Better blood sugar regulation with starch vs sugar? | Liver health & Insulin Resistance.

GreekDemiGod

To put it shortly, I have hypoglycemia issues eating only sugars in my diet. I also get hungry often, have to eat every 2hrs to avoid a stress response.
If I eat starch, I can go much longer in between meals and don't get into hypoglycemia as often and not as soon as with sugar.

Why does this happen? This is contrary to the Peat view.
Is my liver health poor? Do I have insulin resistance? Been doing coffee + K2 + Taurine on and off for a long time to no noticeable effect. It only improves if I raise my fat intake significantly, but I don't want to do that. I want to eat a high-carb / high-sugar diet without having these problems.
I used to under-eat a lot during my teenage / growth years.

Note: I mean sugar/starch with some protein and fat.

Last edited:
M

metabolizm

I think the hunger subsides eventually. When I was eating a low-carb diet, the hunger was almost constant, but after a few weeks my blood sugar was stable. I'd imagine the same thing would happen with a low-starch diet.

But maintaining a healthy weight without starch - that's another issue altogether. (Not to say it can't be done. Clearly it can).

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

I think the hunger subsides eventually. When I was eating a low-carb diet, the hunger was almost constant, but after a few weeks my blood sugar was stable. I'd imagine the same thing would happen with a low-starch diet.

But maintaining a healthy weight without starch - that's another issue altogether. (Not to say it can't be done. Clearly it can).
Been peating for 2 years, it's not getting any better.
Not sure what you mean by maintaining healthy weight.

Andman

this may be obvious but are you tracking kcal/macros to make sure youre eating a comparable amount of starch based vs sugar based to have a good comparison?

M

metabolizm

Been peating for 2 years, it's not getting any better.
Not sure what you mean by maintaining healthy weight.

I thought you'd been experimenting with different things for a while. I didn't realise you'd dropped starch for two years.
I just meant not becoming underweight when you rely on sugar instead of starch.

gaze

fruit works best as a condiment, snack, or to quench thirst for me.

otherwise i need starch + fat + protein meals to avoid adrenaline.

for some, like me , its easier to eat until satiation with balanced starch meals. with fruit and especially juice, it's hard to get adequate gauge on hunger because the liquid throws off digestion, so before you know it you've either ate too much or too little sugar which then messes up blood sugar and/or digestion. that's when eating turns into a scientific experiment trying to get the proper liquid/sugar/protein ratio instead of just eating to satisfy hunger

Last edited:

rr1

Sefton10

It only improves if I raise my fat intake significantly, but I don't want to do that.
In my experience you can't nix starch without raising fat. Have you tried cocoa butter as your fat source?

Sefton10

It is not easily accesible in my country. Never tried it.
You can usually buy organic on Amazon relatively cheaply. Works well for me compared to too much animal fat from meat, my hypothesis is it's the stearic acid. Not had starch for maybe a year now, don't miss it and never crave it. Enough fats from cocoa butter, goat milk, feta cheese and eggs balance out the sugar in OJ, milk, honey in my experience.

pauljacob

Thank you for this. How to download this audio file?

Sydneygirl

Oh, ok. There is a download link, under the audio file (it’s the furthest one on the right - the little square with the upward arrow). You can download to your files

pauljacob

Oh, ok. There is a download link, under the audio file (it’s the furthest one on the right - the little square with the upward arrow). You can download to your files
Sydneygirl, do me a favor and right click on the download link, copy it and post it here. I simply can't see it. I use Chrome.

AncestralJoy

True, apart from masa harina that doesn't even feel like starch,it seems more digestible than even orange juice.
how do you use your masa Harina?
I've just got some and I made tortillas that were quite tasty but I haven't tried anything else yet

yerrag

To put it shortly, I have hypoglycemia issues eating only sugars in my diet. I also get hungry often, have to eat every 2hrs to avoid a stress response.
If I eat starch, I can go much longer in between meals and don't get into hypoglycemia as often and not as soon as with sugar.

Why does this happen? This is contrary to the Peat view.
Is my liver health poor? Do I have insulin resistance? Been doing coffee + K2 + Taurine on and off for a long time to no noticeable effect. It only improves if I raise my fat intake significantly, but I don't want to do that. I want to eat a high-carb / high-sugar diet without having these problems.
I used to under-eat a lot during my teenage / growth years.

Note: I mean sugar/starch with some protein and fat.
This isn't contrary to Peat's view, but Peat probably has never had blood sugar issues. You won't ask a billionaire heir how he made his first million. You won't ask a guy who has a heliport atop a mountaintop how to climb a mountain either.

I've had hypoglycemia since my childhood without ever being diagnosed with it. Doctors!

I was sickly, prone to allergic rhinitis, sore throats, and fever and flu. Had plenty of antibiotics growing up. The focus of doctors was diabetes, hypoglycemia was never diagnosed. I don't think the situation has changed.

It was when I insisted with my primary doctor that I have a 5hr oral glucose tolerance test. When results came, my doctor even said my blood sugar was normal. Doctors!

I charted the results, compared it to a book on hypoglycemia, and realized I was hypoglycemic. And then I went to see a naturopathic doctor. Long story short, I got better. He improved my tissue oxygenation by removing mercury from my system - having mercury amalgams removed, undergoing IV chelation. My blood sugar regulation improved. Since that time I didn't have flu anymore.

Yet my blood sugar wasn't perfect still. I had to eat brown rice instead of white, or I would still feel hungry, sleepy, or I would sneeze easily 2-3 hours after a meal, and I had to eat something to keep my blood sugar level up. I knew then that I couldn't eat candy or white bread, or else I would start to hiccup, and that was going to mean I would be sick of fever the next day. It was probably my being very strict eating brown rice that kept me from getting sick.

At that point, brown rice is king. White rice and sugar were just plain evil. It was this way for the next 15 years.

Then I went on a 4-yr cold turkey on PUFA. At the end of it, I decided to test myself. On an empty stomach, I ate a teaspoon of honey. I felt good. The next day I took a teaspoon of white sugar. I felt good also. Then I decided to go back to eating white rice, and I've been eating white rice since then.

I also lost my allergic rhinitis. So I am now flu-free and allergic free.

That is the story of how I climbed the mountain of hypoglycemia.

I don't know your exact situation, so your cause may differ slightly from mine.

I have the fortune of not having gut issues, so I was able to go on brown rice, even though it was fibrous. Because of the fiber, it slowed down the assimilation of sugar into blood from the small intestine. The sugar fed into my body came in trickles instead of a sudden rush, which would happen if white rice and worse, sugar, were eaten. But with a healthy sugar metabolism, one would take to starch or simple sugar quite readily. Sugar is easily absorbed and metabolized by the tissues.

You mentioned liver. It helps that the liver can build glycogen stores, especially at night, so that it would be a source of sugar in between meals when blood sugar would run low. Being low on blood sugar is stressful, as cortisol would kick in, and protein from tissues would be converted to sugar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals