Excess iodine (kelp and iodized salt)?

Ippodrom47

Well, that's quite a long story but I'll try to be as succinct as possible. Male, 31.
I've been having quite a lot of health related issues for the past year and a half, namely low WBC, bile reflux gastritis, fatigue, gut infection, dry skin, dandruff, low libido, constipation, low body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. Several months ago, it got worse with runny nose and very dry hands and feet. Also, carotenemia.
There definitely were several factors causing my condition, such as overtraining and living in a moldy apartment at the time.
But it struck me not so long ago that it was around the time my issues started to manifest that I began actively using iodized salt. I added it to meats, side dishes, eggs, salads. Also, my workspace canteen had shakers with iodized salt on every table. Then, having read about the importance of iodine and how lots of people in Russia are deficient, I added dried kelp chips to my diet. Yes, and fish, too. I liked salty foods and was adding iodized salt even to store-purchased foods. I also ordered kelp supplements.
All in all, my heath noticeably deteriorated last fall. I started having food sensitivities I'd never had before, and carotenemia kicked in as well. I was feeling cold all the time, and once was literally shaking when riding subway to a meeting. My T4 and T3 were below normal, while TSH was ok.
Around three weeks ago I finally realized that maybe my iodine intake was a bit too much. I cut out kelp supplements and iodized salt. My hands are no longer extremely dry, the runny nose issue has gone, my energy levels seem to get better.
The thing is, I never consumed too much iodine as a child or prior to that terrible experience. Sure, I ate eggs, some fish, a bit of seaweed here and there, but never used iodized salt or kelp supplements. Can it be that my body is used to functioning on little iodine and does not need more of it? After all, I'm 31 and it's definitely seems a bit too late to change hormonal patterns or whatever.
I don't know how much time is needed for my body to finally get back to normal as my stomach and urinary mucosa are still inflamed and irritated but I have some hope.
Thanks for reading this piece of crappy personal story :)

Well, that's quite a long story but I'll try to be as succinct as possible. Male, 31.
I've been having quite a lot of health related issues for the past year and a half, namely low WBC, bile reflux gastritis, fatigue, gut infection, dry skin, dandruff, low libido, constipation, low body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. Several months ago, it got worse with runny nose and very dry hands and feet. Also, carotenemia.
There definitely were several factors causing my condition, such as overtraining and living in a moldy apartment at the time.
But it struck me not so long ago that it was around the time my issues started to manifest that I began actively using iodized salt. I added it to meats, side dishes, eggs, salads. Also, my workspace canteen had shakers with iodized salt on every table. Then, having read about the importance of iodine and how lots of people in Russia are deficient, I added dried kelp chips to my diet. Yes, and fish, too. I liked salty foods and was adding iodized salt even to store-purchased foods. I also ordered kelp supplements.
All in all, my heath noticeably deteriorated last fall. I started having food sensitivities I'd never had before, and carotenemia kicked in as well. I was feeling cold all the time, and once was literally shaking when riding subway to a meeting. My T4 and T3 were below normal, while TSH was ok.
Around three weeks ago I finally realized that maybe my iodine intake was a bit too much. I cut out kelp supplements and iodized salt. My hands are no longer extremely dry, the runny nose issue has gone, my energy levels seem to get better.
The thing is, I never consumed too much iodine as a child or prior to that terrible experience. Sure, I ate eggs, some fish, a bit of seaweed here and there, but never used iodized salt or kelp supplements. Can it be that my body is used to functioning on little iodine and does not need more of it? After all, I'm 31 and it's definitely seems a bit too late to change hormonal patterns or whatever.
I don't know how much time is needed for my body to finally get back to normal as my stomach and urinary mucosa are still inflamed and irritated but I have some hope.
Thanks for reading this piece of crappy personal story :)
Sorry you are having such a terrible time Ippo. There was a post that fellow member, Mr. Bollox, put out recently, with a collection of questions with answers that he has written to Ray Peat about over a long period of time and this one sticks out to me for you, about iodine, with his answer being, "No, I have never recommended several milligram doses of iodide, and I have often pointed out the damage to the thyroid gland that even moderate iodide supplements can cause."
I am thinking that is probably a big answer to your big problem. What to do now, is a bigger question.

Here are a couple more answers from Ray Peat to Mr. Bollox...

"If someone had leprosy, scrofula, syphilis or unexplained granulomas and couldn’t get appropriate things such as penicillin, then a short trial of iodine wouldn’t be crazy. Medical use can’t be extrapolated to chronic large doses as a nutritional supplement. Have you seen the many studies of the hamful effects on the thyroid of regular iodide supplementation?"

"Used occasionally as a topical antiseptic, tincture of iodine is safe. Historically iodide has been used to treat a breast infection. That’s very different from the cult of daily use of large amounts of iodide, started by Guy Abraham." (he attached like 70 studies along with this comment)"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals