1. Spring Sale 10% Off @ LifeGivingStore.com Till June 10th With Coupon Code: SPRING2020
    Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. LifeGivingStore.com New Products List:
    Natural Dessicated Thyroid

Magnesium Hydroxide

Dismiss Notice

High Dose Mk4 Hairloss

Discussion in 'Hair & Nails' started by Arrade, May 21, 2018.

1. Arrade

Arrade Member

"Approximately 50% of the WT mice fed the enriched high dose MK4 diet also had areas of hair loss and skin lesions consistent with increased scratching."

Vitamin K does not prevent soft tissue mineralization in a mouse model of pseudoxanthoma elasticum

I've been using 45mg mk4 for about a week and my hairline has definitely receded, the scalp is also more itchy and oily. I can notice a negative sensation after a single 15 mg dose.

I have two theories for this:

1. It actually increases blood flow (removing arterial calcification) and removed hair that was going anyways. Frankly I'm really starting to doubt this theory for hairloss, that losing hair is a sign you'll soon be growing more. I haven't seen a lot of promising data that MK4 by itself helps with soft tissue calcification and blood flow.

2. A,K,D need to be in balance to properly utilize calcium. By taking such a high dose of one specific form of Vitamin K I've actually caused calcification/hypercalcemia. This could also be related to the bump in testosterone.

It would be my suggestion to stay away from MK4 if you're worried about hairloss.
    I'm also thinking for heart health, it's best to use mk7.

2. Broken man

Broken man Member

3. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

Even though there is no evidence of vitamin K toxicitiy, I'm wondering if it is inappropriate to take such large doses when the other fat soluble vitamins are not in proportion.
    I cannot say that a dose of 2-5 mg mk4 would have a negative effect.

4. ddjd

ddjd Member

That just seems like crazy amounts! 5mg daily I think is too much. I think 5mg twice a week is good maintenance dose

5. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

I'm not supplementing anything but LEF and Jarrow mk7. I tried this because all the japanese studies use this dose.
    Thanks for the advice

6. xetawaves

xetawaves Member

Man that's a lot of vitamin k lol

7. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

People keep saying that... when it’s the dosage used in all the studies

8. Broken man

Broken man Member

Its not high but vit K2 MK4 is oxidant like caffeine or nicotine so if you are full of pufa, you will have side effects. What is your diet?

9. xetawaves

xetawaves Member

Do you mean mcg?

10. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

No all the studies are 45 mg

11. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

Chicken/steak with vegetables.
    Cereal or Klondike cakes with turkey sausage
    Any oil I cook with is monounsaturated

12. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

So what do you mean? Why does the oxidization cause side effects? Is it a purging process?

13. xetawaves

xetawaves Member

How are you gonna say 45mg isn't a high dose of k? It absolutely is.

14. sunraiser

sunraiser Member

Option 2.

You’re not only messing with other fat solubles but also calcium, magnesium and other mineral metabolism. It doesn’t mean you have hypercalcemia though. Vit K seems to increase my calcium requirements.

A rule of thumb: anything that goes much beyond a natural physiological dose obtainable from food is going to imbalance something, somewhere.

People on this forum are desperate and will consistently recommend megadosing various different things from one month to the next.

Use your common sense and see if it feels right to you.

Also, aren’t the studies exclusively mk4?

15. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

Hmm, perhaps it caused an excess need for calcium that still caused me an issue. I agree with what you are saying.
    Look below, if you go to the page I posted this on I made a couple other points for mk7

16. Obi-wan

Obi-wan Member

Per @haidut your body will take as much Vit K as you give it. I do 10 drops per day of Kuinone(K2 MK4) (15mgs). MK7 is a marketing gimmick per Haidut. 5 on each hip for bone strength since the drugs I take for advanced prostate cancer weakens my bones. As a side effect I have a nice wider jaw and look younger. Also no cavities...Read Weston Price. One of my favorite supplements even though it is expensive. I also take 1 or 2 aspirins per day.

17. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

Just because your body takes it doesn't mean it's optimal or even healthy. Haidut himself said he felt bad on 30 mg mk4. Haidut hasn't given a lot of evidence mk7 is a marketing gimmick, I've seen studies and anecdotes pro Mk7 i.e. someone discussing Linus Pauling's work and saying they reduced blood pressure, etc but only after using mk7 did their arterial calcification score come back lower.
    Mk4 is definitely useful for bones and testosterone, that does not mean it's better for heart health than another chain of k2.

18. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

Personally I felt my estrogen may have been too low with 45 mg mk4 orally, i would get surges of anger and felt a lack of emotion beyond a range I would consider healthy or normal. In some ways it felt great, but absolutely did my scalp become itchier/oilier and my hairline receded noticeably.

19. OP
    Arrade

Arrade Member

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I reiterate that low dose mk4 I have no experience with and cannot say anything negative. 15mg may not be so bad

20. baccheion

baccheion Member

Vitamin K2 MK-4 stimulates the thyroid which can result in more beta-carotene being converted to active vitamin A. Vitamin K2 MK-4 also helps along the release of vitamin A from hepatic stores.

Hypervitaminosis A - Wikipedia

Vitamin E is said to help with symptoms of excess vitamin A. Also magnesium and vitamin D.