Hotdogs Everyday, Is It Really THAT Bad?

postman

> Not according to this

I've bought many packages claiming sub 1% fat content. Much of which I believe leaches out into paper towels with a bit of microwave cooking. Either the labels are lying or your databases are wrong. I distrust the databases. If the packages claiming 1% fat are wrong, please get in touch with the FDA.
Are those nutritional labels listing the nutritional content per 100 g of food or the nutritional content per serving? I don't know what this FDA business is about lol, I don't even know what product it is you're eating :lol:

tygertgr

An American on limited income can buy very lean turkey bacon products. If you claim otherwise you are simply incorrect. Though I very seriously entertain the idea that you are right and the labels are lying. In which case, I in all seriousness encourage you to complain to the FDA.

That said, I also think Turkey Bacon can super easily be cooked in such a way that the fat drains out. Microwaving in paper towels works, I believe.

postman

An American on limited income can buy very lean turkey bacon products. If you claim otherwise you are simply incorrect. Though I very seriously entertain the idea that you are right and the labels are lying. In which case, I in all seriousness encourage you to complain to the FDA.

That said, I also think Turkey Bacon can super easily be cooked in such a way that the fat drains out. Microwaving in paper towels works, I believe.
rofl tell us what brand of turkey bacon you're eating

tygertgr

I don't for a second believe this product is actually 0% fat, but I bet it's quite low. If you disagree please do take it up with the FDA, in all seriousness.

Attachments

• kwO5RUE0T8ihXSkth_ef6g.jpg
    kwO5RUE0T8ihXSkth_ef6g.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 58
I tend to not believe the nutrition labels of products. According to many databases, medjool dates have very little fat, but on the label of a package of medjool dates taht I bought, the fat content per 50 grams was something like 2 grams of fat per 50 grams. And they also sometimes put the fiber content in the area where the trans fat amount is supposed to be. The ingredients was just dates, therefore, something is wrong with the product's information, and I've seen this happening with many other products, so I just look at the ingredients and use my mental database for judgement instead.

tygertgr

I'd be more likely to believe a niche product like dates has an egregiously wrong label. Most Americans have never eaten a whole date. A mass produced, market consumer product like turkey in the USA is subject to extensive regulation and testing. Some goofy nutrition "database" online is far more likely to be wrong than the labeling. Furthermore, it's just obvious if you handle the stuff (turkey bacon) that it is quite low fat. It's not slippery at all.

postman

I don't for a second believe this product is actually 0% fat, but I bet it's quite low. If you disagree please do take it up with the FDA, in all seriousness.
Cool, I've never seen any bacon product like that. Seems like it's more like sliced turkey fillet, although I don't know the etymology of the word "bacon" so maybe it is an appropriate term. The label does say per 15g serving though, not per 100g, so it's likely that it's somewhere in between 0.01-0.049 g of fat per 15 g serving, and that they are allowed to average it down. But after doing the math on that it's still much leaner than competing products.

It does look very lean, it's this one right? Products - Bacon - Natural Turkey Bacon - Applegate

I'd be more likely to believe a niche product like dates has an egregiously wrong label. Most Americans have never eaten a whole date. A mass produced, market consumer product like turkey in the USA is subject to extensive regulation and testing. Some goofy nutrition "database" online is far more likely to be wrong than the labeling. Furthermore, it's just obvious if you handle the stuff (turkey bacon) that it is quite low fat. It's not slippery at all.
No I think you have found a very unique turkey bacon product that is widely different from all the other ones. nutritionselfdata is not some goofy website, their data comes directly from the USDA. You have either found a very unique turkey bacon product, or the labeling is wrong.

kyle

Processed meats are always very high water content so youre probably not saving much money. See Peats phosphates article.

lvysaur

I don't understand why you wouldn't just get ground beef instead, it's cheaper, tastier, and healthier

Kelj

Hot Dog and Sausage Nutrition Guide | NHDSC

"Hot dogs are also a great source of Vitamin B12 with just one hot dog providing 30 percent of the DV. "

"A 1.5 oz beef hot dog also provides more than 10 percent of the DV of minerals such as phosphorus, selenium and zinc."

"A traditional 1.5 oz beef hot dog delivers 572 mg of sodium (25 percent of DV) and 6 g of saturated fat (29 percent DV)"

Hot Dog Ingredients Guide | NHDSC

• "Beef - Most commonly pieces of meat cut away from steaks or roasts. It is then very finely ground and mixed with other spices. Variety meats or organ meats are not typically used in hot dogs or sausages and if organs are used, the specific organ will be included in the ingredients statement on the package and the front of the package will declare “with variety meats” or “with meat byproducts.”

Most hot dogs I see have PUFAs. Sure, some are probably really low fat and not bad, but those mixed varieties aren't really good in my view (the chicken+pork+beef ones).

Even some 100% beef ones I've seen still can contain grams of PUFAs. In fact, nearly everything I come across has PUFAs now that I think of it -- avoiding them altogether can be pretty challenging and expensive. With all of the oils also added to things you buy like canned meats/vegetables/etc. you can even be bombarded with them unexpectedly (I've had some difficulty finding some canned seafood that didn't have certain oils added or etc.).

And I'm not saying you need to 100% avoid PUFAs as that may be unnecessary. What's more realistic for most people would be cutting back on them more often and maybe supplementing with vitamin E + replacing some of the PUFA oils with occasional butter/shortening, sprays, or just different ways of cooking/foods altogether.

I'm actually surprised that many people don't even wonder or worry about what they eat and aren't very conscious about it. The average person might be getting easily 30+ grams of PUFAs a day unknowingly, while also being deprived of nutrients. Of course I'm not judging or blaming anyone per se, but health is is often more misguided/underrated in lots of people (myself included -- still learning and making changes slowly).

In general, I personally avoid hot dogs, but they're okay in my view if lean-ish/not mixed or byproduct-ish/are mostly natural and nitrate free. I think some turkey ones taste good with some BBQ sauces. I definitely wouldn't want to eat them regularly though, for the most part.

Risingfire

Beef hotdogs are delicious! I don't blame you. I'm going home to buy some and then grill!

tygertgr

I think you have found a very unique turkey bacon product

Extremely lean turkey products are consistently available in USA grocery stores. Extremely lean ground turkey is readily available. Maybe not where you are.

I wouldn't make it a primary protein source, but a little bit microwaved for lunch works quite well. Piece of lean turkey out of the office freezer with a glass of milk and a few slices of good white bread: good idea. You can also freeze the bread and toast or microwave. Convenience is vital in many "contexts".

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals