Hotdogs Everyday, Is It Really THAT Bad?

lyfe

Hey everybody,

I am on a very fixed income and cant afford expensive meats for the time being - although that will change. I started buying these great value brand hot dogs and started eating them almost everyday for quite some time before I stopped. I was eating about 28-30 of them a week and was my primary meat source. I ate 4 a day with eggs. As crazy as it sounds - I felt incredible doing this - and had this strange sensation that I my body loved what I was doing and was utilizing them very well. I was wondering how bad you think it is for someone to do this? Here are the ingredients. I imagine that organ meats are used in hot dogs which is maybe why they made me feel so good?

Ingredients: Beef, Water, Contains 2% Or Less Of Cultured Corn Sugar, Vinegar, Flavorings, Dextrose, Sea Salt, Celery Juice, Lactic Acid Starter Culture, Spices, Sodium Phosphates, Extract Of Paprika.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Uncured-Beef-Franks-14-Oz/277874469

Gone Peating

Should be fine, they are made of beef and beef is great! I think pork hot dogs, normal hot dogs, are more problematic because they are high in pufa. The only thing questionable about these is that the cows are not raised very humanely, I would guess, if that is something important to you - it also affects the quality of the food too.

The one problem Peat would have is that there is lactic acid culture in there, but it's such a small amount that if you don't notice negative effects then I think it's ok

Cirion

I'm kind of in the mindset now that almost all foods are OK, if you can digest it. Some foods may require better digestive power than others, especially more processed foods and things high in tryptophan, pufa..., but if you can handle it, temps and pulses are fine, you feel good, why not? I agree with Ray on his dietary suggestions in general, especially for those with compromised digestion/health. This is one reason why my current goals are to boost my digestive power so I can eat more than 6 different foods... and not immediately get inflamed if I deviate from said 6 foods :banghead:

Gone Peating

I'm kind of in the mindset now that almost all foods are OK, if you can digest it. Some foods may require better digestive power than others, especially more processed foods and things high in tryptophan, pufa..., but if you can handle it, temps and pulses are fine, you feel good, why not? I agree with Ray on his dietary suggestions in general, especially for those with compromised digestion/health. This is one reason why my current goals are to boost my digestive power so I can eat more than 6 different foods... and not immediately get inflamed if I deviate from said 6 foods :banghead:

What 6 foods are those? Have you tried supplement with exogenous stomach acid?

Cirion

What 6 foods are those? Have you tried supplement with exogenous stomach acid?

For me basically the only foods that reliably work for me are:

Grapes/grape juice
Orange juice
White Rice
White Potato
Gelatin
Honey
Maple Syrup
Apple juice

& When I say work reliably, I mean ability to obtain waking temp of 98.6F and waking pulse of 85BPM, and also lose or at least maintain bodyweight.

.. Okay, that's 8 foods I guess :P

Yeah supplements is a thought, but my latest experiment is going to be work up to high dose caffeine to boost digestive power. & Also clean out the liver.

redsun

Hey everybody,

I am on a very fixed income and cant afford expensive meats for the time being - although that will change. I started buying these great value brand hot dogs and started eating them almost everyday for quite some time before I stopped. I was eating about 28-30 of them a week and was my primary meat source. I ate 4 a day with eggs. As crazy as it sounds - I felt incredible doing this - and had this strange sensation that I my body loved what I was doing and was utilizing them very well. I was wondering how bad you think it is for someone to do this? Here are the ingredients. I imagine that organ meats are used in hot dogs which is maybe why they made me feel so good?

Ingredients: Beef, Water, Contains 2% Or Less Of Cultured Corn Sugar, Vinegar, Flavorings, Dextrose, Sea Salt, Celery Juice, Lactic Acid Starter Culture, Spices, Sodium Phosphates, Extract Of Paprika.

Regular ground beef is pretty cheap and in general is much better nutrition. The leaner varieties say 85% lean beef is not too lean so a great source of protein and calories in the form of fats that is affordable AND nutrition wise is high in B-vitamins and most minerals. There are also about a million and one ways to eat ground beef as well. Hot dogs are prob nice and easy to eat and prepare because they are already flavored but generally are poor in nutrients. They are too high in fat and low in protein and micronutrients to constitute a major part of one's diet in the long term.

nbznj

Grapes/grape juice
Orange juice
White Rice
White Potato
Gelatin
Honey
Maple Syrup
Apple juice

Incredibly similar to my super cheap grocery shopping list:
- bananas
- fresh oj
- basmati
- sweet potatoes
- honey
- collagen
- optional: nuts and seeds

1 supplement for me which sounds crappy but does the job - optimum nutrition serious mass gainer. I’m an awful eater and I like extra vitamins and minerals.

OP
lyfe

lyfe

For me basically the only foods that reliably work for me are:

Grapes/grape juice
Orange juice
White Rice
White Potato
Gelatin
Honey
Maple Syrup
Apple juice

& When I say work reliably, I mean ability to obtain waking temp of 98.6F and waking pulse of 85BPM, and also lose or at least maintain bodyweight.

.. Okay, that's 8 foods I guess :P

Yeah supplements is a thought, but my latest experiment is going to be work up to high dose caffeine to boost digestive power. & Also clean out the liver.
Can you expound upon some of the symptoms you have when you deviate from eating those foods ?

Cirion

Can you expound upon some of the symptoms you have when you deviate from eating those foods ?

Lol I'm pretty messed up, so no need to copy me. But meat, most dairy in particular seem to mess me up. Even "safe" meat like grass fed beef, and even lean grass fed beef. Basically, estrogenic / serotonin / too high blood sugar symptoms like brain fog, horrible sleep quality, no libido, no motivation, no energy. All that fun stuff.

OP
lyfe

lyfe

Lol I'm pretty messed up, so no need to copy me. But meat, most dairy in particular seem to mess me up. Even "safe" meat like grass fed beef, and even lean grass fed beef. Basically, estrogenic / serotonin / too high blood sugar symptoms like brain fog, horrible sleep quality, no libido, no motivation, no energy. All that fun stuff.
I can definitely relate ! I’m still in the process of finding exactly what works for me and what doesn’t. I seem to do well on gelatin as well - and have been making grape juice jello lately and slamming back the powder in coffee. How do you prefer it ?

Cirion

I can definitely relate ! I’m still in the process of finding exactly what works for me and what doesn’t. I seem to do well on gelatin as well - and have been making grape juice jello lately and slamming back the powder in coffee. How do you prefer it ?

Yeah keeping track of what foods work for you is really the key. Like I say, I think the ultimate goal is to increase the # of foods you can handle, and that's a good benchmark to see how your health is. But until then, definitely stick to foods that work. Yeah gelatin is great because its the ONLY protein that is zero tryptophan. Gelatin and potato, for me, seems to be the ultimate combo for safe proteins. Potato, even ray peat has said is an excellent protein source, even better than eggs (his words, not mine), and potatoes are the ONLY protein that do not form ammonia by products also. Potatoes are actually moderately high in protein (as far as plant proteins go) at 1 gram of protein per ounce. This is because of the keto-acids contained in them. If you look up the nutrition facts on potato, it says only 0.5 gram per 1 ounce, and that's why. Keto-acids are basically pre-digested proteins. I have done grape juice jello as well! That's the only way I personally do gelatin.

BingDing

Is it really THAT bad? Don't we ask that question all the time? A little carrageenan won't hurt much, will it? Unfortunately the answer is usually yes. As I see it, the problem with food additives and adulterants is that the negatives are cumulative. One nominally bad thing once a month is no big deal, multiple bad things every day is eventually going to have an effect on your health.

I assume cultured corn syrup is like modified corn starch, nobody knows WTF it really is. Flavorings are typically hydrolyzed corn or soy protein and probably have MSG in them. Celery juice is used a lot because it is high in naturally occurring nitrates, so manufacturers don't have to list nitrate in the ingredients and it can be used in organic cured meats. Sodium phosphate is phosphorus, which is OK as long as you get enough calcium.

If you are young and healthy it is not worth worrying about, but there is probably a better cheap protein in the long run.

tygertgr

As noted above, lean ground beef is a better value. You'll have to cook it, though, in contrast to pre-cooked sausages. If you're truly pressed for cash Turkey Bacon is a great option, IMHO. I'm not pressed for cash and eat it all the time anyway. It's lean and they grind in a lot of collagen. I don't know but I bet they mix in some bone and organ meat, too, on the sly. It's just so super easy and cheap to toss a few strips into the microwave for a minute in a paper towel and get some good protein.

postman

Hey everybody,

Beef fat is only 4% pufa whereas pig fat is commonly like 30% pufa. Should be fine if you feel good on them.

postman

As noted above, lean ground beef is a better value. You'll have to cook it, though, in contrast to pre-cooked sausages. If you're truly pressed for cash Turkey Bacon is a great option, IMHO. I'm not pressed for cash and eat it all the time anyway. It's lean and they grind in a lot of collagen. I don't know but I bet they mix in some bone and organ meat, too, on the sly. It's just so super easy and cheap to toss a few strips into the microwave for a minute in a paper towel and get some good protein.
Turkey bacon is hardly a lean meat. In fact it's slightly fattier than the beef sausages that @lyfe linked to. Unless you have some special kind of turkey bacon where you live.

I don't see what's wrong with the sausages unless you don't feel good on them. If they made you feel sick it might be worth taking a second look at the additives and whatnot but as long as you feel good, meh. They're a bit fatty but beef fat is one of the best fats you could eat and unless you're trying to do a very low fat diet (in which case you probably shouldn't be eating ground beef either) then it isn't a problem.

tygertgr

> Turkey bacon is hardly a lean meat.

Yes it is. According to the listed contents. If they are lying to the USA FDA please take action.

postman

> Turkey bacon is hardly a lean meat.

Yes it is. According to the listed contents. If they are lying to the USA FDA please take action.
Not according to this and many other nutritional databases Turkey bacon, cooked Nutrition Facts & Calories

Per 100g:
Total Fat 27.9 g
Saturated Fat 8.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 10.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6.8 g
Total Omega-3 fatty acids 440 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids 6059 mg

And the fat ratio is probably even worse considering what they feed the animals these days and the fact that turkey isn't a ruminant animal.

Last edited:

tygertgr

> Not according to this

I've bought many packages claiming sub 1% fat content. Much of which I believe leaches out into paper towels with a bit of microwave cooking. Either the labels are lying or your databases are wrong. I distrust the databases. If the packages claiming 1% fat are wrong, please get in touch with the FDA.