper and retinol have a positive effect on energy production by raising ceruloplasmin, which provides bioavailable copper which is so crucial

What are your suggestions for the anti-fatigue factor? What are your experiences with beef liver?

Eating liver often feels energizing. Peat has pointed out that vitamins E and K are also very high in liver, plus there are likely all sorts of undiscovered cofactors in liver that can replenish deficient stores.

Since the liver does a lot of converting of steroids, you might get a decent shot of T3 when eating it, and likely other protective steroids like pregnenolone as well.

mrchibbs

I honestly don't know.

What this highlights I think is the absolutely crucial importance of using whole foods, because we honestly aren't even close to understanding nutrition. As @tankasnowgod mentions, there is bound to be a myriad of undiscovered cofactors in liver.

My personal experience however, is that liver can be incredibly nourishing, especially after years of deficiency, but at some point it can start to have deleterious effects, possibly via the large amounts of vitamin A.

I don't think vitamin A is outright toxic, and large amounts can be metabolized quickly, but in sick/hypo people liver can become detrimental after a while. At least it has been my experience. I don't crave liver anymore, which is a shame because I certainly could use a good source of riboflavin and other nutrients for which liver is the best source.

Liver is probably awesome for children, considering their high metabolic rate and ability to synthesize steroids from the vitamin A. In animal studies, when given a liver extract, young developing animals can overcome inherited deficiencies and this can have positive transgenerational effects.

sugarbabe

I honestly don't know.

What this highlights I think is the absolutely crucial importance of using whole foods, because we honestly aren't even close to understanding nutrition. As @tankasnowgod mentions, there is bound to be a myriad of undiscovered cofactors in liver.

My personal experience however, is that liver can be incredibly nourishing, especially after years of deficiency, but at some point it can start to have deleterious effects, possibly via the large amounts of vitamin A.

I don't think vitamin A is outright toxic, and large amounts can be metabolized quickly, but in sick/hypo people liver can become detrimental after a while. At least it has been my experience. I don't crave liver anymore, which is a shame because I certainly could use a good source of riboflavin and other nutrients for which liver is the best source.

Liver is probably awesome for children, considering their high metabolic rate and ability to synthesize steroids from the vitamin A. In animal studies, when given a liver extract, young developing animals can overcome inherited deficiencies and this can have positive transgenerational effects.
:+1

Wow great post, Im going to test this out before I lift.

Tansia

B vitamins are definitely a big factor here. I've always had a surge of energy after red meat, even the day after I had it. Every time I had a steak or a lamb I've noticed increased power during my volleyball trainings.

David90

I also think it has to do with B-Vitamins and also with Copper. Back in 2019 i was eating small Amounts of Beef Liver Daily for 3 Weeks before a Big Blood Test. I was Energised and Warm from it, most of the Time.

mrchibbs

I also think it has to do with B-Vitamins and also with Copper. Back in 2019 i was eating small Amounts of Beef Liver Daily for 3 Weeks before a Big Blood Test. I was Energised and Warm from it, most of the Time.

If you read the original study, the authors controlled for B-vitamins, so it's something more.