I'm A Liver Lover And A Seafood Hater! Important Clues To Health?

I like to call myself an investigative nutritionist. The more l learn about nutrition and the body, the more I want to learn. What I really love is studying traditional nutrition and medicine...both almost gone the way of the dinosaurs! They are simple and common sensical, something for the common people. The AMA has most people mesmerized under their spell of medical terminology, bizarre sounding drugs, and exhorbitantly expensive (good thing we have insurance, huh???) everything! :soapbox But enough of my soap box...

Now that I am more aware of the simplicity in traditional assessing/diagnosing health concerns, I know there has got to be something to this whole love or hate relationships that people have to liver and seafood. Clearly these foods provide good amounts of important minerals and vitamins, but that's all I got. I imagine the intensity of the feelings towards and against these foods is an important clue too. Personally I ADORE all liver, and ABHORE most seafood. That fishy taste makes me gag pretty quick! But I can manage to almost enjoy a fried cod with plenty of fresh lemon and tartar sauce.

So what clues can these two foods give us? Thanks!!! :greenwave

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Any liver lovers/haters and seafood lovers/haters out there feeling this too??? Do you understand it?

meatbag

Liver can taste fantastic or horrendous depending how fresh it is. I've never really enjoyed fish, but always loved crab, lobster, shrimp, clams, squid, and oysters.

I do think the foods we crave and that taste good are an important signal we should pay attention to. Peat has said on a lot of shows something like "eat what taste good, not what someone tells you to eat" or something along those lines

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
I do think the foods we crave and that taste good are an important signal we should pay attention to.

Agreed! Since Peating I have learned to really hone in on foods that I crave. Thanks Meatbag!

DaveFoster

Hate the taste of liver. The more I eat it, the less bad it gets. Particularly if you sear it, rather than slow cook it, it tastes better.

I used to eat about 8 oz raw liver/day, which probably explains my distaste for it.

lindsay

I "tolerate" liver with cooked onions and LOTS of ketchup. Otherwise, it hits the gag reflex. Seafood, on the other hand, I adore. I grew up in Maine and love clams, lobster, mussels, shrimp, white fish, etc. I don't like oily fishes and hate kippers/sardines. But all the other stuff is wonderful! I don't particularly love oysters raw, but will eat them sometimes for good health. My absolute favorite seafood (which sadly cannot be found unless you are in Florida) is conch fish - I would travel to Key West just to eat conch fish ceviche. It's heavenly.

lvysaur

Personally I ADORE all liver, and ABHORE most seafood. That fishy taste makes me gag pretty quick!

The most important confounding factor is freshness.

Fresh liver tastes better than decayed seafood, and vice versa. If something tastes fishy, it is not fresh.

People dislike liver because it goes bad more quickly than muscle meat, and because it often has traces of bile left inside it. Fresh liver from healthy animals doesn't have this problem.

BobbyDukes

Liver can taste fantastic or horrendous depending how fresh it is. I've never really enjoyed fish, but always loved crab, lobster, shrimp, clams, squid, and oysters.

I do think the foods we crave and that taste good are an important signal we should pay attention to. Peat has said on a lot of shows something like "eat what taste good, not what someone tells you to eat" or something along those lines

Going back to two pipes of Pringles as of tonight. Man, I miss that barbecue flavour followed by sour cream chive

Seriously though, nothing makes my mouth water like Pringles, dominos pizza (with cheese base) and those dips to dunk the dough in (and such things).

I don't crave cabbage or milk.