HELP!! painful ribs from coughing!!!

June

Help...I don't know what to do. I'm coughing so badly and I may have bruised my ribs! I don't think I'll stop coughing cause I accidentally inhaled powdered food few weeks ago. How do I minimize the pain from the coughing?? How do I know I didn't crack my ribs?? I'm really scared. Should I restrict with something like a cloth? I'm not sure if a cough suppressant will help? Even with a tiny cough my left bottom back part of ribs are painful. I'm dealing with a bleeding issue (I'm female) and this is such sh***ing luck that I also have a constant cough now. I'll have to sit on toilet if I start bleeding again. How likely is it I just pulled a muscle??

I tried nebulizing, but the stuck particles are causing constant mucus to build up in lungs or back bottom of throat. It feels like I have bulb in middle of throat...which i imagine what pharyngeal pouch must feel like. I'm so fearful of what will happen if these particles don't shift or move. Please no horror stories..as I'm super anxious at this moment.

Last edited:

HeyThere

Are you having pain other than when coughing? If so, you may have displaced a rib which a chiropractor can push back in (if that is the case). Happened to me from coughing and I couldn't even spit gum out of the car window it was that painful. Maybe yours are just very sore.

Hmm, weeks ago with the inhaled food? I dunno, that's quite a long time and I would get that checked out. I hate doctors so I get the hesitance, but not sure what it would take to get that stuff out?? I wish for you the best outcome with the easiest means... big hugs.

Marcia

Forum Supporter
If you look up homeopathic Bryonia, there is an indication that the pain that responds to this remedy is better by bracing or holding the painful area to prevent it from moving. This is often seen when the cough irritates the throat chest, ribs or any body part. Bryonia 30C will often come to the rescue if the other symptoms line up; such as excessive thirst, irritability, and wanting to be left alone and not move since movement aggravates the pain.

belcanto

I felt like I pulled a muscle earlier this year, and it's so painful - so sorry this has happened to you. I did wrap my ribs and that did help. I also did a virtual urgent care visit and the doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer and a lidocaine pain patch. Hope you feel better soon!

mostlylurking

I felt like I pulled a muscle earlier this year, and it's so painful - so sorry this has happened to you. I did wrap my ribs and that did help. I also did a virtual urgent care visit and the doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer and a lidocaine pain patch. Hope you feel better soon!
The lidocaine pain patch sounds like a good idea!

@June Pleurisy: Pleurisy: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment & Prevention

What is pleurisy?​

Pleurisy (“PLUR-uh-see”) happens when the lining (tissue layer) around your lungs or the lining on the inside wall of your chest swells up. This makes the two layers rub against each other, causing sharp pains. Pleurisy is also called pleuritis.

Your lungs and the inside of your chest are each lined with a thin layer called pleura. The space between them (pleural space) is filled with fluid that allows them to slide smoothly along each other when you breathe, like oil in a machine. When one or both layers become swollen (inflamed), they rub painfully against each other instead.

How do I know if I have pleurisy?​

Pleurisy causes chest pain that’s sharp and stabbing. There are lots of different conditions that can cause chest pain, and many of them need immediate medical attention. The only way to know for sure if you have pleurisy is to get checked by your healthcare provider.

How do you get pleurisy?​

You can get pleurisy when inflammation from your lungs — caused by a virus, bacteria or other illness — moves into your pleurae, causing them to swell up and rub against each other. This can also happen if there’s a blockage (like a tumor) or damage to your lung.

What causes pleurisy?​

If you’re otherwise healthy, you’re most likely to get pleurisy from a virus (like the flu), bacteria or other infection in your lungs. Infections can cause inflammation in your pleurae, which gives you chest pain.

You can also get pleurisy from:

Is pleurisy contagious?​

While the viruses and bacteria that can cause pleurisy are contagious, pleurisy itself is not.

-end paste-

I remember getting pleurisy about 49 years ago when I was around 25, when I had the flu. It really hurt really bad for about 3-4 weeks. I had to hold myself and try to not cough hard because it hurt so bad. I lived through it but it was extremely painful. Sorry for your problem. You can probably find out more about pleurisy by doing an internet search.

OP
J

June

Thanks Everyone! Can't express my gratitude for these replies. Sorry for late reply but the last couple of days have been rough with the pain! I will definitely look into these suggestions, lidocaine/homeopath. I have resorted to using a back brace positioned higher and tightening it while walking around the house but removing when I sit and putting a pillow against the ribs when I need to cough. I heated the crap out of my left side with an electric heating pad and it is helping some but still painful. The left side is definitely swollen when I asked my mom to inspect any differences between the two sides. How do I know if rib is displaced? Or how do I know it's Pleurisy as opposed to strained/torn muscle? If it is a cracked rib, will I see bruising? Regarding the inhaled powder, I'm getting constant phlegm from my left lung which I am coughing up. Because it is food product, chicken liver powder, I wonder if the body will either cough it up or it becomes "absorbed" in the body by some enzymatic activity. Or does it stay forever? I know people who have inhaled smoke from fires have lung issues but would food be different? I'm afraid to get an xray since I have thyroid issues =( The foreign feeling is anywhere from my tonsils/thyroid down to my left lung. I hope it will cough up with the phlegm but what if it's stuck in some tissue crevice somewhere? This cough has been ongoing for several weeks now. I assume if I go to the doctor, they will just give me a puffer to open the airways?

ddjd

Help...I don't know what to do. I'm coughing so badly and I may have bruised my ribs! I don't think I'll stop coughing cause I accidentally inhaled powdered food few weeks ago. How do I minimize the pain from the coughing?? How do I know I didn't crack my ribs?? I'm really scared. Should I restrict with something like a cloth? I'm not sure if a cough suppressant will help? Even with a tiny cough my left bottom back part of ribs are painful. I'm dealing with a bleeding issue (I'm female) and this is such sh***ing luck that I also have a constant cough now. I'll have to sit on toilet if I start bleeding again. How likely is it I just pulled a muscle??

I tried nebulizing, but the stuck particles are causing constant mucus to build up in lungs or back bottom of throat. It feels like I have bulb in middle of throat...which i imagine what pharyngeal pouch must feel like. I'm so fearful of what will happen if these particles don't shift or move. Please no horror stories..as I'm super anxious at this moment.
no cold or flu symptomns? theres a pretty terrible flu (covid bioweapon) going round germany at the moment and people have these terrible coughs that wont go away after 3-4 weeks

OP
J

June

no cold or flu symptomns? theres a pretty terrible flu (covid bioweapon) going round germany at the moment and people have these terrible coughs that wont go away after 3-4 weeks
Oh no I didn't get sick. I'm pretty much housebound. My mom was there when I inhaled the powder. She was actually the reason it happened lol. She kept asking me a question while I was taking it, and by reflex I tried to answer her, I inhaled and then started coughing like mad. If only I could turn back time.

HumanLife

That sucks that your coughing has become so bad...

Lately I have been coughing with my teeth gripped together. It's easier on the body and jaw.

HeyThere

Thanks Everyone! Can't express my gratitude for these replies. Sorry for late reply but the last couple of days have been rough with the pain! I will definitely look into these suggestions, lidocaine/homeopath. I have resorted to using a back brace positioned higher and tightening it while walking around the house but removing when I sit and putting a pillow against the ribs when I need to cough. I heated the crap out of my left side with an electric heating pad and it is helping some but still painful. The left side is definitely swollen when I asked my mom to inspect any differences between the two sides. How do I know if rib is displaced? Or how do I know it's Pleurisy as opposed to strained/torn muscle? If it is a cracked rib, will I see bruising? Regarding the inhaled powder, I'm getting constant phlegm from my left lung which I am coughing up. Because it is food product, chicken liver powder, I wonder if the body will either cough it up or it becomes "absorbed" in the body by some enzymatic activity. Or does it stay forever? I know people who have inhaled smoke from fires have lung issues but would food be different? I'm afraid to get an xray since I have thyroid issues =( The foreign feeling is anywhere from my tonsils/thyroid down to my left lung. I hope it will cough up with the phlegm but what if it's stuck in some tissue crevice somewhere? This cough has been ongoing for several weeks now. I assume if I go to the doctor, they will just give me a puffer to open the airways?

You know, if you go to the doctor, you don't HAVE TO do anything they suggest they want to do to you.

What do you have to lose by going? We always think we HAVE to do what they say. You can always say "OK let me try to see what happens in the next 2 weeks, and if it doesn't get better, I'll be sick and tired of this and will come back to try what you suggested".Again, that could just be words to appease your doc, or maybe it will be what you end up doing. Also, ask for alternative ideas from your doctor. Get a second opinion if you need to.

I'd go to the doc. This has been a very long time.

mostlylurking

I accidentally inhaled powdered food few weeks ago
O.M.G. I didn't catch this part until I reread your first post. You could have bacterial pneumonia. My father got that from aspirating a pea down his wind pipe. They put him in the hospital for treatment for several days so he wouldn't die.
How do I know if rib is displaced? Or how do I know it's Pleurisy as opposed to strained/torn muscle?
Sometimes you really do need to go to the doctor.

I've had a rib/ribs displace on a pretty regular basis when I was hypothyroid and not being adequately treated. My cartilage got mushy and my rib would get out of place. My chiropractor would put me back together.

Marcia

Forum Supporter
Forgive me. I didn’t see anything about you inhaling a powder in your initial post bayou should definitely be evaluated by a physician.

OP
J

June

That sucks that your coughing has become so bad...

Lately I have been coughing with my teeth gripped together. It's easier on the body and jaw.
Yes I am clenching my teeth but it is causing some fatigue in the jaw too.

You know, if you go to the doctor, you don't HAVE TO do anything they suggest they want to do to you.

What do you have to lose by going? We always think we HAVE to do what they say. You can always say "OK let me try to see what happens in the next 2 weeks, and if it doesn't get better, I'll be sick and tired of this and will come back to try what you suggested".Again, that could just be words to appease your doc, or maybe it will be what you end up doing. Also, ask for alternative ideas from your doctor. Get a second opinion if you need to.

I'd go to the doc. This has been a very long time.
Oh I just meant, doctors won't have a solution that would be helpful. I can almost predict what their treatments can be. Like when you go in with an issue and they send you away telling you to get some rest and drink more water. That always irks me.

O.M.G. I didn't catch this part until I reread your first post. You could have bacterial pneumonia. My father got that from aspirating a pea down his wind pipe. They put him in the hospital for treatment for several days so he wouldn't die.

Sometimes you really do need to go to the doctor.

I've had a rib/ribs displace on a pretty regular basis when I was hypothyroid and not being adequately treated. My cartilage got mushy and my rib would get out of place. My chiropractor would put me back together.
That's okay! I was literally just typing out loud to myself saying "Oh no, I'm certain I'm not sick" lol. But a pea sounds alarming! Thats a big foreign object! Did they have to take it out? Or did it absorb itself? What was his treatment? I'm coughing up alot of phlegm so I don't know if my body is slowly expelling it? What symptoms did he have for the bacterial pneumonia? I was initially steaming with oregano oil and it is STRONG.

Forgive me. I didn’t see anything about you inhaling a powder in your initial post bayou should definitely be evaluated by a physician.
It's no problem but yes, I inhaled that powder and it was no fun.

With all this said, how safe is it to have the thyroid area x-rayed? Should I be worried for my thyroid since I have high ANTI-TPO?

Last edited:

mostlylurking

That's okay! I was literally just typing out loud to myself saying "Oh no, I'm certain I'm not sick" lol. But a pea sounds alarming! Thats a big foreign object! Did they have to take it out? Or did it absorb itself? What was his treatment? I'm coughing up alot of phlegm so I don't know if my body is slowly expelling it? What symptoms did he have for the bacterial pneumonia? I was initially steaming with oregano oil and it is STRONG.
I was a little kid when this happened. I don't know the details of his treatment, sorry. Do not discount the possible danger of growing bacteria on powdered food that has been inhaled into warm moist lungs.

Marcia

Forum Supporter
June, you may not need an x-ray. At this point, I think it would be wise to see a physician who can auscultate your chest and evaluate your vital signs. X-rays are not something that should ever be done without a good reason. Persistent coughing with pain could as noted by others, may be a sign of pneumonia, which could be serious. That would be a good reason to take an x-ray to rule out any pathology.
I personally take potassium iodide before and the homeopathic remedy, x-ray, after the procedure if I subject myself to any x-rays.
However, some people can't take iodine, and this important to know before you consider using it .

Peatress

About the same time as the roll out of the winter flu/covid jabs

PopSocket

no ones taking them. even the sheep have woken up

Yeah, seems like vaccines are frowned upon even by the asleep nowadays. The spraying is in overdrive right now though and it seems it combines well with EMF to cause all sorts of weird symptoms. Indoor air quality is super important I think with a good air purifier. I bet there are other factors that we are not aware of. They find all sorts of innovative ways to poison the population.

@June If something is irritating the lungs I would do nebulizing + proning to get the stuff out and clean the lungs.

I do proning with extreme angle with forced coughing for just a couple of minutes and it seems to work better than the standard less steep angles when it comes to removing stuff from the bottom of the lungs. Too much blood flow to the head and heart strain should be avoided by minimizing time. Also legs can be horizontal with just the torso in a descending angle to avoid too much blood going the wrong direction. Leaning downwards from the side of the bed is good enough usually.

Last edited:

Peatress

no ones taking them. even the sheep have woken up
The UK

2 November 2023 – Over 10 million autumn vaccinations reported for COVID
As of Thursday, 2 November 2023 a total of 10,005,459 COVID vaccinations have been reported as administered by the NHS in England since the start of the autumn campaign on 11 September 2023.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals