What Do You Think Of My Vegan Diet?

OP
W

welshwing

"Primitives." I didn't know people still used that term.

Your diet seems fine, but Peat recommends against starch. If you must eat it, then coconut oil will mitigate the harmful effects, and you'll have the cheapest diet on the planet.
I meant no disrepsect with that.

Dopamine

A starch based diet is not ideal due to serotonin release and other issues and there is no way you can get enough protein without meat and dairy unless you are supplementing protein... You would need to eat 20-25 potatoes per day to get into the range of a healthy protein intake which is ridiculous... Also this diet sounds boring, overly restrictive, and unsustainable. Personally I haven't found the additives in dairy to be a problem at all. I think there is no reason to avoid dairy unless it is really causing you problems. I like low(ish) fat white mozzarella. If you follow this diet you probably won't end up eating enough calories and protein which is not savvy with Peats nutritional philosophy.

Last edited:

Giraffe

Mushrooms are very high, and potatoes are also quite high in cupeer.
I agree on mushrooms. They seem to have a decent amount of copper, some even a very high one.

To get enough zinc and protein seems the bigger challenge.

tara

Vitamin A is converted by a healthy person from carotene.
Yes, but I don't know that this applies to all of us here, or to the OP in particular.

and K3, a synthetic form that is available only by prescription
and which may be poisonous, so probably best not supplemented.

Since vitamin K is widely available in foods and made in our bodies, supplements are necessary only in cases of malabsorption or medical disorders
Which may apply to a few of us here.

Vitamin K2 can also be made in the liver, pancreas, and other organs, showing we do convert K1 to K2 and K4 as well as the remaining K vitamins:
Which those of us with struggling livers or pancreas may plausibly also struggle with.

If you follow this diet you probably won't end up eating enough calories and protein ...
That looks like one of the biggest risks to me too.

milk_lover

Of course @Westside PUFAs will comment on any thread that has "vegan" in the title :grinning:

Whatever you do vegan advocates, please don't force your ideologies on us. BTW, tara was just giving people a reasonable warning about vitamin K3 since you just mentioned people need prescription to get it without warning people about it.

Of course @Westside PUFAs will comment on any thread that has "vegan" in the title :grinning:

I eat skim/low fat goat dairy tho. And very lean bison.

Whatever you do vegan advocates, please don't force your ideologies on us.

No one is forcing anything. The OP eats a vegan diet and she was asking for opinions. That's all.

BTW, tara was just giving people a reasonable warning about vitamin K3 since you just mentioned people need prescription to get it without warning people about it.

Yea but you could say that about any rX. What of cyproheptadine, penicillin v, Diamox, and thyroid rX? That's why I asked her what she meant.

tara

Yea but you could say that about any rX. What of cyproheptadine, penicillin v, Diamox, and thyroid rX? That's why I asked her what she meant.
Those other prescriptions probably all have a valid use cases. But they are not part of basic nutrition that everyone needs. Everyone needs to absorb some vit-K1 or vit-K2 (whether it's by eating it or hosting bacteria that make it, or by transdermal supplementation). I'm not aware that there is ever good reason for deliberately taking vit-K3? As far as I know it only has down sides? Since you talked about the three forms of vit-K together, that's why I made this distinction.

You would need to eat 20-25 potatoes per day to get into the range of a healthy protein intake which is ridiculous...

The true protein of potatoes is not known due to lack of nutritional research on keto-acids and how they interact with ammonia in the body:

"Kasra: "Dr. Peat, In one of your articles, you mention that fruits contain "carbon
skeleton" equivalents of the essential amino acids. Does this mean that the actual protein content of a fruit could be substantially greater than what a nutrition database says?"

Peat: "Yes, the way a potato's effective protein content is much higher than the chemical protein content."

Kasra: "Could this mitigate the problem of protein deficiency on an all-fruit diet?"

Peat: "Yes, but since there isn't much known about their ketoacid content, it would be best to have a wide variety of fruits. A couple of times in the last ten years I've started a project to test some fruits, but because of the new laws since 2001, I haven't able to buy the necessary reagents. It would have to be done in some government approved institution."

Kasra's Q & A with Peat on a fruitarian diet.

"They aren't on a low protein diet. Potatoes are full of keto acids. I asked Ray about just getting my protein exclusively from potatoes on November 30th 2015

Me: "I'm going to be moving to an area that doesn't have any good animal proteins, do you think replacing animal protein with potatoes would work because of their keto acid content? Thank you very much!"

Ray: "Yes, people in New Guinea who eat nothing but potatoes for 51 weeks of the year (and pork the other week) have been studied and found to be healthy with no signs of protein deficiency."

Papua New Guinea - Sweet Potato Diet

Dopamine

The true protein of potatoes is not known due to lack of nutritional research on keto-acids and how they interact with ammonia in the body:

"Kasra: "Dr. Peat, In one of your articles, you mention that fruits contain "carbon
skeleton" equivalents of the essential amino acids. Does this mean that the actual protein content of a fruit could be substantially greater than what a nutrition database says?"

Peat: "Yes, the way a potato's effective protein content is much higher than the chemical protein content."

Kasra: "Could this mitigate the problem of protein deficiency on an all-fruit diet?"

Peat: "Yes, but since there isn't much known about their ketoacid content, it would be best to have a wide variety of fruits. A couple of times in the last ten years I've started a project to test some fruits, but because of the new laws since 2001, I haven't able to buy the necessary reagents. It would have to be done in some government approved institution."

Kasra's Q & A with Peat on a fruitarian diet.

"They aren't on a low protein diet. Potatoes are full of keto acids. I asked Ray about just getting my protein exclusively from potatoes on November 30th 2015

Me: "I'm going to be moving to an area that doesn't have any good animal proteins, do you think replacing animal protein with potatoes would work because of their keto acid content? Thank you very much!"

Ray: "Yes, people in New Guinea who eat nothing but potatoes for 51 weeks of the year (and pork the other week) have been studied and found to be healthy with no signs of protein deficiency."

Papua New Guinea - Sweet Potato Diet

That's some interesting info. I didn't know that.

OP
W

welshwing

Ice cream or milk is okay if this gets boring :) But potatoes aren't very boring since you can cook and season them in many ways. Yes, all of my "semi-vegan" diet ideas is taken from the user WestSide PUFA's very informative posts and this quote by Ray Peat

"Two pounds of well-cooked mashed potato has the protein value similar to a liter of milk, about 33 grams of protein. A person would be able to live for a long time on two or three liters of either milk or 4-6 pounds of potatoes per day. The milk drinker would eventually need to supplement iron, the potato eaters would need to supplement vitamin A, possibly B12, but both of them are nearly perfect foods."

Thank you for your translations of Ray Peat's research, W P.

"Potatoes are the only vegetable protein which is of quality equal to egg yolk. It's actually a little higher in quality because it contains precursors to the essential amino acids; it has more protein in effect than it actually has in substance. And people misjudge potatoes because they are given as 2 to 4%, because wet potatoes are measured, where beans are measured in the dry state and have 40% protein, but...you have to divide the bean protein by 10 to make it equivalent to potatoes."

The Thyroid, 1996, Gary Null radio show

Eric Yim

E
Hi, I have tailored a Ray Peat inspired diet for me that's vegan. Mostly potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggie broth and a carrot.

I know sweet potatoes aren't recommended but I don't think they're bad since I've seen primitives eat them in abundance and stay healthy.

The reason I do this is I stopped eating meat seeing no reason to. The occasional oysters are okay but expensive. Now I want to stop drinking milk and eating cheese because I think they're only good for calcium and with kale broth you get calcium. It's hard to find milk or cheese without bad ingredients that cause stomach problems. Potatoes have perfect nutrition and Ray Peat said potatoes & mushrooms have high quality protein so meat is unneeded.

It's only vegan by coincidence, not for a moral reason but it sounds cool to be a "vegan Peatarian". Tell me if you think this diet is okay. Thanks
Eat 3/4 of a brazil nut everyday, buy some dulse seaweed and take a pinch in your mouth everyday. This addition will supply your body with enough selenium and iodine. Eat coconut oil, salt, and more fruit. Try to incorporate spinach into broths to get more magnesium, calcium, manganese, vitamin a, etc. Well cooked leafy vegetables are your friend if you are plantpeating. You should try grits with coconut oil, salt, cinnamon, and apple or a fruit of your choice on top. This snack is extremely warming.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals