How Can I Improve Glycogen Storage?

Mauritio

I wanted to add those 2 quotes to the discussion maybe it helps someone:

I think the overall message of the studies on caffeine is this - if one can't handle a decent dose of caffeine (200mg - 400mg), taken with food if necessary, without getting a stress response then glycogen stores are poor. Ability to store glycogen is largely determined by liver function, and liver function is a good approximator of overall health. Poor liver function means high estrogen, poor PUFA detoxification, poor conversion of T4 into T3, etc. Most people over 30 have some form of NAFLD - i.e. fatty liver. I posted a study long time ago showing that as little as 2mg/kg human dose taken for 2 weeks restored proper liver fat metabolism and got the liver lean again. Here is that study.
Caffeine stimulates hepatic lipid metabolism by the autophagy-lysosomal pathway in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

So, maybe the "adaptation" the studies above found was simply this - improved liver function and ability to store glycogen. Btw, thyroid hormone also triggers a stress response in people with poor liver function. So, the effect of caffeine is not to somehow innately cause a stress reaction but simply to push a poorly functioning organism beyond its ability to handle energetic demands. As liver function improves (and how long it takes is unique to each person), so does the ability to handle caffeine.

I used to be super sensitive to anything that could stimulate me the slightest, so I couldn’t take most supplements and I was deathly afraid of caffeine as it would ruin my day if I ingested it. Began taking kuinone for maybe 2 months now and i’m able to take all kinds of supplements without any anxiety. Better glycogen storage maybe?
Great supplement @haidut

GreekDemiGod

What determines liver glycogen storage capacity?
Is someone with an athletic physique likely to have much better of it?

J

jb116

B6 as a nutrient is very much involved in glycogen production. Epigenetically, eating high carbs "trains" glut transporters. Depending on liver health (and metabolism generally) and time, the capacity grows. It helps to have an array of glucose sources as well as simple sugars. Don't fear starch, but prep and cook properly.

sunraiser

I think it's a very complex arena, but to simplify it you could say "liver health".

I had a very athletic physique at the same time as being unable to sleep for more than 4-5 hours, then waking up extremely stressed and unable to sleep. People with excellent glycogen storage might find it easier to gain a great physique, but physique certainly doesn't improve glycogen storage if your liver is overstressed or burdened in some way.

ExCarniv

I think it's a very complex arena, but to simplify it you could say "liver health".

I had a very athletic physique at the same time as being unable to sleep for more than 4-5 hours, then waking up extremely stressed and unable to sleep. People with excellent glycogen storage might find it easier to gain a great physique, but physique certainly doesn't improve glycogen storage if your liver is overstressed or burdened in some way.

Same, I'm very lean atm, I play sports, calisthenics, 10-15m brief walks, but I can't sleep more than 3-4 straight hours, seems like low carb, keto, carnivore ****88 up my liver glycogen store capacity.

sunraiser

Same, I'm very lean atm, I play sports, calisthenics, 10-15m brief walks, but I can't sleep more than 3-4 straight hours, seems like low carb, keto, carnivore ****88 up my liver glycogen store capacity.

I only did a very very brief attempt at keto and was never carnivore, but I did shovel meat down for like 3-4 years. Every single day I tried to hit arbitrary protein targets with meat I often wasn't enjoying.

I think excess B12 plays a role, but I don't have a full understanding as to why.

Cirion

Creatine increases glycogen storage in the muscles.

Source? And how much is needed? I for one could use better glycogen storage.

schultz

Source? And how much is needed? I for one could use better glycogen storage.

I checked wikipedia to see if they mentioned it, but they don't. Actually the creatine article is pretty terrible and is missing all kinds of stuff. I noticed the same thing with the aloe article.

Sources tend to say creatine increases water content of the muscle. Well, glycogen is stored with a certain amount of water (like say 1g glycogen + 3g water). So if creatine increases glycogen storage, then maybe that explains some of the extra water?

Some of the studies are about super-compensation, but I don't see why they wouldn't be relevant. I've noticed that a lot of sources say creatine increases water content of the muscle.

Creatine supplementation increases glycogen storage but not GLUT-4 expression in human skeletal muscle. - PubMed - NCBI
"We conclude that creatine ingestion itself stimulates muscle glycogen storage"

[for context, the paper below was saying that they think creatine doesn't increase maximum storage capacity of glycogen but rather glycogen synthesis]
Muscle glycogen supercompensation is enhanced by prior creatine supplementation. - PubMed - NCBI
"Therefore, based on the available data, a more accurate description of the synergy between creatine loading and glycogen loading is that creatine loading influences glycogen synthesis rate rather than maximal storage capacity."

Creatine ingestion augments dietary carbohydrate mediated muscle glycogen supercompensation during the initial 24 h of recovery following prolonged... - PubMed - NCBI
Exercise depleted muscle glycogen content to the same extent in both treatment groups. Creatine supplementation increased muscle total-Cr, free-Cr and phosphocreatine (PCr) content above placebo following 1, 3 and 6 days of supplementation (all P < 0.05). Creatine supplementation also increased muscle glycogen content noticeably above placebo after 1 day of supplementation (P < 0.05), which was sustained thereafter.

Creatine Glycogen.jpg

GreekDemiGod

So, ever since starting peating, I often wake up in the middle of the night, and learned it's due to poor glycogen storage and / or high adrenaline.
And I know for sure that did not happen before, when my overall fat intake was higher and the sugar intake lower, and my starch intake higher.
What I want to know is what is the explanation behind this. Is it due to fat slowing down the insulin response, and thus avoiding the sugar crash / hypoglycemia? And if this is the case, shouldn't sugar always be balanced with protein and / or a bit of fat?
Or maybe before I was deriving a higher amount of energy from fats too.
I am willing to psuh through, for the long-term benefits once my glycogen improves.

Do peatarians who are in excellent health don't ear sugar (OJ or fruits) on their own? Do they now get a sugar crash? And why?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I haven't been eliminating or reducing starch (though I don't eat much of it) or fat or worrying too much about foods and macros for about a month now. I've been taking 20 mg. Pepcid. The glycogen problem in the night has been non-existent. Even times where I was afraid it would happen before I went to bed, it doesn't happen. I also don't feel awful going a little longer between meals/snacks during the day anymore. I no longer fear going to sleep (for fear of waking up in a sweaty, panicked terror of nightmares, palpitations, etc.). I guess it's the Pepcid. I'm keeping on with it. Just wanted to update in case it helps anyone.
Is the pepcid still helping?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals