How do you get enough iodine in your diet?

Green Dot

Assuming you guys are avoiding silicon dioxide then most iodized salt seems to be out of the question.

So, then, how do you go about getting sufficient iodine?

The iodine content in milk seems very variable.

redsun

Assuming you guys are avoiding silicon dioxide then most iodized salt seems to be out of the question.

So, then, how do you go about getting sufficient iodine?

The iodine content in milk seems very variable.
The variability of iodine content is a problem if you dont drink that much milk or avoid milk completely due to intolerance. It would be hard to get enough with eating a lot of cheese because cheese loses a significant amount of its iodine content because of water loss from processing.

Eggs have pretty consistent iodine content of ~25 mcg per egg. So depending how many eggs you eat that can make a difference. You can always get a good quality supplement online. NaturesPlus has a good tablet form. Almost no one eats seafood daily and in the quantities needed to get enough iodine from that alone.

Giraffe

Eggs have pretty consistent iodine content of ~25 mcg per egg. So depending how many eggs you eat that can make a difference.

I remember that the iodine content of different store bought eggs was once checked in Germany. IIRC there was a factor of 5 between the lowest and the highest content.

This Chech study found a huge variability too.

Sitaruîm

Coarse salt in Argentina is fortified with iodine and, for obvious reasons, doesn't contain silicon dioxide. Try looking for fortified coarser salt and using a pepper mill.

AlaskaJono

Kombu kelp is #1, and other seaweeds are #2, I believe. Then shrimp/shellfish dairy, etc. . Also lugol's iodine, which yes it is true Ray did not approve of. I suspect the Recommended amount by the Alphabet agency is on the order of 20-50X too low. Just my opinion. If you believe you are low, then eat a sheet of Nori and use Kombu in your cooking 5X week for a few weeks. Or a few to many drops of Lugol's. Your mileage may vary.

If you drink fluoridated water, then that has 'pushed' the iodine out, and you may need to supplement a longer time to bring back to balance.
http://health-science-spirit.com/Healing_the_Body/Iodine.html
This is from Walter Last, who died in 2021. He was old school, and practical at the very least. Worth a look. Cheers.

GTW

Supposedly iodine in milk is partly result of iodine teat wash absorbed by the cow's udder. If it is used.
Typical iodine consumption in Japan is 2-4 mg per day from seaweed.
I take a capsule, vitamin D, K2, seaweed iodine.

Servier

I've read in Stan Eferding's book (The vertical diet) that for that matter, he recommends cranberry juice every day, and I quote :

"Stan recommends another easy solution to this. You can get +300% of your daily recommended dose of iodine by simply having 3 oz of cranberry juice (not from concentrate) in the morning. Cranberry juice is a great source of iodine and is rich in antioxidants. Stan recommends having it in the morning too, as having it too close to bedtime may affect your sleep."

Great option for those who can't digest milk.

GTW

I could not pinpoint this. No doubt cranberries from coastal areas are high in iodine. But the largest single producer is Wisconsin. Where does the iodine come from there?

Logan-

Logan-

Coarse salt in Argentina is fortified with iodine and, for obvious reasons, doesn't contain silicon dioxide. Try looking for fortified coarser salt and using a pepper mill.
That’s something to look for.

AlaskaJono

That is a great thread. Thanks matey! I must say that when I did do a macro mineral top up, when I was turning 50 y/o, and used Lugol's iodine daily up to 50 mg daily for 6 months, then tapered down for another six months to the one drop @day, we were living/drinking with pure rain water in a fairly pristine environment (ie- no fluoride in drinking/cooking water and no chlorine too...). The Halide group and displacement of iodine by bromine/fluorine I believe is totally valid re @burtlancast s postings referred to in the above thread from 7 years ago. I rarely eat bread for many years, and mostly had non fluoridated water, and relatively low PUFA diet. So back to the aspects of trial and error, experimentation, as maybe some folks can only do small amounts over long periods of time.

I completely agree that the Iodine supplementation by painting the skin with a drop or two is bordering on the Mythology. Maybe 1-10% gets absorbed, and it certainly isn't a test for 'loading' as Pete says. Actually he stated 'Brainless".

Also of note that in the 1800s Doctors use of Iodine was in amounts of 500mg daily or more for a 10 days treatment regime in acute cases where there was no other treatment available or applicable with many positive accounts. Yes people were tougher back then, and they had other issues than we have now like goiter and syphilis.

Your mileage may vary. Cheers.

David PS

I could not pinpoint this. No doubt cranberries from coastal areas are high in iodine. But the largest single producer is Wisconsin. Where does the iodine come from there?
goiter_belt.jpg

Cranberries are also a big business in the northeast. Just like real estate, it about location, location, location

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals