Color Blindness Cured With Beef Liver?

souperhuman

After I started eating beef liver for my acne, I noticed a kind of peculiar side effect, especially around the first month I started. I could pass color blindness tests. I have taken the same test dozens and dozens of times before eating any liver, I always get diagnosed as a deutan (enchroma site). When I was eating liver, I would notice kind of a strange visual acuity around two or three hours after eating it. For various reasons I stopped eating liver for about a month, and when I started again I could not pass the color blindness test as consistently anymore. Before, I could pass it on any computer or any screen, any test too (I tried several different ones).
I looked into it some more, turns out the US army did research on vitamin A treating color blindness in pilots during WW2. One study says that the vitamin A had an effect, while others did not find any improvement. It seems to have been written off and forgotten about, but I believe the effect was real. Obviously, it is not just the vitamin A at play here, there is something else it is interacting with.
It has been almost a year, and occasionally after I eat beef liver I can pass the color blindness tests. I think this must be something to do with calcium metabolism, or the interaction between vitamin A and maybe vitamin D? Maybe magnesium? When I first noticed the effect, I think I was taking around 10k IU oral vit D too, which I have since stopped in favor of direct sunlight. Without the liver, I fail this test every single time. I have tried removing liver from diet and adding it back in. It is definitely a necessary piece of the puzzle. Has anyone else noticed something like this, alterations in vision due to vit A? It would be cool to cure color blindness, then I could finally get a pilot's license lol.

youngsinatra

How much liver did you eat to get this effect? Maybe try making frozen liver "pills" at home - that way you can swallow 10-20g of beef liver with a glass of OJ or a cup of coffee each day.
I really enjoy how liver makes me feel - clear headed, energetic, warm. I just don't like the taste of liver. That's the reason why I take dessicated beef liver or self-made freezed liver pills / cubes.

OP
S

souperhuman

I was eating around 4 oz. of liver every other day when the effect was most noticeable.

Quelsatron

I feel like a similar effect has something to do with dopamine or something similar. Back last fall I foolishly used to take a bunch of supplements (because of the promising "just take this and you'll be saved!" hope, stupidly). Anyway I got really tired and an-libidous, and something about the sharpness of my vision seemed impaired, with excess visual snow and a weird grayness. Stopping supplements seemed to improve it, as did getting sunlight. I haven't tried LSD, but I know psychedelics make your vision become amazing even in very small doses, and I imagine it's an extreme on the scale between greyness and visual snow and sharpness and clarity. Vitamin D is dopaminergic, and vitamin A is a cofactor of many of vitamin Ds effects, so that might be why liver improved this for you (or any of the other nutrients in liver). Other than that it might be the retinol making it's work on the retina in a more photoreceptor sense.

Nomane Euger

I feel like a similar effect has something to do with dopamine or something similar. Back last fall I foolishly used to take a bunch of supplements (because of the promising "just take this and you'll be saved!" hope, stupidly). Anyway I got really tired and an-libidous, and something about the sharpness of my vision seemed impaired, with excess visual snow and a weird grayness. Stopping supplements seemed to improve it, as did getting sunlight. I haven't tried LSD, but I know psychedelics make your vision become amazing even in very small doses, and I imagine it's an extreme on the scale between greyness and visual snow and sharpness and clarity. Vitamin D is dopaminergic, and vitamin A is a cofactor of many of vitamin Ds effects, so that might be why liver improved this for you (or any of the other nutrients in liver). Other than that it might be the retinol making it's work on the retina in a more photoreceptor sense.
Thé Day after the first time I ate honey comb,my color vision was « pastel »like,insane

OP
S

souperhuman

Huh, I didn't think about dopamine but I think you might be on to something. The visual clarity was often accompanied by slight euphoria, especially if the liver was a little undercooked (tastes so much better too). I have never tried LSD either, but maybe it's worth trying it for enhanced color vision.

Quelsatron

Huh, I didn't think about dopamine but I think you might be on to something. The visual clarity was often accompanied by slight euphoria, especially if the liver was a little undercooked (tastes so much better too). I have never tried LSD either, but maybe it's worth trying it for enhanced color vision.
I mean, I think dopamines effect on vision is pretty well established, as is serotonins (a dopamine rival) or at least depression/"anti"depressants. How many depression sufferers haven't said how everything seemed to look gray and dull?

Hans' has written an article where liver is included as a dopamine boosting food as well: 17 Best Dopamine sky-rocketing Foods » MENELITE

Fred

I believe the B vitamins are crucial in eye health - Ray had an article "Aging Eyes..." something like that, where he discusses it. And beef liver is high in B vits, especially riboflavin. It also has a lot of other stuff in there which may help. I noticed that my tooth-sensitivity disappeared right away when I started consuming it.

Mastemah

Yes Ive done this w clients, liver and bright sunlight. Interestingly, many cases of colorblindness involve contrast error which also responds to vitamin A. Whenever I have a colorblind person, I take them outside in the sun to see if bright sunlight improves their abilities with color.
Keep in mind hypothyroidism promotes photophobia (generally protecting eyes from pufa oxidation due to bright light). So they go together.

Quelsatron

I'm just gonna make a interesting update: i've been vitamin d deficient and have supplemented with D, magnesium and liver. I started liver just a few days ago, and yesterday when going out I was confronted with the immense visual beauty of well, everything. It was absurd, probably a taste of what it was like being on low dose psychedelics.

ursidae

After I started eating beef liver for my acne, I noticed a kind of peculiar side effect, especially around the first month I started. I could pass color blindness tests. I have taken the same test dozens and dozens of times before eating any liver, I always get diagnosed as a deutan (enchroma site). When I was eating liver, I would notice kind of a strange visual acuity around two or three hours after eating it. For various reasons I stopped eating liver for about a month, and when I started again I could not pass the color blindness test as consistently anymore.
What did it do for your skin and what were the reasons you stopped ?

OP
S

souperhuman

What did it do for your skin and what were the reasons you stopped ?
Initially, there was a large improvement. I recovered from a terrible cough I had for over a month, and my skin was getting better and the large cysts I had disappeared. This was when I was also experience increased color perception. I kind of thought my acne was "cured" at this point and my vitamin A stores were high enough, so I thought I would lay off the beef liver for a while. However, my acne quickly worsened (within around 2 weeks), and color perception also back to previous levels. Also I stopped oral vitamin D because I thought it was giving me indigestion. Restarting liver consumption did not improve this very much, if at all. It kind of just stopped working. I actually continued eating liver once a week until about a month ago, mostly because I like the taste of it and it's a quick and easy meal if you cook it right. The only thing that improved my skin was increasing sun exposure. Now, I am fairly sure that the high doses of vitamin A I was eating needed equally high doses of vitamin D, without which the vitamin A acts as a toxin and actually makes acne worse. The apparent success I was having before was due to the D 10-20k IU that I was taking in combination with the liver.
These are high doses of vitamin D, which I don't think are attainable without supplementation or being outside all day. For the last 6 months or so, I have been getting around an hour of sun per day. I haven't had vitamin D levels checked, but I'm guessing they are okay. Recently, I took another month-long break from eating liver. My skin actually improved, basically no acne. When I tried eating some again, the days after I broke out with a few large cysts, when before I had clear skin. I did manage to pass color blindness tests though within a few hours of eating the liver, but this was gone by the next day.
I am coming to the conclusion that vitamin A can be powerful at fighting infections and stopping bacterial growth on skin, as long as it has vitamin D. However, I don't think the amount of vitamin D I get from the sun (even an hour of tanning) is enough for therapeutic vitamin A dosages, especially the dosages that alter color perception. At these high dosages, the vitamin A can be pretty detrimental without D.
For this reason, I don't know if it is worth eating a lot of beef liver, just a few bites every week or so is probably enough. Maybe if you are suffering from some kind of severe infection, you could eat more with supplemented vit D. Supplementing vitamin D comes with it's own drawbacks, but if I were doing it again I would opt for topical application.

OP
S

souperhuman

Just an update. I have recently upped my vitamin D dose to around 40k iu per day split into two doses (morning and sometime after lunch, never in evening). Since starting, for the first few days I have consistently scored color deficient in the morning, and then normal color vision about an hour or two after the last vitamin D dose. This morning, I was able to score normal color vision before my first dose of D. I will probably continue at this level for at least another month. Also, I have been drinking at least four or five cups of coffee every day, which I think is also pro-dopamine.
Honestly I'm a bit angry that color blindness is just dismissed as genetic in cause, I am positive it is basically hypothyroidism and vitamin D deficiency. Meanwhile, they are already developing genetic therapies to treat it (that will go well I'm sure). It definitely was not always thought of as genetic. I always wanted to get a pilot's license, maybe if my results stay consistent I will try to get one.

rei

I cured my "reduced color vision" (classified as blindness) by correcting my bad posture/fascial tension. Since i have seen pronounced effect during the posture repair process from vitamin d among other things, i think it might be helping in reducing your excessive tension in fascial lines. But i warn you, if you don't don the necessary exrecises to straighten your spine/remove the posture issue, then all effects will always be temporary and depending on the modification of physiology of your current diet. Or things get worse, and even it won't help.

I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis though, at least some forms of color blindness are not genetic.