How Can I Improve Glycogen Storage?

YuraCZ

It seems like people here don't want to see this "move with your body" opinion because they simply hates sports... :roll:

Amazoniac

..or the other way around.
I was just considering the fact that with muscle building you increase your glycogen storage but you also increase the expenditures. So that might even out..
It's not that hard to manipulate diet and lifestyle to get a faster metabolism. But what most people here - and including me - are looking for is efficient metabolism.
And I'm not against exercise or sports, in fact the opposite!

YuraCZ

Amazoniac said:
..or the other way around.
I was just considering the fact that with muscle building you increase your glycogen storage but you also increase the expenditures. So that might even out..
It's not that hard to manipulate diet and lifestyle to get a faster metabolism. But what most people here - and including me - are looking for is efficient metabolism.
And I'm not against exercise or sports, in fact the opposite!
Are you sure? Maybe for healthy people..

OP
F

freyasam

Can people start a new thread when they want to discuss something irrelevant to the original post? I updated this with specific questions to my own situation.

Amazoniac

The discussion hasn't deviated from your concern.
Besides that, poor glycogen storage in your case seems like an assumption. What if your period of paleo dieting was malnourished. I don't know if you went too low carb, but if you did, it's very common to experience malnourishment because you cannot metabolize proteins and fats properly if you were not getting enough carbs. What's supposed to be used to restructure the organism could have gone to produce energy. So, now that you are getting proper nutrition, you are repairing the damage/structure.
Hopefully you didn't go to the other end of the extremity: too low in the right types of fat. And one aspect that they contribute to is satiation and blood sugar regulation, both of them can be playing a role in your issue.
Regarding the glycogen, I don't know how to improve it. I would do what I already mentioned: daily fasts with adequate nutrition. There's probably going to be an stress response until your body adapts to that. And if it doesn't adapts, drop it!

EIRE24

Amazoniac said:
The discussion hasn't deviated from your concern.
Besides that, poor glycogen storage in your case seems like an assumption. What if your period of paleo dieting was malnourished. I don't know if you went too low carb, but if you did, it's very common to experience malnourishment because you cannot metabolize proteins and fats properly if you were not getting enough carbs. What's supposed to be used to restructure the organism could have gone to produce energy. So, now that you are getting proper nutrition, you are repairing the damage/structure.
Hopefully you didn't go to the other end of the extremity: too low in the right types of fat. And one aspect that they contribute to is satiation and blood sugar regulation, both of them can be playing a role in your issue.
Regarding the glycogen, I don't know how to improve it. I would do what I already mentioned: daily fasts with adequate nutrition. There's probably going to be an stress response until your body adapts to that. And if it doesn't adapts, drop it!

I agree that probably malnourishment has some part to play in it. I know it did for me. I think that going low in fat is definitely not as bad as going low in carbs but I've done both and felt ***t on both. I think it's best to obviously balance meals with all 3 macros to keep blood sugar stable. Also, I think the diet should be more directed towards carbs rather than any other macro just because it's most metabolically stimulating, that's in my experience.

tara

YuraCZ said:
tara said:
YuraCZ said:
How can I improve glycogen storage? Build some muscles!!
That build muscle glycogen storage, right? Which is great. But that glycogen is only available for running the muscles. I think there may also be a need to improve liver glycogen storage, since this is what runs the rest of the body and brain. I don't thin building muscle automatically does this?
MORE MUSCLE = FASTER METABOLISM.. Isn't that main goal for Peat and people here?
You must be active and burn some calories with physical activity to be healthy.. Just take thyroid, coffee, aspirin etc.. looks like easy way but It doesn't work like that..
Freyasam can speak for herself, but I, and I think many, want improved health and functioning. I'm not arguing against doing some exercise (or preferably more meaningful movement) at a level that is suitable for our current health (which varies). My point is that there is a separate problem that building muscles and muscle glycogen doesn't automatically address: that is, the problem of being able to store enough liver glycogen to sustain good functioning.

OP
F

freyasam

tara said:
Freyasam can speak for herself, but I, and I think many, want improved health and functioning. I'm not arguing against doing some exercise (or preferably more meaningful movement) at a level that is suitable for our current health (which varies). My point is that there is a separate problem that building muscles and muscle glycogen doesn't automatically address: that is, the problem of being able to store enough liver glycogen to sustain good functioning.

Yes, exactly. In any case I get debilitating fatigue and muscle weakness from lifting weights or other exertion. So it's a moot point for me.

natedawggh

freyasam said:
tara said:
How far have you really tested this? What happens if you really keep eating when you are hungry? What happens if you eat little or no starch for a day or two, and keep eating lots of sugars (ie fruit, milk, honey, maybe a bit of sucrose) until you are no longer hungry? Is it really impossible, or does it just seem a lot? How much would that be? Any negative reactions?

I've had this symptom for over 4 years, so I've tested it quite a bit. I pretty much have to keep eating when I'm hungry; otherwise I feel severely nauseous and adrenalinized (tachycardia, anixety/panic).

On certain days (particularly days 10-24 of my cycle, peaking around ovulation days 16-18), however, it sometimes feels like no amount of food can satiate me. Like I'll just eat practically everything in my refrigerator before bed so the adrenaline will go down enough so I can sleep, and it's just not enough. Or I fall asleep, then wake up 4 hours later ravenously hungry. It's a nightmare.

Yes, I've gone with no starch up to three weeks. It makes no difference with this issue. It doesn't seem to make any difference at all whether I get carbs from starch or sugar.

When I've asked Dr Peat about this, he has suggested b vitamins (which I took for months and saw no change) and thyroid supplementation (which I cannot tolerate).

I have been taking Uridine. It seems to have worked to increase my glycogen storage. Whereas I was ALWAYS hungry before taking it, having to eat or drink orange juice every hour or two, I now go about three or four hours inbetween meals. Taking Uridine the first time made me VERY sleepy, so I only take it at night. It also seems to have improved some of my nervous system as some sensations feel stronger than they used to.

Also... taking enough PROTEIN would help this, as your liver is damaged and increased protein will help it repair. I use casein powder and it's great, especially because it's low in tryptophan, and it is a "slow release" protein, giving you a stream of amino acids for hours and hours.

ravster02

natedawggh said:
freyasam said:
tara said:
How far have you really tested this? What happens if you really keep eating when you are hungry? What happens if you eat little or no starch for a day or two, and keep eating lots of sugars (ie fruit, milk, honey, maybe a bit of sucrose) until you are no longer hungry? Is it really impossible, or does it just seem a lot? How much would that be? Any negative reactions?

I've had this symptom for over 4 years, so I've tested it quite a bit. I pretty much have to keep eating when I'm hungry; otherwise I feel severely nauseous and adrenalinized (tachycardia, anixety/panic).

On certain days (particularly days 10-24 of my cycle, peaking around ovulation days 16-18), however, it sometimes feels like no amount of food can satiate me. Like I'll just eat practically everything in my refrigerator before bed so the adrenaline will go down enough so I can sleep, and it's just not enough. Or I fall asleep, then wake up 4 hours later ravenously hungry. It's a nightmare.

Yes, I've gone with no starch up to three weeks. It makes no difference with this issue. It doesn't seem to make any difference at all whether I get carbs from starch or sugar.

When I've asked Dr Peat about this, he has suggested b vitamins (which I took for months and saw no change) and thyroid supplementation (which I cannot tolerate).

I have been taking Uridine. It seems to have worked to increase my glycogen storage. Whereas I was ALWAYS hungry before taking it, having to eat or drink orange juice every hour or two, I now go about three or four hours inbetween meals. Taking Uridine the first time made me VERY sleepy, so I only take it at night. It also seems to have improved some of my nervous system as some sensations feel stronger than they used to.

Also... taking enough PROTEIN would help this, as your liver is damaged and increased protein will help it repair. I use casein powder and it's great, especially because it's low in tryptophan, and it is a "slow release" protein, giving you a stream of amino acids for hours and hours.

what's your dose and brand of uridine?

natedawggh

ravster02 said:
what's your dose and brand of uridine?

Ecological Formulas 300 mg. Also, if you break open the capsule and put it under your tongue it apparently absorbs much more by the sublingual route. I posted earlier about it here: viewtopic.php?t=6785

I will stress——while Uridine is useful I do not think it will permanently fix problems without a proper increase in protein. Uridine seems to synthesize with proteins to repair and restore, and if you're not eating right or enough it probably will not have long term permanent effects. If you are eating adequate protein (and this means if you are sick you should be getting more than 100 grams a day and preferably closer to 200), then it will probably give you very great increases in health.

Uridine did also seem to have a sort of regulation of my depression/anxiety, though I am also taking lysine and feverfew for this to lower serotonin...

Peata

I haven't been eliminating or reducing starch (though I don't eat much of it) or fat or worrying too much about foods and macros for about a month now. I've been taking 20 mg. Pepcid. The glycogen problem in the night has been non-existent. Even times where I was afraid it would happen before I went to bed, it doesn't happen. I also don't feel awful going a little longer between meals/snacks during the day anymore. I no longer fear going to sleep (for fear of waking up in a sweaty, panicked terror of nightmares, palpitations, etc.). I guess it's the Pepcid. I'm keeping on with it. Just wanted to update in case it helps anyone.

tara

Peata said:
The glycogen problem in the night has been non-existent. Even times where I was afraid it would happen before I went to bed, it doesn't happen. I also don't feel awful going a little longer between meals/snacks during the day anymore. I no longer fear going to sleep (for fear of waking up in a sweaty, panicked terror of nightmares, palpitations, etc.).
Nice :)

OP
F

freyasam

Wow, I will definitely try this. I completely relate to the fear of going to bed because I hate waking up several times panicked and ravenous.

Parsifal

thebigpeatowski said:
post 69147 Then I gradually started mixing the fructose with organic cane sugar at a half and half ratio, also kept my fat intake very low while doing this.

Why did you stay low fat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Parsifal said:
thebigpeatowski said:
post 69147 Then I gradually started mixing the fructose with organic cane sugar at a half and half ratio, also kept my fat intake very low while doing this.

Why did you stay low fat?

I stayed low fat for several reasons:
1) A Peat practitioner told me to
2) I was trying to lose some excess body fat
3) I was giving my liver/gallbladder digestive system a break for six weeks at a time. I took cheat meals and ate more saturated fat every once in a while.

I no longer eat low fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals