I Find Beef Liver And Oysters Disgusting

J

j.

Charlie said:
Very cool J! I am just crazy excited about his. :lol: So excited I didnt even know what thread to put this in. :rolling

So yeh, get your liver people!! :hattip

Who knows what other internal things which require vitamin A are also getting fixed.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Exactly J! I was just thinking the same thing. Wondering what else is getting healed up in there. :dance

jyb

Charlie said:
The past 2 weeks I have been eating liver a couple days a week. I now have ZERO acne. This has never ever happened. :rockout

I assume you give a space between days you eat liver, not consecutive days.

It's unfair we hypo guys need to eat that stuff regularly just not to get acne when others can eat junk food everyday without any ever. I suppose its still a much better prospect than before when antibiotics and other treatments were the only hope of just getting it temporarily under control...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kettlebell said:
Probably everything :D
:partydance

jyb said:
I assume you give a space between days you eat liver, not consecutive days.

Yes, I at least give it 1 or 2 days in between.

chris

Charlie - How much liver are you eating each time you have it?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Heck I am not measuring but I will try to start doing so. But I am assuming around 4 ounces at a time, a couple times a week.

Dean

Charlie said:
Heck I am not measuring but I will try to start doing so. But I am assuming around 4 ounces at a time, a couple times a week.

Are you just eating conventionally raised from a grocery store or do you only eat grass-fed. The frozen liver from the grocery store makes me nervous. Then again, I've been putting away alot of conventional milk. Still, not sure about the liver.

J

j.

Ray Peat advised me once to cook and eat the quick-frozen liver as soon as it thaws. He says the taste is better than the liver that is stored unfrozen.

Dean

I'm not so concerned about it being frozen. I'm worried about eating the livers of grain-fed, feed lot animals.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dean said:
Charlie said:

Are you just eating conventionally raised from a grocery store or do you only eat grass-fed. The frozen liver from the grocery store makes me nervous. Then again, I've been putting away alot of conventional milk. Still, not sure about the liver.

I am getting grass fed liver.

Dan W

chris, I find that a pound of frozen beef liver thaws in about 24 hours in the fridge, which works if you plan ahead.

Son Goku

I have tried to consume calf's liver several times but that and kidneys is about the only food I just can not stomach. I literally vomit from the taste. I am not squeamish about animal food, I can consume pigs feet, marrow bones and wierd stuff with no problem. But the taste of liver is just the worst thing in the world. I can stomach liver pate but that is made from pigs liver and will contain less nutrients and more PUFA since it has lard as an ingredient. And this diet lacks anything nice to put such pate on...

I have considered using a dessicated liver supplement but that supposedly lacks the fat-soluble vitamins.

Oysters are delicious, but they have the problem of being too expensive for a student. :D

Dan W

Dean, I too wonder about the quality of grain-fed livers. I buy this grass-fed liver from LocalHarvest. It works out to about $6 a pound, which isn't horrible.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
gretchen said:
I've noticed oysters are hard to digest.

Gretchen, I noticed the same thing to. I ate oysters over 6 hours ago and I am still burping them up. :confused

narouz

Charlie said:
gretchen said:
I've noticed oysters are hard to digest.

Gretchen, I noticed the same thing to. I ate oysters over 6 hours ago and I am still burping them up. :confused

Have you guys every tried them in an Oyster Stew?
Probably my favorite way--and Peat likes it too.
Don't overcook the oysters.
If you've got them in the shell,
clean thoroughly then
steam them in just a tiny bit of water just until they barely open.
Pour the juice out in with the tiny bit of steaming water.
Set aside the oysters.
Pour in some half and half.
Add garlic.
Add some paprika or hot sauce.
Add a teensy bit of celery seed.
Add butter.
Heat slowly until hot but not boiling.
Cut the meat of the oyster from the shell and add to liquid.
Enjoy.
Oh yeah: you might not need salt, depending on how salty your oysters are.
But if you need it, salt is good!

Dean

Dan Wich said:
Dean, I too wonder about the quality of grain-fed livers. I buy this grass-fed liver from LocalHarvest. It works out to about $6 a pound, which isn't horrible.

Thanks for the link, Dan. I'd rather not place a big order right now. Hopefully, I can buy some locally once the farmer's market season gets cranked up again. I was thinking about checking Trader Joe's for a bit to get me by as I do need som. My nose is starting to look like a pin cushion from all the sugar and dairy.

On oysters, I tried oysters for the first time a few weeks ago and had a pretty rough experience and am leery of trying again. It was shortly after restarting Peating and was really struggling with dairy and heartburn from oj. Plus, that day I drank more coffee than I ever had in a day before.

Anyway, I sauteed a can of Chicken of the Sea oysters in butter and ate about half or less. (I didn't have any problem with the taste.) A few hours later, the sickness hit me big time. I threw up in waves for 4 or more hours afterwards. Pretty much everything I'd consumed that day even before the oysters came up, stringy mucus and at the end it was pure bile. That leads me to believe it wasn't an allergic reaction to the oysters, but acid reflux or a perfect storm of some sort. I did have some pain or discomfort on the back of my tongue which causes me to not discount an allergic reaction of some sort completely. But I had no rash or swelling as far as I could tell.

So, should I give it another go? I'd hate to rule out oysters based on that one experience when it could have been other factors involved. The other day I saw a small plastic container in the refrigerated seafood section of small, fresh shucked oysters packed in water. Perhaps that's a better option than the canned. I could fry up just one or two and see how it goes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks narouz! Gonna give that a shot. Anything to make this oyster experience a more pleasant one.

Holy cow Dean! :eek: