How do I time green vegetable consumtion to avoid side effects?

TiredofLies

Everything I eat has some calcium so I avoid kale and other green vegetables so it doesn't sap me of those nutrients. But kale and spinach still have nutrients that I want, how long do I have to wait to eat them without damaging me?

YuraCZ

I lack only vitamin K1 from the green vegetables which I don't eat. But I take thorne vit k2 so I'm not sure if vit k1 is essential as well as K2..

EnoreeG

TiredofLies said:
Everything I eat has some calcium so I avoid kale and other green vegetables so it doesn't sap me of those nutrients. But kale and spinach still have nutrients that I want, how long do I have to wait to eat them without damaging me?

I'm not sure that your question is exactly what to do about oxalates in veggies, but I'll answer as though it is.

How long to wait before eating them? You mean you want to eat them separate from a meal which has calcium that you don't want tied up? I'm guessing you eat them in a separate meal, without the calcium sources you like. Personally, I eat some greens like spinach with some butter, and that's it for that meal, and it will be about 4 hours before the next meal. I don't think it needs to be that long though. Cooking won't get rid of more than 15% of the oxalates. If you don't go to the trouble of separating the high oxalate food from a main meal though, you are only risking losing some/all the minerals from that one meal, depending on the size of the vegetable portion. For most people this is no big thing. Waste the minerals, get the vitamins. People waste vitamins and enzymes every time they cook something, but don't worry about it. So what if you lose a few minerals?

But if I want some spinach in a salad, I will throw it in every day and not worry about it because it is a minor part of the salad.

But you can get greens and not risk losing very much of the minerals, even with some kinds of kale. Check this for what foods have less oxalates: (keep in mind it's for those who've decided to minimize oxalates)

http://lowoxalateinfo.com/guide-to-low-oxalate-greens/

This is also interesting:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48

jyb

If you want to extract K from kale, you can do a vegetable broth (only keep the water at the end). Same for boiled sliced potatoes - in fact the potato has lost most of it to the water after only 10 minutes.

Those would then be in high amount and easily absorbed, so if you were worried about a clash with other foods...

Amazoniac

Leafy green broth are probably for minerals. Most of vit K is lost since it's fat-soluble. This has been discussed before somewhere in the forum.
I don't think that you have to worry that much about calcium since is a very abudant mineral. I know that it's likely to bind oxalates, but it's better to focus on the nutrients required for the proper mineral assimilation and metabolism. The organism favour the absorption of the ones that you are lacking and tends to discart those that are in excess - at least to some degree.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals